FM attending working in ED looking for 2nd Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngtony469

Reaction score
I've researched far and wide. I'm currently a US Citizen DO board certified in FM. Pass all boards with decent scores. I have been working for a large CMG for the past 3 years as an attending in a suburban ED (roughtly 30,000 visits per year). I've realized that I wanted more and the opportunity to teach EM. I understand there are many barriers that I have to overcome. I am in the position where I would be comfortable going anywhere to accomplish this goal and would do whatever is needed for this goal to happen. The barriers are..

1) Funding. This seems to be the biggest issue I've researched on here and the internet.
2) I'm a DO
3) Opening positions...

I guess what I'm asking is what I need to do to even have such an opportunity?

Members don't see this ad.

Tons of programs are over their cap every year and a certain percentage of the people they match are not funded. So I certainly dont think funding will completely hold you back.

We matched a former DO FP doc who did exactly what you did. Finished and worked in an ED for awhile, then went back to residency. He was an excellent resident. Residents with prior training can bring a ton of value to a program if they come with the right mindset.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tons of programs are over their cap every year and a certain percentage of the people they match are not funded. So I certainly dont think funding will completely hold you back.

We matched a former DO FP doc who did exactly what you did. Finished and worked in an ED for awhile, then went back to residency. He was an excellent resident. Residents with prior training can bring a ton of value to a program if they come with the right mindset.

I would go into the program with the best attitude and willingness to learn. This gives me a bit of hope. Thank You

Reactions: 1 users
Difficult, but perhaps not impossible. Your best bet would be in applying to brand new programs willing to take you on. I had a colleague who was FM and obsessed with going back to do an EM residency after working in the field for 6+ years and he applied all over and did not get in. I don't know the details of his application. I'm glad he didn't make it because I think it was a terrible decision. Why? That's an enormous amount of money lost and little gained for the effort. It's merely an additional accolade that doesn't translate to any real world advantage unless you wanted to work in academics or say...a trauma center in a major city. Otherwise, there are more than enough jobs for FM guys with ED experience. Hell, my regional director for an EM CMG is FM boarded. I'm in a busy 65K ED and half my guys are FM or IM. Almost 100% of the docs at our sister hospital are FM.

If this is an obsession...fine. I get obsessions, but just make sure you have tangible rewards for the personal sacrifices you intend to make as well as the sacrifices your family will also make if you drag them through the endeavor.

CMG residencies should be salivating for you. A trained, experienced doc with EM experience. They would jump at you moving the meat.

Difficult, but perhaps not impossible. Your best bet would be in applying to brand new programs willing to take you on. I had a colleague who was FM and obsessed with going back to do an EM residency after working in the field for 6+ years and he applied all over and did not get in. I don't know the details of his application. I'm glad he didn't make it because I think it was a terrible decision. Why? That's an enormous amount of money lost and little gained for the effort. It's merely an additional accolade that doesn't translate to any real world advantage unless you wanted to work in academics or say...a trauma center in a major city. Otherwise, there are more than enough jobs for FM guys with ED experience. Hell, my regional director for an EM CMG is FM boarded. I'm in a busy 65K ED and half my guys are FM or IM. Almost 100% of the docs at our sister hospital are FM.

If this is an obsession...fine. I get obsessions, but just make sure you have tangible rewards for the personal sacrifices you intend to make as well as the sacrifices your family will also make if you drag them through the endeavor.

This actually makes me feel good...then bad...then good again. I think the main reason is my love of learning. I just always want to progress through learning more. I'm 32 years old. I feel like if I'm going to try and do such things, this is the moment. I will give this a shot for this year and maybe next to see if this is how this God/Universe wants the stars to align. Thank you for the response

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to crash ER forum but people switching specialties is a soap box of mine. I’m not an ER doc but have experience switching specialties. I asked the question about funding at every interview I went to, switching I only had 1 year of funding and 6 years unfounded (remainder of residency and 3 yr fellowships). The only places that will well and truly have issues with funding are very small hospitals who rely on it to keep doors open. Most large community and definitely academic programs have no issues with covering cost of a resident especially since you’ll be generating much more value for them than what they are paying you. Furthermore you’d probably bring value by already being an experienced doc, the only thing that might come up during the rank list discussion is if there is any concern about going back to not just trainee but intern status and not really having the chance to make your own decisions after years of working as an attending (that’s what I got asked and hadn’t even made it out of my original residency).

Sorry to crash ER forum but people switching specialties is a soap box of mine. I’m not an ER doc but have experience switching specialties. I asked the question about funding at every interview I went to, switching I only had 1 year of funding and 6 years unfounded (remainder of residency and 3 yr fellowships). The only places that will well and truly have issues with funding are very small hospitals who rely on it to keep doors open. Most large community and definitely academic programs have no issues with covering cost of a resident especially since you’ll be generating much more value for them than what they are paying you. Furthermore you’d probably bring value by already being an experienced doc, the only thing that might come up during the rank list discussion is if there is any concern about going back to not just trainee but intern status and not really having the chance to make your own decisions after years of working as an attending (that’s what I got asked and hadn’t even made it out of my original residency).

I’ve thought about this a lot actually if I could go back and have to report everything like all over again. I think I would just appreciate the opportunity to do such things.