FNP to MD/DO. Personal Statement help - "Why medicine?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGrand

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[CLOSED]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
" I love medicine. I love the art, the science, the patient interaction, clinical decision making, etc. I truly do."
I think you answered your own question. This is what you want your PS to reflect. Not a list a reasons why not nursing. But compelling reasons why medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also an NP (5 years RN / 8 years NP) who is applying this cycle. You need to be really sure that your reasons 1-4 and 7 are not reflected in your personal statement. The advice I have received is to be VERY cautious about speaking / writing negatively about nursing or the NP profession, whatever your misgivings are (and I have my own as well). You don't want to look like you are running away from nursing--you want this to seem like a natural progression of your interest in becoming the most excellent, well-educated, well-rounded provider you can be for your patients. Pay homage to your nursing background, what you learned from it, how it positions you to become an excellent physician. Don't trash the profession and definitely don't come across with a chip on your shoulder--I actually kind of cringed reading your list. That's not what you want ad-coms to feel when they read your PS. Just my 2c from a fellow NP.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am also an NP (5 years RN / 8 years NP) who is applying this cycle. You need to be really sure that your reasons 1-4 and 7 are not reflected in your personal statement. The advice I have received is to be VERY cautious about speaking / writing negatively about nursing or the NP profession, whatever your misgivings are (and I have my own as well). You don't want to look like you are running away from nursing--you want this to seem like a natural progression of your interest in becoming the most excellent, well-educated, well-rounded provider you can be for your patients. Pay homage to your nursing background, what you learned from it, how it positions you to become an excellent physician. Don't trash the profession and definitely don't come across with a chip on your shoulder--I actually kind of cringed reading your list. That's not what you want ad-coms to feel when they read your PS. Just my 2c from a fellow NP.
I second this.

I’m a current OMS-1 and former PA with experience in military and civilian practice. I think every mid-level shares your frustrations with the limitations of the job and perceptions of others.

I made sure my PS did NOT emphasize my frustrations with being a PA. I did emphasize my desire to continue my journey in medicine and fulfill my potential as a medical professional.

I think the trick is not to spout cliches and make sure you make it truly personal so the reader gets a sense of who you are.

My suggestion is to take time and give it your best shot writing the PS. When you think it’s perfect, then let others read it (preferably physicians you trust) so they can give you suggestions. That’s what I did and was very happy with the result.

One last suggestion is to be careful declaring how accomplished you are. Nobody wants to teach someone who thinks they know it all. Be confident but not arrogant. That’s another reason to have someone double check you. It’s a fine line that you do not want to cross.

Good luck!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Thanks for taking the time. I'm sorry that came off cringey. I know that I really shouldn't put my misgivings or chip-in-the-shoulder thoughts, hence my wanting some help. How did you (in general) frame on why you left nursing and being a nurse practitioner?

Reactions: 1 user
I second this.

I’m a current OMS-1 and former PA with experience in military and civilian practice. I think every mid-level shares your frustrations with the limitations of the job and perceptions of others.

I made sure my PS did NOT emphasize my frustrations with being a PA. I did emphasize my desire to continue my journey in medicine and fulfill my potential as a medical professional.

I think the trick is not to spout cliches and make sure you make it truly personal so the reader gets a sense of who you are.

My suggestion is to take time and give it your best shot writing the PS. When you think it’s perfect, then let others read it (preferably physicians you trust) so they can give you suggestions. That’s what I did and was very happy with the result.

One last suggestion is to be careful declaring how accomplished you are. Nobody wants to teach someone who thinks they know it all. Be confident but not arrogant. That’s another reason to have someone double check you. It’s a fine line that you do not want to cross.

Good luck!!

Thanks! That's definitely the plan. Rereading my post now and I'm regretting what i wrote a little. However, how did you frame your personal statement when you're explaining why you're leaving the PA profession?

Thanks! That's definitely the plan. Rereading my post now and I'm regretting what i wrote a little. However, how did you frame your personal statement when you're explaining why you're leaving the PA profession?
So I had to look at it again to remember what I said, lol.

I spoke about my desire to leave the PA profession mainly due to the deficiency in education and training. I never felt like I could be the healthcare professional I wanted to be as a PA. No amount of self study would allow me to close the knowledge gap. I was also ready to be the leader of a medical team and not just a valuable member of a team.

I also mentioned how years ago I let a physician mentor talk me out of medical school. This is a path I always wanted to pursue but didn’t believe in myself enough to take the leap. Later in life my confidence grew and I felt ready to take on the challenge.

Reactions: 3 users
So I had to look at it again to remember what I said, lol.

I spoke about my desire to leave the PA profession mainly due to the deficiency in education and training. I never felt like I could be the healthcare professional I wanted to be as a PA. No amount of self study would allow me to close the knowledge gap. I was also ready to be the leader of a medical team and not just a valuable member of a team.

I also mentioned how years ago I let a physician mentor talk me out of medical school. This is a path I always wanted to pursue but didn’t believe in myself enough to take the leap. Later in life my confidence grew and I felt ready to take on the challenge.

Wow, thank you for even taking the effort in looking at your PS again! And that’s really helpful! I appreciate that.

Thanks for taking the time. I'm sorry that came off cringey. I know that I really shouldn't put my misgivings or chip-in-the-shoulder thoughts, hence my wanting some help. How did you (in general) frame on why you left nursing and being a nurse practitioner?

I wrote about a few themes:
--nursing taught me how to care for patients at the bedside and I'm grateful for that, since patient care is what motivates me to continue my education / training
--understanding the medicine behind my patients' conditions is something that was not emphasized in NP school, but has become the most interesting and important part of what I do now, and (as @orthoPA81 said), no amount of self-study can close the knowledge / training gap
--my ultimate goal in becoming a physician is to improve my ability to care for patients and help them achieve their health goals / outcomes, and the rigorous education/ training in medicine is the best (and only) way for me to do this

Essentially--you have to make the case that even though you have every reason NOT to pursue medicine--you've looked at all of those reasons and found a way to still justify the tremendous opportunity costs. And, make no mistake, those costs are HUGE. But if you feel like you cannot die happy without giving this your best shot, then you have to do it.

I'll also make the point that most schools will push interprofessionalism in some form, and having a prior background as a nurse or PA adds a valuable perspective in the capabilities those roles give to improve patient care.

Reactions: 2 users