For Admins/Mods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctaJay

bone breaker
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been around SDN for a little over 3 years and i truly value what the pre-allo forum has to offer. But the threads on affirmative action, minorities in medicine, etc., etc. litter the forums and never truly accomplish anything. I was wondering whether it would be possible to create a pre-allopathic SUB-forum (like the MCAT one), that is specifically made to discuss issues like this? It could be named generically "Pre-Allo Ethical Issues" or something like that. But just a forums that would clear the pre-allo main forum and leave more room for posts at are actually important be posted. If I need to become a donor/benefactor again too make it possible, I will. If this request is not possible, I understand.

Members don't see this ad.

We already have what you are asking for: Topics in Healthcare.

If you see posts in pre-allo that either don't have to do with getting into medical school or are the hot-button topics, feel free to use the report post button to bring it to the attention of the mods. :)

threads like those in a sub-forum would have zero traction.

the reason pre-allo sprouts such a wide variety of threads is because it usually has 300+ people looking in at any given moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh ok DrMom. I guess i was hoping that the AA threads would be considered as Topics in Healthcare...but I know that might be a stretch. But hey, it was worth asking anyway.

Oh ok DrMom. I guess i was hoping that the AA threads would be considered as Topics in Healthcare...but I know that might be a stretch. Buy hey, it was worth asking anyway.

:confused:

I thought that I just posted that they do belong in TIH.

If they are brought to the mods' attention by using the report post button, then we can move them as appropriate.

If they are brought to the mods' attention by using the report post button, then we can move them as appropriate.
oh, lol. its too early in the morning and I don't read well at this time! thanks for the response.

Hi there,

there was just recently a thread on white privilege, using some pretty solid women's studies sources, actually getting dialogue and self-reflection along with some knee-jerk racism. it got moved to an unmoderated forum. i too would have liked to see it go to topics in healthcare, which is moderated, and perhaps also have a moderator who could potentially guide discussion, with professional knowledge around these kinds of issues. unmoderated will mean a flame war, and a topic that truly gets at the heart of injustice once again gets thrown out. docta jay, i get frustrated too. in women's studies, dealing at this level was considered frustrating, when people who have a little more knowledge, respect, would wish to continue these conversations at a deeper level. i'm glad the topics in healthcare could be a possibility.

will it? it didn't happen just now!

[flag for moderator]

please mods, o please

LETS LIMIT THE ABILITY OF NEW SDN-ERS TO START THEIR OWN THREADS!!!

please mods, o please

Well, there was that poll a while ago, and the majority voted to not hinder the starting of new threads... I am assuming the majority of people who voted in said poll were new people, which may have skewed the results, obviously (and I base that assumption on nothing)

just thought of another reason why they SHOULD make that a rule (and i like making it a time issue, not number of post issue)...

it would certainly make people learn to use the seach function... the argument that it would be unfair to not allow people to post for a week or two doesnt make sense, in fact i dont know what it is, the only thing i can think of is that it is not fair for people not to be able to bring up whatever they want... thing is, given that there are like 40 pages of threads, I am pretty confidant that every topic has been broached at one time or another, or at least almost all topics...

so if you stopped people from starting new threads immediately, it would teach people to search for old threads of the same nature to resurrect them with a post, instead of just starting a new one... this in turn would lower the number of threads overall (which I would think would let searching work faster)

basically a win win situation, and I would like to know why it isnt being done?

Well, there was that poll a while ago, and the majority voted to not hinder the starting of new threads... I am assuming the majority of people who voted in said poll were new people, which may have skewed the results, obviously (and I base that assumption on nothing)

just thought of another reason why they SHOULD make that a rule (and i like making it a time issue, not number of post issue)...

it would certainly make people learn to use the seach function... the argument that it would be unfair to not allow people to post for a week or two doesnt make sense, in fact i dont know what it is, the only thing i can think of is that it is not fair for people not to be able to bring up whatever they want... thing is, given that there are like 40 pages of threads, I am pretty confidant that every topic has been broached at one time or another, or at least almost all topics...

so if you stopped people from starting new threads immediately, it would teach people to search for old threads of the same nature to resurrect them with a post, instead of just starting a new one... this in turn would lower the number of threads overall (which I would think would let searching work faster)

basically a win win situation, and I would like to know why it isnt being done?

Limiting new members from posting right away will not really solve the problems that you bring up. For starters, I think we all have some sort of experience with "Search" function being less than stellar on SDN. Both personally and from other threads I've read, the results often do not come back with the most recent or relevant topics related to a person's query.

Additionally, a lot of people spend time perusing the threads as guests and then want to all of the sudden want to ask a question that directly affects them. I know that my first post dealt with whether or not I received an automatic invite from Pitt and I did not see a single thread out there in the 2 months I spent as a guest touch this topic.

In regards to reducing the number of threads, while searching and such should reduce the number of threads, even some of the more experienced posters on SDN post stuff as a result of their frustration, joy, amusement, or whatever other emotion with this whole process. Even if their topics have been previously discussed and a simple search could produce these threads, people will still post. While I agree that searching does limit the total number of posts, it's probably not as much as anyone could genuinely hope for.

Finally, I just think it does a disservice to this community if we prevent people from starting a new thread when they join. Granted a week or two isn't a long time, but I think everyone on this site has at one point or another wanted or needed an immediate response to a question or concern. Making people wait a week to make their specific question or concern may be too late and hurt them in their application process, which no one wants to do. The SDN community, despite comprising competitive people competing for a select position, seems to genuinely want to see people succeed and reach their goals of becoming a physician. While limiting the time when a person can first make a thread on SDN may seem harmless enough, SDN does a disservice to those people's chances in this whole medical school process. All members should have an equal contribution in the process of thread creation and discussion regardless of the time or number of posts they have previously contributed to the forums.

well, let me start that I am playing devils advocate here more than anything, I am actually pretty neutral here as to whether or not there should be limitations (and btw, I do not ever expect for them to be put in place)...

I think you are reaching a bit to say that it does a big disservice - for instance, your question about Pitt - you could have easily posted this in a thread about pitt, and surely someone knowledgable would have known the answer? Yes it is harder than posting a new thread, but this is only a week or two we are talking about here...

i played up the idea that it would lead to less posts but I agree, it wouldnt cut down enough to make any searches faster (that was more of a perfect world outcome)

If i start a thread, and I have only started a couple, I usually run a search real quick to see if it is out there... yes the normal search function sucks but the advanced search has never really given me a problem. Basically the point of getting people to search within the first week is to ingrain it in them that you should really search for a thread before starting it... you could never make anyone do anything, and certainly some people will be lazy, but my point is that by doing so, even for a week, searching might become a part of the natural posting process for everyone, which would cut down on clutter...

i doubt this will ever happen, and I also doubt that it would work as I envision it working, but there it is

well, let me start that I am playing devils advocate here more than anything, I am actually pretty neutral here as to whether or not there should be limitations (and btw, I do not ever expect for them to be put in place)...

I think you are reaching a bit to say that it does a big disservice - for instance, your question about Pitt - you could have easily posted this in a thread about pitt, and surely someone knowledgable would have known the answer? Yes it is harder than posting a new thread, but this is only a week or two we are talking about here...

i played up the idea that it would lead to less posts but I agree, it wouldnt cut down enough to make any searches faster (that was more of a perfect world outcome)

If i start a thread, and I have only started a couple, I usually run a search real quick to see if it is out there... yes the normal search function sucks but the advanced search has never really given me a problem. Basically the point of getting people to search within the first week is to ingrain it in them that you should really search for a thread before starting it... you could never make anyone do anything, and certainly some people will be lazy, but my point is that by doing so, even for a week, searching might become a part of the natural posting process for everyone, which would cut down on clutter...

i doubt this will ever happen, and I also doubt that it would work as I envision it working, but there it is

All good points. I, too, was guilty of playing devils advocate because like you I am not in favor of one system or the other. Just thought I'd throw in the opposing argument to get a discussion going... :)

i think there needs to be an sdn constitution...allowing freedom of speech

Hi there,

there was just recently a thread on white privilege, using some pretty solid women's studies sources, actually getting dialogue and self-reflection along with some knee-jerk racism. it got moved to an unmoderated forum. i too would have liked to see it go to topics in healthcare, which is moderated, and perhaps also have a moderator who could potentially guide discussion, with professional knowledge around these kinds of issues. unmoderated will mean a flame war, and a topic that truly gets at the heart of injustice once again gets thrown out. docta jay, i get frustrated too. in women's studies, dealing at this level was considered frustrating, when people who have a little more knowledge, respect, would wish to continue these conversations at a deeper level. i'm glad the topics in healthcare could be a possibility.

will it? it didn't happen just now!

[flag for moderator]

Some threads/topics are more appropriate for the sociopolitical forum, others for topics in healthcare.

How about a designated "Flame Forum"?

If we had one of those, Genetics might still be with us . . . <sniff>

i think there needs to be an sdn constitution...allowing freedom of speech

Hells yeah! I'll go get the signs, you buy the paint and markers. After we're done we can sit around and watch Norma Rae while our brownies finish cooling.

Segregation Never!
Integration Now!

We have been too long shoved down by the SDN Aristocracy!
We must stand up as one and declare our Rights, by force if necessary!
We will not be oppressed! We will not be silenced!
Let history record this moment as the dawn of a glorious new era, where the working class need not fear the roving bands of Lee Burnett's vicious henchmen.
Viva la Cockatiel!

How about a designated "Flame Forum"?

If we had one of those, Genetics might still be with us . . . <sniff>
uh oh. Tired, are you missing him already? :p

isn't the lounge a flame forum? it's suppose to be unmoderated

uh oh. Tired, are you missing him already? :p

isn't the lounge a flame forum? it's suppose to be unmoderated

Hate to admit it, but yeah, I kind of miss the little fool.

And yes, I realize the unmoderated forums qualify, but maybe if there were a dedicated space to vent at other users, he wouldn't have been such a . . . well, idiot, in the moderated regions.

please mods, o please

I think that might just lead to people doing a lot of pointless posts in order to get the mileage they need for new-thread privileges. I dunno. :confused:

How about making new people have sponsors or have their new threads approved before they're put in the queue? Or, what about making people use their school email address so they couldn't have several SDN names? I know at my school we're only given one email address.

I definitely agree that the juvenile, attention seeking or shock value threads/posts are tedious and detract from the site overall.

Just my thoughts. :oops:

Although the school email thing is certainly worth merit, you have to keep in mind many users here have been away from school for a long time (nontrads) and dont use their .edu addressses. Also alumni sometimes lose their .edu accounts after graduation. As well, some residents work in hospitals without an affiliated university attached to it, and thus, their email address may change (.org or .com).

Personally I dont have a problem with new users posting threads. Although some of them dont belong here, the mods just move it (it is in the job description). But, the mods have takled about this type of thing ad nauseum with no clear solution. There have been suggestions of a "graduated" system- to allow for say 1-2 PMs/New Threads for the first day, with more tacked on the next day until they are a fully graduated user a week later. That way, new users have to be wary of what exactly they post and might be more cognizant of the search feature, good or not. There have been other suggestions as well, but none lend more clout than the other.

To date however, I personally dont think SDN has lost any of its inherent value because of new users posting things over and over again. It keeps us all up to date with things even if they are talked ad nauseum. I cant possibly tell you how much more well informed I am through threads about topics posted ad nauseum, such as racial and diversity issues in medicine,how adcoms work, osteopathic medicine vs. allopathic medicine, financial aid, rankings, etc..etc.. because of new users posting the same questions over and over with new opinions and facts added in each time.