FM vs path chances in top west coast programs for MD/PhD with low step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ganglia777

Reaction score
I am an MD/PhD with a low step 1 score. I don't care if I do FM or path, as long as I can get into a top program in a desirable location (UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, etc). I have very good research experience with 20+ publications, possibly 25 by the time I apply.

Will FM or path (CP) be easier to match into?

Members don't see this ad.

From my (somewhat limited) experience, there is little to no value to having earned your PhD if you plan to practice in family medicine. Pathology, on the other hand, is a field where your research training will be extremely helpful considering that many pathologists are exclusively academic physicians, and even practicing hospital pathologists are lab-centered with no patient interaction whatsoever.

FM and Path couldn't be more different. I suggest you stop now, think about what you want to do with your life, and revisit. Just being at a "top program" will not make you happy. Even if you have a research focus, those will be very different in these two fields.

That said, to answer your question, if you have a strong research background and want an academic career (and are a promising candidate), event the very top academic programs will overlook a poor Step 1 score (provided it is not below their threshold for consideration, and this is usually quite low).

Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users