Medical focus on mcat or do a post-bacc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.1 science gpa and a 3.4 cumulative gpa. I did a post-bacc last year and didn't do well and didn't finish. As a result, my post-bacc gpa is 2.45. I am conflicted. Should I apply for another post-bacc or should I focus on my MCAT instead, and if I get a really good score, I'll try applying to medical school next year. I am a non-trad and a first-generation college grad and first-generation immigrant. I am the only one here in the U.S and so I can't really afford to be not working. Part of me really wanted to work full-time this year while studying for the MCAT and if I don't get into medical school next cycle, then I'll consider another post-bacc but that means I will have to wait longer. I would appreciate any advise from you all.
Why do you think that you can do better in another post-bac? To me, that's the sign that you gave it your best shot, and now it's time for Plan B.

IF you're fixed on med school, for starters, you're nowhere near ready. With your GPAs, I have doubts that you will do well on MCAT. So do the post-bac first, and ace it (3.7+ GPA). Then take the MCAT, and then apply once you have your score. So, we're looking at a two, maybe even a three year cycle.

Read this:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also going to join in and say pursue plan B. There's no shame about that but as a nontraditional student, you don't have the time or money to do a second postbac then medical school. All that debt adds up for graduate school and you risk not being able to cover medical school tuition and expenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.