For all future Ophthalmologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone I guess I'll be the 1st to post. I'm hoping that I can use this thread to gather ideas and recommendations for aspiring ophthalmologists.

1. What schools have research in Ophthalmology available for students?

2. Do those schools allow outside medical students to participate?

If I can get people from many different schools to post what their school has available, or if they have any information on national (i.e. NIH ) programs, then this can benefit many. Hopefully people will respond. Thanks.

Oh, as far as my school, I'm going to work with the surgery club to gather ideas. As soon as I receive any info. I'll post it here.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the link John.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to know what schools have required opthalmology clerkships independent of other clerkships. I know Johns Hopkins does, but I see very few others. I also want to know which schools have ophthalmology clinical and research electives.

Thanks.

angelic02,

I do know that NYU has Ophthalmology clinical and research electives. I was speaking with Dr. Goodwin Breinin who I believe is affiliated with the Ophthalmology residency program at NYU (he may be the head??). He told me to contact a physician by the name of Dr. Guyer who is the current chair of
the department for information and research possibilities.

I have e-mailed Dr. Guyer twice, but I have not heard a response. maybe you can try. His e-mail address is: [email protected] .

If you hear a response from him, please post it here and let us know what he said. Good Luck!!

DOnut,

Thank you very much. I will contact Dr. Guyer. Thanks again!

angelic02,

any word from Dr. Gauyer????

DOnut,

I have not received any information from Dr. Guyer, however, I have received a website from the administration, writing on behalf of Dr. Guyer, listed on the thread below this one.

Mayo has an Ophthalmology research center open to students (there is a required 17-week minimum research component for the Mayo M.D. program). I don't know too much about it and don't know if they allow visiting students. The Mayo ophthalmology clerkships at Rochester and Jacksonville clinics are open to visiting students.