FM Residency Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passwall

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all--
I'm a 3rd year student finally ready to start looking into some residency programs in FM. Unfortunately I don't know much about programs that are available, and my friend interested in FM only mentioned 2-3 programs (one here in KY and two in SC) they heard were good. I know there has to be more than that. Does anyone have any suggestions as to places I should investigate?
Thanks!
--J.:cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Fortunately, there are many FM residency programs out there, each with its own flavor...unfortunately, the volume can be overwhelming at times too. Just as FM is an incredibly varied specialty, there is an amazing variety among the training programs as well (even though they all have to fulfill the same core requirements).

You're unlikely to get much constructive help on a message board with a request as general as "what good programs are out there". It will be much more productive to narrow down your request a bit, according to your interests...whether that is geography, setting (urban vs rural vs suburban, academic med center vs community hospital), types of training, special tracks/emphases, opposed vs unopposed, etc.

I would suggest the following:
1. Run a search on FREIDA: http://www.ama-assn.org/vapp/freida/srch/
2. Check out the AAFP directory: http://www.aafp.org/residencies/ (some info on some programs is a bit outdated, but it will give you a good idea)
3. Read the websites of the FM programs that sound interesting to you...a bit painful and time-consuming, but inevitable.
4. Seek out a faculty advisor in FM at your med school and ask him/her for advice about strong programs in your area
5. Ask the 4th years at your med school who just matched in FM last month...they are all fresh off the interview trail, and would likely be happy to share their thoughts on the programs they visited.
6. Run a search on SDN for similar threads on this topic...there are several every year
7. Post back on SDN if you don't find an old thread that answers your specific question(s).

Good luck as you start out on the process of residency selection. It can seem daunting at times, but I also thought it was a lot of fun...I met a lot of cool people along the way! I hope you will ultimately enjoy the process too. :luck: