FM residency program selection...help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenpink

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello:
I'm at the point where I'm just starting to look at family medicine programs. I would like to stay in the northest (NY, NJ, PA, CT, etc). My question is....are there any sources where one can find about ranking of FM programs, or any information on which ones seem to be better than others? In looking at the AAFP website list of residencies, I felt overwhelmed at the prospect of applying to dozens of programs somewhat randomly....
any suggestions?
Sorry for the bother and thanks for the help,

GP. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know of any objective rankings, but if you want subjective personal experiences, check out www.scutwork.com . Remember, take some of the really bad reviews with a grain of salt. You will sometimes find people with an axe to grind and they enjoy doing this type of thing in a public forum. Most of these are pretty easy to spot, though. Good luck!

greenpink said:
Hello:
I'm at the point where I'm just starting to look at family medicine programs. I would like to stay in the northest (NY, NJ, PA, CT, etc). My question is....are there any sources where one can find about ranking of FM programs, or any information on which ones seem to be better than others? In looking at the AAFP website list of residencies, I felt overwhelmed at the prospect of applying to dozens of programs somewhat randomly....
any suggestions?

I'm also just starting but have an even narrower geographical range. I just went to each program's website and spent the time reading everything, and especially looking at the curriculum, to get a feel for the program.

I think it will be hard to tell the "good" programs on paper--I think you will have to see them to know, and talk to the residents, of course.

I made a list of all the things that were important to me (lots of OB with OB faculty, good peds experience, night float, unopposed, busy hospital, good location, etc.) and ranked the programs according to how much they had that I wanted.

Once I had my top 3, I scheduled rotations there if I hadn't already rotated there as a 3rd year.

I'm still going to apply to around 15 programs, but I willl likely go on about half that number of interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
sophiejane said:
I'm also just starting but have an even narrower geographical range. I just went to each program's website and spent the time reading everything, and especially looking at the curriculum, to get a feel for the program.

I think it will be hard to tell the "good" programs on paper--I think you will have to see them to know, and talk to the residents, of course.

I made a list of all the things that were important to me (lots of OB with OB faculty, good peds experience, night float, unopposed, busy hospital, good location, etc.) and ranked the programs according to how much they had that I wanted.

Once I had my top 3, I scheduled rotations there if I hadn't already rotated there as a 3rd year.

I'm still going to apply to around 15 programs, but I willl likely go on about half that number of interviews.

Funny, my list has all of the same things on it! I am looking at programs in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and possibly West Virginia. An additional criteria that I am looking for is AOA approval of the 1st year. International rotations, rural emphasis, and underserved clinics are also a plus. Anyone know of any programs near the area mentioned that fit the bill? So far, I'm looking at: (bolded ones are AOA approved intern years)

Munson Medical Center - Traverse City, MI
Marquette General Hospital - Marquette, MI

Barberton Family Practice - Barberton, OH
Ft. Wayne FP Residency - Ft. Wayne, IN
Ball Memorial Hospital - Muncie, IN
Union Hospital - Terre Haute, IN
St. Joseph - South Bend, IN
Memorial Hospital - South Bend, IN

I am right there with you, GP. I'm hoping someone will have had some experience applying in NY/NJ/CT, and can give us some kind of an idea as to which are the better programs!

I've heard good things about
Beth Isreal
Columbia-Pres
and Montefiore
from a friend who's starting at BI this July.

But I'm curious about NJ.

-ldm

Doc Oc said:
Funny, my list has all of the same things on it! I am looking at programs in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and possibly West Virginia. An additional criteria that I am looking for is AOA approval of the 1st year. International rotations, rural emphasis, and underserved clinics are also a plus. Anyone know of any programs near the area mentioned that fit the bill? So far, I'm looking at: (bolded ones are AOA approved intern years)

I'm looking in south-central texas, so I can't offer any insight to your list, but I'm curious about how you find out if AOA approves the intern year? Is there a list somewhere or do you ask programs individually?

I've heard it's not too difficult to get AOA approval, just have to jump the requisite hoops and have a good reason why you didn't go AOA. Mine is location, as I think it is for many people.

sophiejane said:
I'm looking in south-central texas, so I can't offer any insight to your list, but I'm curious about how you find out if AOA approves the intern year? Is there a list somewhere or do you ask programs individually?

I've heard it's not too difficult to get AOA approval, just have to jump the requisite hoops and have a good reason why you didn't go AOA. Mine is location, as I think it is for many people.

The programs that I mentioned have this listed on their website. For some, the first year is an AOA internship tracked to the residency. Two of them jsut say on their website that "the first year has AOA accreditation".

NDMD said:
I highly recommend attending the AAFP Family Medicine Residents and Students Conference in Kansas City. It's worth the time and money to attend. You'll be able to visit with almost every program in the country and "pre-interview" them.

http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/cme/aafpcourses/conferences/conference.html

I apologize for this lame question...but...would it be bad for me to bring my adorable 9 month old son to the conference and carry him around with my Baby Bjorn front-pack while talking to programs (or in his stroller if he's sleeping)? Is it that informal, or is it closer to an interview atmosphere?

I would love to go to this conference, but there's no chance I can get someone to take my son for a few days :(

I'm also looking in NY,NJ,PA,CT area, mostly to be close to family/boyfriend.

Like Lucydm mentioned, I've heard good things about Montfiore, Beth Israel, and Columbia. I've also been told to take a look at NYMed/St.Joe's and SUNY stonybrook. Aside from that, just from my website-browsing I was thinking of also checking out Mt.Sanai/Jamaica and maybe Bronx-Lebanon. In the Philly area I have heard good things about Jefferson's program, and was also going to take a look at Penn. I don't know much at CT or NJ programs yet.

Not sure how much that helps, I'm struggling to get information before the actual interview process myself.

greenpink said:
Hello:
any suggestions?

Doc Oc said:
I apologize for this lame question...but...would it be bad for me to bring my adorable 9 month old son to the conference and carry him around with my Baby Bjorn front-pack while talking to programs (or in his stroller if he's sleeping)? Is it that informal, or is it closer to an interview atmosphere?

I would love to go to this conference, but there's no chance I can get someone to take my son for a few days :(
I don't remember seeing any babies there when I went, but I can't imagine why you couldn't. Besides, it's a great way to separate out the programs that are family-friendly from those who aren't. :)

tridoc13 said:
I don't remember seeing any babies there when I went, but I can't imagine why you couldn't. Besides, it's a great way to separate out the programs that are family-friendly from those who aren't. :)

i went in 2004. i did see quite a few moms with a baby or a couple of kids with spouses in the main auditorium floor. of course, if you signed up for the proceedure classes, only you can attend. overall atmosphere is VERY laid back. lots of booths with programs. when you're there, have a game plan ready from the start to which programs you want to inquire about. because chances are, you wont be able to talk with everyone. this way you can "weed out" programs you know by first impressions (still very important) you dont see yourself training in. certainly not all programs are created equally. be ready to get bombarded with pamphlets and brochures among other misc. things with programs logo. im currently at a residency program where i did talk with someone there. im sure there was some influence to me attending the conference (after reviewing 200+ applicants, they all look the same, right??). i recommend going as early as possible during the week when spirits are higher. i remember the past couple of days of the conference, programs started to pack up early. have fun, i strongly recommend it! (you can also PM me, if you have any other questions)

Doc Oc said:

Go for it. The atmosphere is very laid back. We're taking our 2 month old with us. We attended last year (without a child) and saw a few babies. In fact, a few of the residents had their children with them in their booth. If nothing else, the child will be a nice ice breaker and a great way for a program to remember you.

Doc Oc said:

http://fp21.a2zinc.net/clients/fpnc/national06/public/fphtml.aspx

Most of those programs will be at the Conference.