For all students at Scholl

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2bepod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Scholl students, I need know your individual opinions and insights about your experiences at Scholl.

Please comment on the following and anything else you want to mention?

1) what year are you?
2) what do you like best about Scholl?
3) what do you like worst?
4) DO you ever wish you had chosen to go to another school?
5) how competitive is your class and the school environment (do students help each other or just compete for better grades etc)?
6) Do your grades have + and - ?
7)Do you feel that going to Scholl will benefit you when you have to apply to externship programs and residency programs in a way in which being a student at another school wouldn't benefit you? PLease explain.
8) WHat is your average stress level on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the worst? Do you think your stress level would be different if you had chosen to go elsewhere?
9) Is it easy to get research opportunities?
10) If you could chose ONE thing that sets Scholl aside from ANY of the other schools, what would it be and why?

Thanks so much for answering these questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Scholl students, I need know your individual opinions and insights about your experiences at Scholl.

Please comment on the following and anything else you want to mention?

1) what year are you?
2) what do you like best about Scholl?
3) what do you like worst?
4) DO you ever wish you had chosen to go to another school?
5) how competitive is your class and the school environment (do students help each other or just compete for better grades etc)?
6) Do your grades have + and - ?
7)Do you feel that going to Scholl will benefit you when you have to apply to externship programs and residency programs in a way in which being a student at another school wouldn't benefit you? PLease explain.
8) WHat is your average stress level on a scale from 1-10, 10 being the worst? Do you think your stress level would be different if you had chosen to go elsewhere?
9) Is it easy to get research opportunities?
10) If you could chose ONE thing that sets Scholl aside from ANY of the other schools, what would it be and why?

Thanks so much for answering these questions.

Here ya go.

1. 3rd year

2. I like the mixture of podiatry student with students from other aspects of healthcare (MD, DPT, physician assistants, path assistants, nurse anesthetists, PhD, etc.). It serves as a point of educating us on what resources we have once we get into practice and educates them on who we are, giving podiatry more of a referral base.
We also begin rotating through our clinic in our 2nd year. It's nice to be able to put into practice what you've learned so far at that point as well as picking up clinical skills (FYI you're still supervised by P3 students and clinicians)

3. Being a 3rd year student, the long hours studying for exams. It can wear you down after 2 years. I'm ready to start more of my clinical rotations!

4. Never! I have no regrets.

5. Students, especially in their first two years, are very helpful toward one another. Third year students are still cooperative but get kinda defensive when it comes to applying to externships. We're not graded on a curve, so there's no reason not to help your future colleagues.

6. No. This is one change I've tried to make, but sadly probably won't happen. I'm usually on the A/B border and somehow manage to finish about 87-89% most of the time. While my GPA doesn't reflect how well I really do, a vast majority of clerkships and residencies don't care what your GPA is as long as it's not terrible. They would rather have someone who works hard and is clinically sound.

7. Absolutely. Scholl has put out the most alumni for podiatry and many of those alumni are residency directors. It's a point of conversation between you and them and they like to help their own.

8. Usually between 5-10. It can be very stressful at times during exams. I have no doubt my stress level probably would be less at other schools, but you're here to learn and you're expected to learn. I would rather be pushed to my full potential.

9. Very easy to get involved with research. the Center for Lower Extremity Ambulatory Research (CLEAR) is based out of Scholl. It's a research powerhouse. They typically take a number of students between P1 and P2 year for research projects. They also are very willing to pick up and fund student driven research projects and have no problems letting students use their equipment for research.

10. History and foresight. Scholl has a long and rich history (we'll be celebrating our 100th year with the class of 2012). We're continuing to integrate with our MD classes and we've moved to a 2+2 curriculum (2 years didactic and 2 years clinical) with the class of 2012.

Hope this helps.

That was incredibly helpful! Thanks! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
This was extremely helpful! Thanks for the question and answers :thumbup: I interview this Friday (Nov. 7th) :scared:

One more question: Did you live close to the college or closer to Chicago? How is the commute if you live in Evanston area? Thanks!

This was extremely helpful! Thanks for the question and answers :thumbup: I interview this Friday (Nov. 7th) :scared:

One more question: Did you live close to the college or closer to Chicago? How is the commute if you live in Evanston area? Thanks!

I commute from about 30min away (I'm originally from the area). Most students live around the school their first 2 years then move toward the city for their 3rd and 4th year (most rotations are in the city). The commute from Evanston isn't bad. You can hop on the Metra and take it north. The school has a shuttle that runs to the nearest train station (I believe Lake Bluff). Taking the highway isn't terrible either, rush hour traffic runs into the city in the morning, so going northbound traffic isn't bad.