Follow up calls?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any idea of follow up calls are useful to programs you havent heard anything from yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about follow-up phone calls but I sent an email yesterday night directly to the program director at a school that I was really interested in but had not heard anything from yet. It was really short, I basically said that I was very interested in their program and hoped that they would continue to consider my application for any open interview spots. This morning I got an email thanking me for my enthusiasm about their program and stating that they would be sending me an official interview invitation in the next 24 hours.

So go ahead and try, although I would recommend email over phone...its quick and easy for you to do and this time of the year the PDs are pretty busy and can be hard to get in contact with over the phone. Good luck
-Limabean

So far I've been 3 for 4 on the follow-up pickups. OH _ FROM DOWNTOWN!! (a-la Marv Albert). Give 'em a call and tell them you will be in the area and haven't heard back from them - They'll probably hook you up (or at least bump your application to be the next reviewed). They may also tell you you have been rejected if you haven't heard - Thanks Orlando...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by NinerNiner999
So far I've been 3 for 4 on the follow-up pickups. OH _ FROM DOWNTOWN!! (a-la Marv Albert). Give 'em a call and tell them you will be in the area and haven't heard back from them - They'll probably hook you up (or at least bump your application to be the next reviewed). They may also tell you you have been rejected if you haven't heard - Thanks Orlando...

Same here. Picked up a few this way. Didn't tell 'em I'd be in town, but just said I was interested, and wanted to know if I would be considered for interview. You may also find out they're just dragging their feet with sending them. This happened to me, and by calling, I got first crack at the open dates. Go for it. :cool:

I emailed Maine the other day, and they replied within 24 hrs telling me that my app looks great, but all their interview slots are full. So, don't wait for maine any more. I did get an interview at Buffalo that way, though. I think it's worth it.

Tabasco

I heard the same from Maine...

Along the same lines:
Penn has 50 people "on hold" who will get interview slots that open.

Michigan is full for now, but have some held for opening slots.

Maryland will be "Wrapping up soon" which means people should hear one way or another in the next week or so.

Some schools haven't even reviewed my app yet! :eek:

Shot off an email to UNC to tell them I'd be in the area soon and would like to know if I'll get an interview, got one the next day.

Casey Glass

i got so tired of calling, i'm switching to email.

What's to lose in calling?
Three places I contacted offered invites.
A few others said being reviewed.
Even if you found out about a reject that seems better to me than being left just wondering.
IMHO there is no downside to showing your continued interest in their program.

totally agree with dr. cowboy (who i guess is a classmate of mine). Ive called plenty and had good results. And on interview days it has actually been sort of nice because you already have spoken with the coordinator lady quite a bit so you are at least comfortable with her. I guess I do feel like Ive talked my way in the door a couple places, but then if you want something...

IT'S ALIVE-bump