FMGs in ortho

Started by fremitus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fremitus

BRAIN DOC AND SHRINK
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a third year med student here in the Philippines. I heard that ortho is very competitive there. I would just like to know what my chances are of getting into an ortho program there.

Does anybody know of any foreign graduates from the Philippines who were trained there in the US or are currently training?

Well I'm just an average student,and I don't have any honors just decent grades with no failures. Do I even have a shot?

I wanted to ask these questions because by the way I see things, even US graduates don't get into ortho programs easily, what more for a foreigner from a foreign medical school in the 3rd world.

Anyway, I just want to see what you guys think about this matter. Thanks!
 
Sorry to be so blunt, but I don't think you have a shot coming straight out of school. Even if you had superstar numbers, ortho usually doesn't take FMG's straight out of school. You best bet is to research programs and find out which ones have some FMGs and then go there and do research for their ortho dept. After a couple years, the programs occassionally offer spots. If yoy don't get a spot from that program, you may at least get some letters from the PD and other big name guys in their program. Good luck.