? for DO students who just matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello all DO students,
Would you all mind listing your school, your top five on your rank list, where you ended up matching, your class rank, and any board scores.
Thanks for taking the time for that.

Members don't see this ad.

PCSOM
In no particular order: Mississippi, VCU/MCV, Baystate MC (tufts), Maryland, SUNY Upstate
Matched at VCU
Middle of the class, not sure of my exact rank, board scores were middle of the road nothing spectacular, had very strong LORs, did well on all rotations.

KCUMB - Formerly UHS
Top quarter of class
No USMLE
Comlex - 85th % STEP 1, Mediocre step 2, but passed:)
Great LOR's
Ranked OHSU, Yale, Medical College Wisconsin, U of Florida, U of Arizona, SLU. Cancelled five other interviews due to burnout.

Matched at Yale!!!!!!!! my #2.

One word of advice, don't trust all the wining & dining you may receive from program directors. I thought I was a shoe in at my #1 spot. I rotated there, got great feedback as well as a great LOR stating that I was one of the best students to have ever rotating through that service. I was interviewed and was praised on my performance. I received numerous unsolicited correspondence from the PD saying I was a great match. I ranked them #1 and didn't match with them....I was totally blown away and felt betrayed (but I guess that's how the game is played sometimes). I'm not be too disappointed, Yale isn't a shabby consolation prize :laugh: .

Good luck next year!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I ranked:
Johns Hopkins
Wake Forest
Mayo
Wash U
Vanderbilt
UNC
Yale
etc.

Top 15% of class
COMLEX I and II > 90th %
USMLE step 2-245 (didn't take step 1)

Matched at Hopkins

Just so you don't think everyone gets their #1 even with good stats, great LORs, and (what I thought to be) excellent interviews:

NYCOM
Top 1/3 of class
COMLEX I 79%, Comlex II sucked, but passed greater than mean
USMLE Step I 217/88, Step II 236/96

Interviewed: Georgetown, Umass, UCONN, Univ. Maryland, Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, Wash U, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, Temple, Jefferson, Dartmouth, Mayo, Univ. Chicago.

Turned down interviews from: Pitt, Rochester, Albany, Case Western, Boston Univ, Drexel, Loyola, GW, Tufts

Ranked:
1. Univ. Chicago
2. Hopkins
3. Georgetown
4. Wash U
5. Mayo
6. Jefferson
7. Temple
8. St. Lukes-Roosevelt
9. UCONN

Matched #6, Thomas Jefferson. Not unhappy aboout being at Jeff, but would really like some feedback on what went wrong on 1-5. (Had strong interviews, good corespondence with program directors, excellent follow-up messages) Who knows? Anyway, its over and Philly will be awesome city to live in!

Congrats to all!

-B

I appreciate everyones candor with regards to the posting of stats and match lists, thank you.
If anyone else would like to share that would be great.

what are your thoughts on taking usmle 1 vs 2. would taking step 2 be ienough?

Only applied to NYC/NJ programs...

Ranked (in no particular order): St. Luke's Roosevelt, Albert Einstein/Montefiore, NYMC-Westchester, SUNY Stonybrook, SUNY Downstate

Matched...St. Luke's Roosevelt

Stats: UNECOM
Grades: 50/50 P's and HP's
COMLEX 1: >90%, COMLEX 2: >80%
No USMLE
Had strong letters (did rotations at NYU and St. Luke's-Roosevelt)
Guess i'm in top 1/4 of class

xampower said:
I ranked:
Johns Hopkins
Wake Forest
Mayo
Wash U
Vanderbilt
UNC
Yale
etc.

Top 15% of class
COMLEX I and II > 90th %
USMLE step 2-245 (didn't take step 1)

Matched at Hopkins

That’s awesome, congratulations, could you tell me what medical school you’re attending and whether you rotated at Hopkins.

NYCOM
Top 15% of class
COMLEX I and II: 90s
USMLE Step I 241/97, Step II didn't take......

ranked
1. Mt Sinai (rotated here)
2. Hopkins (DIDNT rotate here but was impressed on interview day and on a 2nd visit)
3. UPENN (rotated here)
4. UPITT
5. Rochestor
etc.

matched Hopkins....... :thumbup:

xam....congrats...look fwd to meeting you....

everyone else...congrats.....

Sue....step 2 should be enough.....i def think you should take one of the USMLE steps.....if you did well on 1, i wouldn't take 2....if you ae not happy with 1, take 2.......if you didn't take 1, def take 2......some programs will gladly accept comlex by itself (kind of have to do the dirty work and see which programs want what)...... comlex is a crapshoot ->poorly worded and structured exam.....i hear that it is computerized and one day now so that might make a big difference in scoring.....feel free to PM me for more info if you'd like.......

Frank51.. I did not do a rotation at Hopkins. I did do an away rotation at a big name and was able to receive two great letters from well known faculty. I think this is very important. I personally think letters are what separate applications.

As far as taking USMLE step 2 I think if you haven't taken step 1, step 2 is just as good. I had so many PDs tell me that they like step 2 scores b/c it gives an indication of clinical knowledge which they specifically said is what they prefer. They said however that unfortunately not many students submit or take step 2 until after interviews. I only took step 2.

AZCOM
Top 15% of class
Comlex 95%/77%
USMLE 214/211

Matched at UTMB!!!! I interviewed through out U.T. system ( Houston/Dallas/ Galveston) - which by far was my favorite, but I also interviewed at U of A, U of F, Wayne State, Henry Ford, U of N.M. Congrats to all!

TCOM

Comlex: 94%/99%
USMLE: 217/247
Top 15% of class.

Matched at UTMB Galveston.
Loved all of the programs I interviewed with. Very tough decision, but feel it is for the best.

Hat's off to everyone!

Very impressive and congratulations!

If you take Step 1 and Step 2, can you just report your Step 2 score?

JP2005 said:
NYCOM
Top 15% of class
COMLEX I and II: 90s
USMLE Step I 241/97, Step II didn't take......

ranked
1. Mt Sinai (rotated here)
2. Hopkins (DIDNT rotate here but was impressed on interview day and on a 2nd visit)
3. UPENN (rotated here)
4. UPITT
5. Rochestor
etc.

matched Hopkins....... :thumbup:

xam....congrats...look fwd to meeting you....

everyone else...congrats.....

Sue....step 2 should be enough.....i def think you should take one of the USMLE steps.....if you did well on 1, i wouldn't take 2....if you ae not happy with 1, take 2.......if you didn't take 1, def take 2......some programs will gladly accept comlex by itself (kind of have to do the dirty work and see which programs want what)...... comlex is a crapshoot ->poorly worded and structured exam.....i hear that it is computerized and one day now so that might make a big difference in scoring.....feel free to PM me for more info if you'd like.......

First, congrats on your match!! That's awesome! I didn't even know that all these big shot allopathic programs would accept us DOs.
I'll be taking my step exams in a couple years...starting UMDNJ-SOM this fall. I am very new to this process and would really appreciate your help if you could answer a few questions.
1. How early can you take the boards so you can get the score early enough to send to residency programs? Is it like MCATs where if you did well in April exam, u r good in the application process but by the time August scores come around, the med schools are half full already?
2. How does the rotation process work? I mean I know you can practically do them anywhere in the country, but once you choose a school for rotation r u bound to it the entire year? Or is it that you do family practice at one hospital and surgery rotation at another? I am kinda confused.

Thanks much for your help and again Good job :thumbup:

SPRJ said:
I'll be taking my step exams in a couple years...starting UMDNJ-SOM this fall. I am very new to this process and would really appreciate your help if you could answer a few questions.

Can you say GUNNER !!!!

You have a long way to go before you need to start worring about the USMLE/COMLEX or rotations!

Just have fun this summer before starting med school... then study hard to rock your first two years of classes! That's the best thing you could do right now.

carpe diem!