FMG -Cardiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentIII

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am a 3rd Year Internal Medicine Resident in Washington DC area and looking for Cardiology Fellowship.

Last year i applied for 55 Programs, i did not get a single interview.
One thing i realized i applied for all the University programs that could be
the reason.

Could you please recommend any of the FMG Friendly programs.

Visa Status : Green-Card
Step 1: 96
Step2 : 87
Step3: 85
I do have research experience in cardiology for 2 years and published
2 papers.
Boards : Not yet.

I am willing to relocate any where in US.

Thanks,
ResidentIII

Members don't see this ad.

in which program you are training in ( name of program)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

From my understanding, it would probably help your chances a great deal if you had taken and passed your IM boards. Also, I hear that it is a lot of help if you did a chief resident year. I don't know if it is too late for you to do that, but if not it may help.

Your best chance is probably doing a cardiology fellowship at your own hospital if they offer it.

Thank you for all the replies.

I just subscribed to the Yahoo group. Thanks DrIM.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Cardiology_Fellowship/

In the mean time i got the following info from other websites.

Getting into a cardiology fellowship is getting more and more difficult and competitive because the number of poistions have been dramatically reduced. The selection committe wants people who can do research, especially in basic science, and those who wants to stay in Academic Cardiology. You need to show that you are extremely good clinically, and that you can do research (i.e. you need publications; especially molecular biology).

UCLA has a STAR program, which only accepts people with intent to do research combined with clinical practice. If you don't have a PhD, you must enter a graduate program.

just get yourself into a well-regarded internal medicine residency. In your residency, work your butt off, get to know some of the cardiologists at your institution so that when you need letters of recommendation, you will have some from cardiology staff.