FMGs in PM&R?

Started by Mark Koch
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mark Koch

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any success stories? do IMG/FMGs have a good chance at matching? is step scores in the range of 240s enough?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I think 240s are plenty. Apply broadly and show in your application that you have exposure to the field along with letters from PM&R doctors. Top tier programs may not give you offers simply because you didn't do your medical education in the United States. I think you will match somewhere as long as you're flexible.
 
I’d audition at places with a history of taking IMG/FMGs. I believe my advice thread in the stickies listed some of the programs. You are at a significant disadvantage...and you will need to do the right things to alleviate the perceived red flags carried by IMG/FMG. Rock the boards and doing VERY well (especially in the interpersonal department) on auditions are good starts.
 
Last edited:
I’d audition at places with a history of taking IMG/FMGs. I believe my advice thread in the stickies listed some of the programs. You are at a significant disadvantage...and you will need to do the right things to alleviate the perceived red flags carried by IMG/FMG. Rock the boards and doing VERY well (especially in the interpersonal department) are good starts.

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, majority of them now require VSAS. A lot of IMGs don't have that luxury.