Following up about research with a prof

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JoshuaGuit

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

Was just hoping to get some pointers about etiquette on emailing a professor.

I found out from a friend that the professor she worked with was looking for 1 or 2 undergrads to help out in his lab. I emailed the professor basically introducing myself, included my resume, and asked if there was any way we could meet to discuss the lab.

He replied back on Sept 8th to myself and 5 others who apparently emailed him as well that he was looking for 1 or 2 people and wanted us to reply with our future goals.

I replied with a brief paragraph responding to it (After graduating from -- I plan on attending medical school. Due
to a personal history with Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, I am
very driven to become a gastroenterologist. My ideal position would be
interacting with and treating children with GI diseases as well as
conducting my own research on cures for Crohn's and UC via various
inflammatory biomarker pathogeneses. I feel that gaining experience in
the laboratory would greatly help me achieve my goals.).

Apparently he printed out everyone's answers and discussed them at his lab meeting which was last Thursday (9/15) and at that point there were 9 or so applicants total. I thought he just wanted a brief description of our future goals, but apparently a few other people wrote a page+. My friend already in his lab did recommend me to him though.

I have not heard back from him at all and do not believe he has chosen who he wants.

Is there any point in sending a new email to him confirming that I am indeed still interested in his lab? I'm not sure how to go about phrasing it or if it would even give me any type of advantage over the other applicants. If it makes any difference, this would be like the 4th professor who shot me down so far this year if I do not get the research.

Thanks for any ideas guys
 
Professors want someone who is interested in doing research, not just someone looking to get more extracurriculars on the med school app. I would not write the professor back UNLESS you are absolutely positive that he has not chosen his candidates. Even then I myself would not do it. Professors do get annoyed by people constantly nagging them.

In your next attempt to get into a research lab I suggest you tell them that you have an interest in med school but, that you are also interested in the research at hand. Think of it this way. You are the professor doing research on DNA and you have 5 students (all qualified, all A students) send you resumes/applications. Two positions. Three of those students make it obvious they are interested in the research (DNA) at hand, and want to go to med school. Two just tell you they want to go to med school, why they want to go to med school, and what kind of doctor they want to become. It is obvious the two that emailed you about what kind of doctor they want to become are only interested in doing some type of research, and they don't care what kind it is. You would obviously pick out of the 3 students who say they are interested in what you are researching.

Remember most of the professors are not MD's, and their careers are research.

It is good your friend vouched for you, however, I personally believe you added too much about becoming a doctor and not enough about the actual research. Another point, try to get to know the professor personally (take his course, if possible, go to office hours). This way he knows who he's going to be working with, and that you won't flank out on him one night if you want to go get wasted with your mates. Remember, he's the one investing time in YOU.

I hope I didn't come off as a dick. Good luck on getting into a lab, and I hope your situation does work out for you!

/end wall of text
 
Last edited:
Professors want someone who is interested in doing research, not just someone looking to get more extracurriculars on the med school app. I would not write the professor back UNLESS you are absolutely positive that he has not chosen his candidates. Even then I myself would not do it. Professors do get annoyed by people constantly nagging them.

In your next attempt to get into a research lab I suggest you tell them that you have an interest in med school but, that you are also interested in the research at hand. Think of it this way. You are the professor doing research on DNA and you have 5 students (all qualified, all A students) send you resumes/applications. Two positions. Three of those students make it obvious they are interested in the research (DNA) at hand, and want to go to med school. Two just tell you they want to go to med school, why they want to go to med school, and what kind of doctor they want to become. It is obvious the two that emailed you about what kind of doctor they want to become are only interested in doing some type of research, and they don't care what kind it is. You would obviously pick out of the 3 students who say they are interested in what you are researching.

Remember most of the professors are not MD's, and their careers are research.

It is good your friend vouched for you, however, I personally believe you added too much about becoming a doctor and not enough about the actual research. Another point, try to get to know the professor personally (take his course, if possible, go to office hours). This way he knows who he's going to be working with, and that you won't flank out on him one night if you want to go get wasted with your mates. Remember, he's the one investing time in YOU.

I hope I didn't come off as a dick. Good luck on getting into a lab, and I hope your situation does work out for you!

/end wall of text

I completely agree with you on getting to know about his research and that perhaps I wasn't clear on why I was interested in joining his lab rather than why I wanted research. I did in my first email indicate an interest in the general research that his university page had, however I couldn't find any journal publications he made after spending an hour on pubmed and going through his site.

I was hoping I could get a meeting to actually talk with him about his research and decide if it was a good fit for me or not, but I guess that isn't how he does it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I completely agree with you on getting to know about his research and that perhaps I wasn't clear on why I was interested in joining his lab rather than why I wanted research. I did in my first email indicate an interest in the general research that his university page had, however I couldn't find any journal publications he made after spending an hour on pubmed and going through his site.

I was hoping I could get a meeting to actually talk with him about his research and decide if it was a good fit for me or not, but I guess that isn't how he does it.

That's really odd that you couldn't find any of his publications, though?
 
I completely agree with you on getting to know about his research and that perhaps I wasn't clear on why I was interested in joining his lab rather than why I wanted research. I did in my first email indicate an interest in the general research that his university page had, however I couldn't find any journal publications he made after spending an hour on pubmed and going through his site.

I was hoping I could get a meeting to actually talk with him about his research and decide if it was a good fit for me or not, but I guess that isn't how he does it.

Yeah him not having any publications does seem a little strange. If this doesn't work out for you I wouldn't get too down about it. Keep trying and if you really want to research eventually you'll get a spot. You did the right thing trying to find his publications and get to know about his research, and if he wouldn't have a meeting with you beforehand I honestly don't think you want to do research with him 😉 Keep moving along!
 
I am in my current lab because of my friend. I asked all about the research and read some papers. Once I determined I was actually interested, I emailed the PI. I've been in that lab since last semester, it's great when you have a really interesting question you're trying to answer.

Make sure you are genuinely interested. My 2 cents.
 
Bumping because I'm (almost) in the exact same position and need opinions on this:

I have not heard back from him at all and do not believe he has chosen who he wants.

Is there any point in sending a new email to him confirming that I am indeed still interested in his lab? I'm not sure how to go about phrasing it or if it would even give me any type of advantage over the other applicants