FM/walk in clinic Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedman12345

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any family doctors out there who work/own walk in clinics? I would like to know the lifestyle/income and overall well being of these docs. In the USA, I've found that so many doctors have too much paperwork and don't seem too happy

Members don't see this ad.

You do 100x more paperwork and EMR stuff in USA vs Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, that's quite a leap. There is way more that goes into "lifestyle" than how much paperwork you do.
There's 0 doubt that working in canada is better as a physician.

That's a very broad and overarching statement. Canada is definitely less litigious than the US which is good. Along with that there is less burdensome documentation because people are less worried about defending themselves from getting sued. Other than litigation though, what other benefits do you see in practicing medicine in Canada vs the US? US pays a decent amount more in most specialties and thus you can work less hours and earn the same pay as you would in Canada, so in that respect US is actually better from the perspective of work life balance.
USA pays more in procedural specialties but not otherwise. Generalists make more in Canada. You also enjoy more autonomy and independence + the benefit of being self employed.
There's also a reason Canadian docs can see more patients in a day. The system allows more efficiency.

That's a very broad and overarching statement. Canada is definitely less litigious than the US which is good. Along with that there is less burdensome documentation because people are less worried about defending themselves from getting sued. Other than litigation though, what other benefits do you see in practicing medicine in Canada vs the US? US pays a decent amount more in most specialties and thus you can work less hours and earn the same pay as you would in Canada, so in that respect US is actually better from the perspective of work life balance.

Speciality physicians do get paid more in the US - but there is a tradeoff in lifestyle. I have yet to meet a physician that isn't working 60+ hour weeks - which I believe if you were doing in Canada, you would be paid similarly (except for that currency conversion - US doctors make more in that case). Doctors in the US also make noticeably less in big cities.

One benifit to working in Canada is you don't have to sell yourself and advertise like a business. Consider dentists, who have varying success depending on how well they advertise.