Would anyone care if I sweat through scrubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mingomango

Reaction score
I have a weird condition where a small area of my chest on my left side sweats a lot when I get nervous (think like bad underarm sweat, but on an area of chest the size of a small hand), even while taking anti-sweat medication. My back also gets pretty sweaty though much less so. I'm wondering if anyone would care if I sweat through my scrubs in the front when nervous? It doesn't bother me day-to-day but it's causing me a lot of anxiety thinking an attending will care. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be fine. There is ribbing and some making fun in surgery, but don’t let on that it bothers you. Make a joke out of it if you have to and no one will care. Same goes with any weirdness which we all have. Just remember the words of Tyrion Lannister, “never forget what you are... and it can never be used to hurt you.”

Reactions: 6 users
Answer to your question is "probably" even if ppl don't say it. It probably definitely will bother someone.
How about you wear a t-shirt underneath? Wouldn't that help a little?

Members don't see this ad :)
Answer to your question is "probably" even if ppl don't say it. It probably definitely will bother someone.
How about you wear a t-shirt underneath? Wouldn't that help a little?

I can definitely wear a t-shirt underneath if the hospital allows it. Do you think it'll bother anyone enough to restrict my progress in medicine? I don't want the issue to derail my career plans and that's my main concern at the moment.

Try gain control of the thermostat from the anesthetist, that's my 2 cents :p

Reactions: 1 users
no one will care. but if you do, - there is a trick that models use for armpits, - buy female pantyliners and put them underneath. No one will see it, and you will feel perfect. you will forget they are even there.

Reactions: 2 users
Wear an undershirt if you are overly concerned .

Reactions: 1 user
Wear an undershirt if you are overly concerned .

Quick question--an undershirt would actually be perfect (same as the panty liner option but undershirts seem more practical), but I'm not sure if all hospitals allow their use. Do you know if it's common for hospitals to allow undershirts under scrubs? I have no clue.

Quick question--an undershirt would actually be perfect (same as the panty liner option but undershirts seem more practical), but I'm not sure if all hospitals allow their use. Do you know if it's common for hospitals to allow undershirts under scrubs? I have no clue.
if you were wearing a sleeveless undershirt no one would care.
It depends on the hospital and their policies, if you were wearing a sleeveless undershirt it is likely no one would care.

I doubt it will matter. Mind though that it can get really hot when wearing the sterile gown for extended periods, at least for me.

What can happen? Someone says, "Hey, you have something on your shirt."
Then you have a ton of options, depending on who said it and how formal or jocular or nuclear you want to go.
"Oh, thanks, yeah, I spilled something. Thankfully it's the hospital's scrubs - won't have to pay for dry cleaning!"
"Dude, why are you staring at my chest? You like what you see?" or "It makes me uncomfortable that you were staring at my chest. I would prefer you not comment on my personal appearance."
"Oh, yeah, little bit of hyperhidrosis. No big"
"Aw, man, my prolactinoma is acting up again."
"Huh, that's a weird design for the scrubs to have there."
"Yeah, man, lactating supernumerary mammary. Wanna see?"
I mean, the possibilities are endless!

In reality, no big deal. If anyone has a problem with it, that's on them.

I mean, some people with breasts wear bras under scrubs. Bras are basically sleeveless undershirts!

Reactions: 6 users
I can definitely wear a t-shirt underneath if the hospital allows it. Do you think it'll bother anyone enough to restrict my progress in medicine? I don't want the issue to derail my career plans and that's my main concern at the moment.

Wear an undershirt or cover gown/lab coat over your scrubs.
No one will care. Plus, scrubs dry fast.

I wear a bra and a cami under every shirt i own. Totally a non issue

I regularly sweat through my scrubs in the OR. Lead + hot lights + dad bod = lots of sweat. I regularly come out of cases looking like I've showered in my scrubs. A few times (if I need to see a consult immediately) I'll change, but usually I just dry off.

If it bothers you, wear an undershirt. If a nurse challenges you (damn aorn) challenge them to show you a study which shows that wearing an undershirt increases infection rates more than sweating on a patient. Hint- they can't. This is why I insist on wearing a cotton surgeon's cap.

In clinic or on the wards if it bothers you just wear your white coat.

Just don't sweat on the surgical field. That is bad! Everything else is forgivable.

What can happen? Someone says, "Hey, you have something on your shirt."
Then you have a ton of options, depending on who said it and how formal or jocular or nuclear you want to go.
"Oh, thanks, yeah, I spilled something. Thankfully it's the hospital's scrubs - won't have to pay for dry cleaning!"
"Dude, why are you staring at my chest? You like what you see?" or "It makes me uncomfortable that you were staring at my chest. I would prefer you not comment on my personal appearance."
"Oh, yeah, little bit of hyperhidrosis. No big"
"Aw, man, my prolactinoma is acting up again."
"Huh, that's a weird design for the scrubs to have there."
"Yeah, man, lactating supernumerary mammary. Wanna see?"
I mean, the possibilities are endless!

In reality, no big deal. If anyone has a problem with it, that's on them.

mega cringe

Undershirts are allowed everywhere as long as the sleeves aren't longer than the scrub sleeves. I wore a plain white t-shirt under every pair of scrubs I've ever worn.

I regularly sweat through my scrubs in the OR. Lead + hot lights + dad bod = lots of sweat. I regularly come out of cases looking like I've showered in my scrubs. A few times (if I need to see a consult immediately) I'll change, but usually I just dry off.

If it bothers you, wear an undershirt. If a nurse challenges you (damn aorn) challenge them to show you a study which shows that wearing an undershirt increases infection rates more than sweating on a patient. Hint- they can't. This is why I insist on wearing a cotton surgeon's cap.

In clinic or on the wards if it bothers you just wear your white coat.

Just don't sweat on the surgical field. That is bad! Everything else is forgivable.
Reminds me of a time back when I was a student. This attending was sweating so bad that his glasses slipped and landed IN the patient. There was just this big silence followed by the surgeon’s soul being sucked out of his body in the form of 1000 swear words.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know if you've looked into this already, but if your sweat is produced mainly in a specific region you could get botox. It might even be covered if you meet a certain criteria. Even if you have to pay out of pocket, a few hundred dollars to reduce your sweating for ~4 months might be worth it if you're adequately distressed by it. Otherwise, relax and wear an undershirt - nobody is perfect.

I don't know if you've looked into this already, but if your sweat is produced mainly in a specific region you could get botox. It might even be covered if you meet a certain criteria. Even if you have to pay out of pocket, a few hundred dollars to reduce your sweating for ~4 months might be worth it if you're adequately distressed by it. Otherwise, relax and wear an undershirt - nobody is perfect.

Was about to say this. Fix the problem at the source. I have hyperhidrosis, planning to do Botox on specific problem areas soon, but I take A low dose glycopyrrolate When I know I’ll be nervous (first couple days of rotation, presentations, etc) and works pretty well

I know a guy who picked EM over FM for his career path mainly because he sweated a lot less in scrubs than in a shirt and tie under a white coat.

So yeah .... sweating is a major anxiety-provoking issue in the healthcare profession.