For a High School Junior, what's path to Neurosurgery?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etzer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a Junior in High School and have been interested in neurosurgery for a while now. I know of the major effort it takes to get there, but recently I was given some magazines and books on the subject, and they just helped increase my interest. To be honest, I didn't have a clue about college and how it works until the start of my Junior year when I moved from PR to NY (you wouldn't believe the lack of resources in PR, not to mention the lack of a counselor of any kind to help), so if you'll answer my questions, please keep in mind you're responding to someone who literally knows next to nothing about college and is still learning. :) I asked some questions to my College Counselor in my new school in Ny and she started to lead me in the right direction. My questions are: While I understand I have to get into Pre-Med, should I have any specific major? In addition to that, I have an above 89% average and am considering to apply for the Macauly Honors program, is there any CUNY that is better for Pre-Med? And finally, what are my steps after Pre-Med? If there's anything else I need to know, please tell me, I'm honestly clueless.

Thanks in advance! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I'm a Junior in High School and have been interested in neurosurgery for a while now. I know of the major effort it takes to get there, but recently I was given some magazines and books on the subject, and they just helped increase my interest. To be honest, I didn't have a clue about college and how it works until the start of my Junior year when I moved from PR to NY (you wouldn't believe the lack of resources in PR, not to mention the lack of a counselor of any kind to help), so if you'll answer my questions, please keep in mind you're responding to someone who literally knows next to nothing about college and is still learning. :) I asked some questions to my College Counselor in my new school in Ny and she started to lead me in the right direction. My questions are: While I understand I have to get into Pre-Med, should I have any specific major? In addition to that, I have an above 89% average and am considering to apply for the Macauly Honors program, is there any CUNY that is better for Pre-Med? And finally, what are my steps after Pre-Med? If there's anything else I need to know, please tell me, I'm honestly clueless.

Thanks in advance! :D

Pick a major you are GENUINELY interested in, no matter what it is (unless its drama). Sprinkle in your pre-med courses and study hard for the MCAT. If you love what you study your grades will come easy and you will be much happier with your college education. You do NOT need to be a biology or chemistry major to get into medical school. Don't forget some extra-curriculars and some volunteer stuff to round out your application.

The biggest mistake I made was becoming a Biology/Chemistry major thinking I needed to do so to get into medical school. If I could do it all over again I would be a Econ/Engineering/History/English major because by now I have completely forgotten ALL of the high level Chemistry, Math, and Physics because when you don't use it, you lose it. Its not the least bit interesting to talk about and it is completely useless for what I will be doing for the rest of my career.

After medical school (4 yrs) you have a neurosurgery residency (7 yrs) +/- fellowship (1-2 yrs).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for both your answers.

So, what you're saying is I don't have to have any type of Science major to get into medical school? Because everyone I've asked have told me that I need to major in exactly that, Chemistry/Biology. For example, I do some Graphic Design work and Media in my free time or for school; so by what you're saying, I could major in either of those or anything else and still get into medical school?

Last edited:
Thank you for both your answers.

So, what you're saying is I don't have to have any type of Science major to get into medical school? Because everyone I've asked have told me that I need to major in exactly that, Chemistry/Biology. For example, I do some Graphic Design work and Media in my free time or for school; so by what you're saying, I could major in either of those or anything else and still get into medical school?

Yes, so long as you get the required pre-med courses needed for med school into your schedule. At my college, I was able to do a pre-med major to get those requirements in, and did an additional major in a foreign language with minors in neuroscience and art. My majors/minors were a topic of interest for my residency interviews and I matched @ my top choice neurosurg program. I have no regrets studying what I like, and recommend it for all, so long as you are well-prepared for the MCAT and get your required bio and chem classes in. Majoring in Bio/Chem facilitates that but it is not necessary. Good luck!

you need to chill out first off...take it a step at a time

first undergrad and mcat, then med school then residency etc.

Theres no way you really know you want to be a neurosergeun, ..i mean you havn't even done undergrad science so what you like scientifically and what you may even be capable of understanding is foreign t oyuo

following this, first there s medical school...thats where most people learn what they like in medicine and choose a specialty...its hard to know you want to be neurosurgeon if you havnt experienced any other aspects of medicine including neurosurgery...In fact most likely your syaing this bc of the prestige involved in the job

one step at a time there pal

you need to chill out first off...take it a step at a time

first undergrad and mcat, then med school then residency etc.

Theres no way you really know you want to be a neurosergeun, ..i mean you havn't even done undergrad science so what you like scientifically and what you may even be capable of understanding is foreign t oyuo

following this, first there s medical school...thats where most people learn what they like in medicine and choose a specialty...its hard to know you want to be neurosurgeon if you havnt experienced any other aspects of medicine including neurosurgery...In fact most likely your syaing this bc of the prestige involved in the job

one step at a time there pal

With that so eloquently stated, I too wanted to be a neurosurgeon since before high school. I never veered from that aspiration, and I am finally very close. So do not give up, but do keep your mind open. I love it, and you may also, but if you go down this long road for the wrong reasons, you will be miserable.

What others have said is true: good enough grades in high school to get into college (plus do other things to be well-rounded), good enough grades in whatever major (including medical school prerequisites) in college and good enough MCAT scores to get into medical school, good enough grades and board scores in medical school to get into a neurosurgery residency, and then work harder than you've ever worked until you've done your time and get released to finally get a real job.

Other things that I did in high school (medically-related) included: take a CPR course, then a first responder course (if they have them in your state). That way you can volunteer as a medica and get experience. Also, take an EMT course (my high school offered them) - then you can do ride-alongs and even get a job in a hospital.

I hope these suggestions help. If you really want to be a neurosurgeon, don't let others dissuade you, but don't be closed-minded either. Again, it's a great field if you love it, but I know a bunch of people who are miserable because they did it for the wrong reasons and now they are stuck.

Good luck and feel free to email or PM if you have other questions.

-Jason
[email protected]

With that so eloquently stated, I too wanted to be a neurosurgeon since before high school. I never veered from that aspiration, and I am finally very close. So do not give up, but do keep your mind open. I love it, and you may also, but if you go down this long road for the wrong reasons, you will be miserable.

What others have said is true: good enough grades in high school to get into college (plus do other things to be well-rounded), good enough grades in whatever major (including medical school prerequisites) in college and good enough MCAT scores to get into medical school, good enough grades and board scores in medical school to get into a neurosurgery residency, and then work harder than you've ever worked until you've done your time and get released to finally get a real job.

Other things that I did in high school (medically-related) included: take a CPR course, then a first responder course (if they have them in your state). That way you can volunteer as a medica and get experience. Also, take an EMT course (my high school offered them) - then you can do ride-alongs and even get a job in a hospital.

I hope these suggestions help. If you really want to be a neurosurgeon, don't let others dissuade you, but don't be closed-minded either. Again, it's a great field if you love it, but I know a bunch of people who are miserable because they did it for the wrong reasons and now they are stuck.

-Jason
[email protected]
Really, thanks, and your suggestions for what to do while in high school are also a good help. I do understand I have to be certain, and have the right reasons to want this. Contrary to what Colonol Forbin says, I am not interested in Neurosurgery because of 'prestige', I'm genuinely fascinated with the brain and as I read more into the job, I'm becoming more interested in it. These replies really clear up a lot, thanks.

Last edited:

-Jason
[email protected]
i agree with everything greymew said... but dont let the "good enough"s to mean "all right". you need better than all right to get from 1 level to the next. not trying to boast or dissuade you or anything -- in fact for me, i did "all right" in high school to get into college, all right to get from college to med school, but it seems that its a far higher jump from med school to a ns residency.

feel free to disagree -- in fact for all the neurosurgeons in the room who disagree, please do so so i dont feel that it's THAT long of a shot for me...

Really, thanks, and your suggestions for what to do while in high school are also a good help. I do understand I have to be certain, and have the right reasons to want this. Contrary to what Colonol Forbin says, I am not interested in Neurosurgery because of 'prestige', I'm genuinely fascinated with the brain and as I read more into the job, I'm becoming more interested in it. These replies really clear up a lot, thanks.

Hey, Etzer.
I'm a high school student interested in a medical career as well, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I can't speak authoritatively on most subjects, but from what I've gathered, neurosurgery is (at least in private practice) mostly spinal surgeries, but a fascination with the nervous system is key (otherwise many neurosurgeons would just do orthospine if they wanted to do spine surgery).

You might want to check out these books...
http://www.amazon.com/Another-Day-Frontal-Lobe-Surgeon/dp/1400063205

http://www.amazon.com/When-Air-Hits-Your-Brain/dp/0393038947

Best of luck.

Hey, Etzer.
I'm a high school student interested in a medical career as well, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I can't speak authoritatively on most subjects, but from what I've gathered, neurosurgery is (at least in private practice) mostly spinal surgeries, but a fascination with the nervous system is key (otherwise many neurosurgeons would just do orthospine if they wanted to do spine surgery).

Doxorubicin is right, there's a lot more to neurosurg than just the brain. lots of spinal surgeries.

what interests you most about the brain? neurology or psychiatry might be more up your alley.

if you do some research you'll also find that a number of medical specialties have sub-specialties in brain-related medicine. for example:
pathology: neuropathology
pediatrics: neurodevelopment disabilities, or developmental-behavioral pediatrics
radiology: neuroradiology
physical medicine and rehabilitation: brain injury medicine