FM to IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I had posted a thread long time back thinking about transferring from FM to IM in first year, I didn't get a good response from my current site and with some personal issues, I couldn't move from my city.

So i'll be going to 3rd year of FM residency, my plan is to complete FM residency. Would it be possible to go into IM after completing FM? Do I get any years off or do I have to start from intern year? My residency program doesn't have IM. I would really like to do fellowship and nephrology is my favorite so far.

In my FM residency, I have really focused on IM training with all electives in IM. I have good board scores and great scores yearly residency exam.

Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd realize that you be asking to do five more years of training to make less money than you can at the end of your FM residency.

There is a reason that a large chunk of nephrology fellowship positions re unfilled and we have a couple nephrologists in my hospitalist group.

Reactions: 1 user
Its not about the money. Would I have to repeat 2 years of IM or does it depend on program to program where they let you just do 6 months or 1 year of IM?

The most credit you can get for prior training is 6 months, and that is at the discretion of the PD...so you can get 6 mos, or nothing...assuming you get a spot in the first place.

Obviously, you need to do what's best for you, but I think you're underestimating the opportunity costs of an additional 5 years of training. Just considering the money you'll lose out on during the additional training, you're potentially looking at $500-750K easily. And the idea of 8 full years of training to work as a nephrologist is kind of insane to me.

Reactions: 2 users
I think if you're really sure there's benefit to switching, and it's reasonable to think you'll match nephro, and that you'll want to when all is said and done...

What would be lame is to finish FM and then do IM and then no fellowship. Because you can easily craft an FM career to be very similar to gen IM.

I know someone who did an IM residency, and then went back for EM, and it was hands down the right decision for them.

Given what docs make and how you can pay on your loans indefinitely, I wouldn't let time in training or money keep you from this if you can manage it from the point of view of your personal life, ie finances and family and time, and feel it's worth it.

It did make marriage and starting a family delayed for that person, partly because when you plan on starting a new residency you don't have much control over where you set down roots.

I don't know how likely it is for you to get another residency or what your app looks like. But just seconding that some people choose to do another residency, manage it, and are happier for it. YMMV.