footwear for scrubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jabroni108

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the appropriate footwear to wear with OR scrubs? what are the trends?

Members don't see this ad.

I wear my Dansko clogs with scrubs. You'll see a fairly wide variety of clogs worn with scrubs... personal preference really dictates the choice. Some people wear sneakers. Mainly the important thing is to wear shoes that you'll be comfortable standing in for HOURS.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kak:
•I wear my Dansko clogs with scrubs. You'll see a fairly wide variety of clogs worn with scrubs... personal preference really dictates the choice. Some people wear sneakers. Mainly the important thing is to wear shoes that you'll be comfortable standing in for HOURS.•••••Can the men wear clogs in the OR without getting razzed?

Also, do the clogs provide good support? I would be afraid that they'd bee too hard.

racerx

Members don't see this ad :)
Racerx,
Actually the clogs are fairly common among both men and women. They won't think anything of it, really. As for comfort... that's where personal preference comes into play. I really like my clogs and find that they give me lots of support for standing long hours. Others don't find them as comfy, some people complain of leg/foot aches. Go to the store and look around. Try on different types before deciding. Dansko clogs will run about $100, so its really unfortunate if you buy them and end up hating them (as some of my classmates have done).

yes, i too have heard that clogs were popular, but i can't see them being more comfortable than sneakers (especailly if you are paying 100$ for a pair of clogs!).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jabroni108:
•yes, i too have heard that clogs were popular, but i can't see them being more comfortable than sneakers (especailly if you are paying 100$ for a pair of clogs!).•••••Part of the popularity of clogs stems from the fact that you can slip them on and off. They're great when you're on call.

Some people also prefer to let their feet air out from time to time. That's a little more difficult to do when you're perpetually laced up.

Clogs or running shoes are acceptable with scrubs. Both are comfotable.

Shoes worn in the OR really should be used only for that purpose. If street shoes or others are usedshoe covers are a must. (decrease possibilityof contamination.) Take a look to see what the OR nurses and others who are there on a daily basis are using. they have a reason for doing it, ask.

The benefit to clogs that I haven't seen mentioned is that they can be sterilized. Anywears (brand name) and Birkinstocks both make a rubber clog that have removable insoles. (I'm not sure if Dansko makes a similar model. The ones I have seeen are leather.) The rest of it can go in the autoclave. Nice if you get blood on them. Can't do that with running shoes.

By the way, Anywears are about $47. I think the Birkos are about $90. Decent suppostive running shoes are about the same range. If you are looking for a pair of shoes to dedicate to the OR you're looking at about the same money either way.

Until I bought Clogs, I did'nt think anything could be more comfortable then running sneakers. But now that I have made the switch I will never go back. I love my Birkenstock Super Birkis, easy to clean ( they can be autoclaved) and provide unbelivable support. I even wore them when i was on call for rotations other than surgery. Believe me, everyone in the hospital are wearing them. My advice, go to a store that sell them and try some on and see which agree with you the best.....good luck :clap:

i mean i know what autoclaving is, but shoes? thats awesome

I favor the low-profile Mediplogs plus(~$50) for trooping around the hospital. The Dansk's are worn by a # of my other surgery resident friends, but the height of the heels makes me feel unstable.

Go to Ross........they have Clarks clogs for 30 bucks that are kick-ass

Nice thread, got any bigger fish to fry?