For all that borrowed money from SallieMae

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Bring It On

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They will hunt you down and get their money....Dateline had a special about 6 weeks ago about SM, you cannot declare bankruptcy, you cannot get out of paying them back, they are protected by the government...so think twice about borrowing money from SM....the government pays them and then they come after you....on Dateline, there were pitiful stories of students that had been in car accidents or ill and were not physically able to make a payment...guess what...SM came after them anyway, took everything they had...sad stories🙁...just a FYI.
 
They will hunt you down and get their money....Dateline had a special about 6 weeks ago about SM, you cannot declare bankruptcy, you cannot get out of paying them back, they are protected by the government...so think twice about borrowing money from SM....the government pays them and then they come after you....on Dateline, there were pitiful stories of students that had been in car accidents or ill and were not physically able to make a payment...guess what...SM came after them anyway, took everything they had...sad stories🙁...just a FYI.

Sallie Mae is not Owned by the Government anymore
Sallie Mae Private is different then the Federal aid and can be discharged in a BK
Sallie Mae Fed student loans yes they are not dischargable in a BK yes they will hunt you down but this is not SM this is OUR FEDERAL GOV in action it's like the IRS!!!! Evil students! LOL

Whats sad is you borrow money you should pay it back why do so many think its ok to borrow from the Feds and then expect to not pay back? It is not a grant it is not a free ride, if too many do not pay then the Federal Gov of the USA may stop Guaranteed Student loans all together...............................Think about it.

Whats sad are the people who want want want and never give back

Yes the ones truly who have certain problems should be forgiven but that is the few not the many!
 
They will hunt you down and get their money....Dateline had a special about 6 weeks ago about SM, you cannot declare bankruptcy, you cannot get out of paying them back, they are protected by the government...so think twice about borrowing money from SM....the government pays them and then they come after you....on Dateline, there were pitiful stories of students that had been in car accidents or ill and were not physically able to make a payment...guess what...SM came after them anyway, took everything they had...sad stories🙁...just a FYI.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Say it ain't so Pa'! Say it ain't so! those bad mans, they be wantin' me to pay dem' back the $200,000 dollars I owe dem', and alls I got is dis' here medical diploma!!!!! 🙄

I mean, sorry dude, but if I loan you $200,000,you better believe I'm coming looking for it, come hell or highwater.

After I read your first sentence "they will hunt you down..." I went into fight or flight mode, pulses bounding, diaphoretic, hypervigilant...Then I looked outside, and hey, guess what, the sky was not falling.

You seem like a decent person from your other posts, so let me let you in on a secret that has worked for over 10,000 students that have gone before you: Take out loans, get degree, pay back loans, and relax brother!!! As they say in dominica, " chill brov'er, why you be trippin'? "
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you borrow upwards of 200K from any bank, you can sure bet that they will expect the money to paid back. If you look at things in the long run, 200K is nothing for the opportunity to enter one of the most highly respected and best paid professions. I had a friend who went to medical school in the early 90's, he spent about 100K total but now makes 200K a year as an Internist in private practice, so in the long run its a small price to pay for becoming an MD. There are also programs that allow you to reduce your debt, the Army will pay off about 100K of your debt for five years of service, some States will also pay down your debt if you work in an area of need.
 
The Dateline story was about students that were physically unable to pay the money back and wanted to work out something with SM to pay it back...again, one had been in a terrible car accident and was bed ridden....for SM then, it didn't matter to them. I agree with you all, borrow money you owe the loan company and pay them back....it was the SM people that didn't care if this person was not able to get out of bed...and wouldn't wait to work out some sort of payment plan...thats all....I respect all of your opinions=repay what you owe...thanks😀
 
The Dateline story was about students that were physically unable to pay the money back and wanted to work out something with SM to pay it back...again, one had been in a terrible car accident and was bed ridden....for SM then, it didn't matter to them. I agree with you all, borrow money you owe the loan company and pay them back....it was the SM people that didn't care if this person was not able to get out of bed...and wouldn't wait to work out some sort of payment plan...thats all....I respect all of your opinions=repay what you owe...thanks😀
I just thought it was funny ( ie. somewhat alarmist ) the way you phrased it. 😀 I would be very curious as to what percentage of carib. grads end up physically incapable of repaying Aunt Sallie. My guess would be < 1%. In any event, I sold my Harley just in case...


P.s. I do agree it sucks Donkey cajones that they go after the select few who find themselves in such an unfortunate position. As if being bedridden/wheelchair bound at a young age was not bad enough...
 
Yeah, you hear all kinds of bad things about Sallie Mae and that is why I switched mine to another company.:idea: