FMG-->IM (endo)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

appleluver7

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the chances that an FMG from Carib is able to obtain an IM residency in the United States? If an IM is attainable, what are the chances an applicant could then get a more non-competitive fellowship like Endocrinology or Rheumatology?

Members don't see this ad.

You might get more responses in the International forum on SDN as more people are familiar there with your situation. There are people getting competitive residencies from the Caribb but it's harder. I think you'll be ok with IM/Endo though.

You might get more responses in the International forum on SDN as more people are familiar there with your situation. There are people getting competitive residencies from the Caribb but it's harder. I think you'll be ok with IM/Endo though.

appleluver7 said:
What are the chances that an FMG from Carib is able to obtain an IM residency in the United States? If an IM is attainable, what are the chances an applicant could then get a more non-competitive fellowship like Endocrinology or Rheumatology?

The past few years there have been more IM slots than people wanting them. About half my wife's IM residency class were FMGs. Almost all that wanted fellowships got them (Renal, GI, Endo, etc.).

The "Intern of the Year" award this year for this particular IM program went to an FMG, FWIW. He's wanting GI and I don't see anything standing in his way. He's a great physician -- really nice guy, too.

If you could clarify a bit...

while we could argue its just semantics, to many the term "FMG" means a non-US national who trained outside of the US, while "IMG" refers to a US citizen who trained outside of the US.

In either case, IM is typically not competitive at *most* programs and if you are a non-US citizen, most of your colleages will have also trained outside of the US and whether its Caribbean or another non-LCME program, it isn't a significant difference when it comes to evaluating your application.

Finally, if you have done well in your IM residency, then there is no reason why you should have trouble getting into a fellowship; the farther you get away from your medical school in years, the less it will matter (at most places).