FM to IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Muhammad Usman

Reaction score
I am 2nd year FM resident,
Any idea where can I find programs if they have spot if I want to switch from FM to IM,?
Even if I have to repeat one year and start from 2nd year again I will be ok with that as I heard ACGME accreditation for only one year of you switch from FM to IM,
Any suggestions??

Members don't see this ad.

I am 2nd year FM resident,
Any idea where can I find programs if they have spot if I want to switch from FM to IM,?
Even if I have to repeat one year and start from 2nd year again I will be ok with that as I heard ACGME accreditation for only one year of you switch from FM to IM,
Any suggestions??
You misunderstood. If you complete another residency, an IM PD may offer you up to 1 year of credit for your prior training, but is not required to. So if you really want to switch to IM, your best bet is to go into the Match again and try to get some credit/advancement once you start and prove yourself to the PD.

But honestly, you've got less than 18 months to go. Finish FM, get out there and make a career for yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
You misunderstood. If you complete another residency, an IM PD may offer you up to 1 year of credit for your prior training, but is not required to. So if you really want to switch to IM, your best bet is to go into the Match again and try to get some credit/advancement once you start and prove yourself to the PD.

But honestly, you've got less than 18 months to go. Finish FM, get out there and make a career for yourself.
Thank you for reply, in some countries FM is not that much recognized as IM specially in Middle East, that’s why I wanted to switch

There's no centralized list of these kinds of openings. You sort of just have to reach out to programs in your area of interest, see if they have an opening, and ask if they would consider you.

I suppose there is little harm in asking, but definitely don't make waves. You do not want to burn your relationship with your current program.