MD/PhD programs diversifying research interests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hubz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently at an MD/PhD interview with another student who shares very similar research interests. It made me wonder whether schools consciously try to diversify the interests of each of their incoming classes and avoid admitting people with similar interests. This question is just pure curiosity; Although I obviously want to get into the school, I am well aware that there is not much I can do if it is the case that they will only take one student with our shared interest.

It seems difficult because it is very likely that interests change from what is stated during applications, but at the same time, having a very homogenous class may lead to student competition for rotation/lab spots in the future. Additionally, having a more diverse set of backgrounds seems naturally more intellectually stimulating. For more common fields like cancer biology, I assume that programs are OK with multiple students, but for more niche interests, like neural prosthetics/neural engineering or motor neuroscience, is this the same? I would love it if anyone involved with admissions could comment on whether "class research interests" is an aspect that schools actively try to shape.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure whether this answers your question, but I definitely wouldn't describe the fields you mentioned as niche. Most PDs I talked to said that they look at applicants individually, which comprises of more than just your research interests. That being said, someone with more experience should comment on this as I can only speculate.

I don't doubt that it is a consideration, but then you are making the assumption that every person a program admits with the same research background will attend. You might also be interviewing at a school with a strong research core in one field that wants a larger group of students that can take advantage of the school's strengths, or a school that wants more students interested in joining an up-and-coming / niche department so the faculty there can build up their research labs

In either case, I doubt two people walking the same road will be cause for a last-man-standing type decision, especially if the program you interviewed at is large