FMGs, *the* match, and the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newquagmire

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I was startled to learn that a friend of mine is strongly considering going to St George's on a scholarship. This person is somebody I consider to be highly intelligent (I mean, s/he received a full-ride through undergrad), and s/he was accepted to US MD schools.

I'm wondering how (if at all) going to St George's will affect this person's future plans. I've skimmed through some of the past discussions on this subject, but would be interested to see if y'all might be willing to apply the theories to this case in particular...

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Search to learn more but the general consensus seems to be that you can get into most fields, but it will be a lot harder than going to a US school and you may not have your pick of residency programs.

C

Your friend should seriously consider going to a US allo school. While you can go into just about any field as an FMG it will probably be much harder to get first choice of residencies especially in competitive fields. While the scholarship support may sound tempting, it is bad reason to choose a school unless the applicant has really bad credit and can't get a student loan (never really met anyone in this situation.) If your friend got into a state school, he/she (?) this is almost like the ultimate scholarship :D . Also, your friend may ask some of the schools he/she was accepted to match their scholarship offer. They may counter with a match, less of a tuition break or none at all but it won't hurt to ask...My advice, go to a US school, if your friend hates it I am sure that St. George would take them as a transfer student.

i'm trying not to give too much personal information so that this person is not identifiable. thus, the s/he's.

the scholarship is from st george's, not the US allo schools.

Newquagmire said:
i'm trying not to give too much personal information so that this person is not identifiable. thus, the s/he's.

the scholarship is from st george's, not the US allo schools.

Speaking as an IMG, I would urge your friend to STRONGLY reconsider his decision. Not because SGU is a bad school or because I had a difficult time securing a residency position, but because choosing a school based only on cost (which is what is sounds like s/he is doing) is a bad idea. If SGU has something special besides cost to offer to this person, it *might* be worth considering, but my guess is it isn't.

Just wondering...SGU or any of the Carib schools are generally someone's first choice...why did your friend apply there in the first place (or did s/he not get into a US school? Do you really know the whole story?).

Go to the US school. A US med graduate with a 230-240 board score is still in the running for every ultra-competitive specialty (Derm, Plastics, ENT, Urology, Ortho, Rad Onc, etc), will have a great chance at a top tier program in moderately competitive specialties (Anesthesiology, Emerg, General Surgery, etc), and their program of choice in any less competitive specialties (Psych, Path, Family Medicine, etc).

A foreign med graduate with a 230-240 board score has virtually zero chance at an ultra-competitive specialty, a very limited choice of programs at moderately competitive specialties (either community programs, or lower tier university programs), and will be second in line after US graduates even for the less competitive specialties.

By going to a foreign school, you are already limiting your residency and career options. Highly qualified people tend to gravitate to competitive specialties, and that's as good a reason as any to head for a US school if you've been accepted to one; going to a US school preserves all your residency options, while being an IMG does not. Tell your friend to stick with the US school; that career flexibility is more than worth it financially.

Absolutely, i agree with Flankstripe. I am an IMG, not an american though, so obviously i went to med school in my country. However good a foreign med school or IMG may be, it restricts the residency options. I have the same personal experience.
Life becomes really tough for someone from a foreign med school trying for residency in the US, and if aiming for an ultracompetitive field then you will end up questioning your judgement.

thanks for the responses, y'all. i'll try to point out these opinions to my friend.