FMGs in PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mark Koch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any success stories? do IMG/FMGs have a good chance at matching? is step scores in the range of 240s enough?

Members don't see this ad.

what do you think is reasonable score for FMGs to have good chance 240s are enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I think 240s are plenty. Apply broadly and show in your application that you have exposure to the field along with letters from PM&R doctors. Top tier programs may not give you offers simply because you didn't do your medical education in the United States. I think you will match somewhere as long as you're flexible.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d audition at places with a history of taking IMG/FMGs. I believe my advice thread in the stickies listed some of the programs. You are at a significant disadvantage...and you will need to do the right things to alleviate the perceived red flags carried by IMG/FMG. Rock the boards and doing VERY well (especially in the interpersonal department) on auditions are good starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’d audition at places with a history of taking IMG/FMGs. I believe my advice thread in the stickies listed some of the programs. You are at a significant disadvantage...and you will need to do the right things to alleviate the perceived red flags carried by IMG/FMG. Rock the boards and doing VERY well (especially in the interpersonal department) are good starts.

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, majority of them now require VSAS. A lot of IMGs don't have that luxury.