$ for DIY postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sendwich

you rock!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on starting a DIY postbac this summer. I know it's a little late to start thinking about where i'm going to get the $ to pay for the tuition/books/living costs, as i'm independent. i really want to do well within the next 1-2 yrs and was thinking about only working part-time (if even at all) since i'll be loading up on classes.

I'm looking for a loan that allows you to defer payment until waaay later when i'm out of school (assuming that i'll get into medschool afterwards).

any suggestions? (or anything you're doing that can help?)

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

if it helps, i'm thinking about taking my classes at either ucla or csla.

Hi, gh,

I don't know how much I can help, but here's what little I know:

Federal loans, like the Stafford loans, are probably your best bet, if you're eligible.

However, if you are ineligible for federal loans, you should try private loans, through places like Sallie Mae, Wells Fargo, Citibank, Bank One, etc. For some of them, you only need to be enrolled part-time.

Bank One, in particular, has a loan that might be what you're looking for - see this post:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=88170

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think alot of the federal loans require that you are matriculated.. for alot of the DIY programs, they are non degree seeking.. which means you dont qualify for the loans..

i'm in a DIY program right now, almost done.. but I am attending a state school, so the tuition isnt too bad... it comes to about 2500 a semester.

if anyone knows differently.. please post!

so the only way i would get $ is through private lenders, no? or are you saying DIY'ers don't qualify for any loans (since most loans are for degree-seeking individuals)

thanks

I agree with bonez - I've also heard that you need to be degree-seeking to get Federal loans. You would probably still qualify for private loans, though.

Your best bet would be to talk to the financial aid department in your particular school, as they could better inform you of your options and would know the loans their students typically use.

If you are concerned about qualifying for Federal loans since you are not degree-seeking, you could always enroll as a degree-seeking student. I have a friend here that is registered as working toward a biology degree, although he is only taking the required classes for medical school. He did this to get better class selection (science majors get first pick in the classes) and to get Federal financial aid, and he has no intention of finishing the degree. That's one other option you could consider, if your biggest concern is getting financial aid (although I don't know how admissions people would view the incompleted degree).

Good luck!