Following Up After Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JuliusErving

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been following up with the programs they're interested in? I've been kind of concerned with the general responses I've gotten after touching base with a couple of programs to reiterate my interest. The responses I've gotten aren't very reassuring that I'm a candidate they really want. I was told that I was a very talented candidate and was wished luck in the match. I guess the thing I'm wondering is whether programs would come right out and say, "We want you" if they really planned on ranking you highly. I feel my rotations and interviews went very well, but I never felt like I was being recruited to the programs. I may be thinking too much into things, but if I was a program director and really wanted a person working for me, I'd want to make it a point to let him/her know. Any advice or personal experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I feel my rotations and interviews went very well, but I never felt like I was being recruited to the programs.

This post is speaking my mind. I don't have any advice but it's nice to hear other people have had a similar experience. I interviewed at some competitive and some less competitive programs but the response was always positive but vague. I feel like I'm no more likely to match to my 10th choice program than my 1st. I thought it might be because of the large number of applicants this year. Programs don't feel like they have to heavily recruit students with so many qualifies applicants. Or maybe that's how it always is.

Exactly. I felt like everyone of my interviews was a get to know you session, which went well. I do know a few people, though, who matched into competitive programs I years past who got phone calls and/or emails from program directors and chief residents following up on their level of interest. I'm kind of concerned that I haven't gotten any of those, at least not without an initiating email. Has anyone gotten these recruiting calls/emails yet, or does that usually happen closer to the deadline?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't read too much into it one way or the other. Someplace might say "We look forward to working with you," and then you don't match there, even though they ranked you highly and they thought there was a pretty good chance you'd end up there; and another place might say "good luck," rank you low on their list, and then you could still end up there. Or vice versa, or some other scenario. Technically, programs are not supposed to give you any info about where you are on their list. Some places may simply abide by this rule more than others. In the end, it boils down to the match algorithm which factors in everyone elses rank lists too. Which means other than you ranking a program #1 and that program ranking you to match (e.g., in their top 5 for a program with 5 spots), who knows what's gonna happen? Generally speaking, you can count on top programs not needing to go very far down their list to fill. Then again, some decent programs occasionally don't fill in the match. All you can do is put your ROL in the order you really want it, and then wait for that fateful day. Until then, I wouldn't read too much in to the communications you do or don't receive.

Has anyone been following up with the programs they're interested in? I've been kind of concerned with the general responses I've gotten after touching base with a couple of programs to reiterate my interest. The responses I've gotten aren't very reassuring that I'm a candidate they really want. I was told that I was a very talented candidate and was wished luck in the match. I guess the thing I'm wondering is whether programs would come right out and say, "We want you" if they really planned on ranking you highly. I feel my rotations and interviews went very well, but I never felt like I was being recruited to the programs. I may be thinking too much into things, but if I was a program director and really wanted a person working for me, I'd want to make it a point to let him/her know. Any advice or personal experiences would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Agree with Prof. The only thing you can take to the bank is your own feelings and perception of the program. I like many others got the emails and phone calls asking about "the decision" from smaller programs and larger programs. Some programs even told me I was in their top 5, 7, 10 whatever number of spots they had to match there. Frankly, this is a match violation and caused me to question the integrity of said programs. I knew all of my top 5 programs were interested via phone or email which is ok, if the language used is vague. Vague is the program protecting itself. They want to put the right butts in the right seats, ensure they have the right fit for the program, and honestly ensure they have a work force mostly for hospital rotations call etc.

Rank how you want to match regardless of what anyone tells you. My #1 gave me little or no indication they would rank me high, but here I am at the place I ranked one and wanted to train at.

It's a game. Play it smart. Don't overthink it. Remember the match is in your favor not the programs.

Yeah, I guess that's what has me a bit nervous. People are getting phone calls and emails from programs following up on their interest, not the other way around. I only get vague responses after following up. Anyways, I know it's all but done at this point, but I'd like to head into Match Day not completely blinded as to where I stand.

Last edited:
I wouldn't read too much into it one way or the other. Someplace might say "We look forward to working with you," and then you don't match there, even though they ranked you highly and they thought there was a pretty good chance you'd end up there; and another place might say "good luck," rank you low on their list, and then you could still end up there. Or vice versa, or some other scenario. Technically, programs are not supposed to give you any info about where you are on their list. Some places may simply abide by this rule more than others. In the end, it boils down to the match algorithm which factors in everyone elses rank lists too. Which means other than you ranking a program #1 and that program ranking you to match (e.g., in their top 5 for a program with 5 spots), who knows what's gonna happen? Generally speaking, you can count on top programs not needing to go very far down their list to fill. Then again, some decent programs occasionally don't fill in the match. All you can do is put your ROL in the order you really want it, and then wait for that fateful day. Until then, I wouldn't read too much in to the communications you do or don't receive.

Well said.

Agree with other posters. The match is built in your favor,. Your preferences are ranked higher than the programs. So rank according to what you want, not whether or not they have sent you flowers and chocolates.

Some programs are trying to be ethical by not giving you even a whiff of "Hey I want you here". Other places don't mind calling you up on a Friday night to beg you to rank them #1.

It is a game. Stay calm and it will all work out in the end.