For DOs that matched allopathic anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluecephas

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the DOs that matched this week in Anesthesia, could you share your stats with us, specifically:

1. USMLE / COMLEX scores for Step I and II
2. Class rank
3. How many programs did you apply to?
4. How many in your ROL?
5. Did you participate in the AOA match?

These have been asked last year, and it was really helpful; so I thought I'd make a thread for this year. DOs don't have a "charting outcomes", so those who are willing to share their stats would really help us OMS-III's. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

will fill you guys in on me and my friends on thursday when I can tell y'all where we matched

1. COMLEX I: 602; COMLEX II: 583. Did not take USMLE
2. Class rank: 68/214
3. Applied to 3 programs.
4. Signed outside the match for an advanced position.
5. Did not participate in the AOA match.

Members don't see this ad :)
a friend of mine matched university of florida. comlex 500 and 520 no usmle. probably middle of class. some good extracurriculars. no research. did an icu month there and worked pretty hard. was his number 2 behind miami

I am not sure where I am going yet but I am a DO and I matched into allopathic anesthesia...as far as I know it is a categorical position. I am not sure my exacy comlex scores as the NBOME is down at the moment..I got a 220 on USMLE II I did not take USMLE I.... I am ranked 37/216 from last time the school sent out this information...I doubt that it changed as 3rd and 4th year rotations did not affect the GPA..Good luck to all I will let you know where I am tomorrow...unfortunately I get to open it up during my 12 hr ER shift tomorrow...

No offense, but what a joke. I know allopathic students who trumped those stats and didn't match. There's gotta be a law against the mass production of DOs and their ability to infiltrate allopathic positions at the expense of allopathic medical students.

No offense, but what a joke. I know allopathic students who trumped those stats and didn't match. There's gotta be a law against the mass production of DOs and their ability to infiltrate allopathic positions at the expense of allopathic medical students.

No you dont. Acutally, I don't really know if you do. However I have a hard time believing a US Allo without glaring deficiencies (Flunked classes, written up on rotations for being unprofessional, extra years in school) and a USMLE score of 210-215 would go unmatched in anesthesia. Unless, he/she was not smart and only ranked 3-4 places.

Like I said before. We DO's are a slippery bunch. Vile. Despicable. Reprehensible. We are standing next to you while you work. Breathing your air. Copulating with your opposite sex. Reproducing like the rodents we are. We are using your computer terminals. Taking up your seats at the venditeria. We are everywhere.

Oh yeah, never let the power of an audition rotation go underestimated. If you are dedicated, well read, and FUN TO WORK WITH then I don't care what your USMLE score is. You're golden....just gotta get the right people to notice ya.

Venty: Exactly.

Dude, there's little/no chance that you know people w/similar stats that didn't match, unless they were very selective in choosing where they applied/interviewed (that being their own fault).

EDIT: A different discussion entirely, but I do agree that MD applicants should be eligible for DO spots as well.

my friend who matched at u florida didn't have the best stats obviously. but he worked his *** off in their icu. he is a great guy, easy to work with. great boards don`t make up for a personality disorders. hope you m3s get the lesson from his story that aways can make all the difference

personally I think that saying DO's are a joke is very rude...as far as I see it we are at a major disadvantage in the allopathic match...no MD school is going to select a ton of DO's, there are probably 1-2 per school a year(if that). I feel that my grades are wonderful I have an A average and I did well on my boards...who knows maybe we just interview better than your friends who trumped our scores....fortunately sometimes personality wins out.

Members don't see this ad :)
i do have to agree with lush's idea that mds should be eligible for osteopathic residencies.... they should add up all the hours we spend in opp class and just make them do an intensive osteopathic experience with the same number of hours. honestly, i know i am a traitor to my osteopathic roots, but that stuff could really have been condensed without any loss of information. probably one month tops is all it would take. personally i think the distinction is silly.

No offense, but you're a douche bag. 220 is a great score; combined with a half decent personality anybody should match. Nobody wants to work with a douche no matter what their stats are. There's gotta be a law against douche bags posting on SDN.

Quit being such a hater.

guess it's not all about stats

Jay is wise beyond his years. Remind me to pat you on the back with my MRSA hands tomorrow, Jay (again, not a big fan of this "germ theory"). Unstoppable this guy.

Jay is wise beyond his years. Remind me to pat you on the back with my MRSA hands tomorrow, Jay (again, not a big fan of this "germ theory"). Unstoppable this guy.

ahhh, and the "count down" continues, see you on 6N:thumbup:

No offense, but get over yourself.

Like I said before. We DO's are a slippery bunch. Vile. Despicable. Reprehensible. We are standing next to you while you work. Breathing your air. Copulating with your opposite sex. Reproducing like the rodents we are. We are using your computer terminals. Taking up your seats at the venditeria. We are everywhere.

Thanks for the laugh man!! :laugh:

usmles 220s. don't remember comlex. top 15% of my class. some non-anesthesiology research. matched at cleveland clinic, my number one. best of luck next year.

DOs in question?

Neanderthal_2D_src.jpg

1. COMLEX 609/683, USMLE 224/251
2. Top 5% of class
3. Applied to 26 programs mostly in the NE, granted interviews at all places except the big guns (Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Sinai, MGH, Brigham, UPenn, etc.)
4. Fortunate to land interviews at BID and Hopkins. Really wanted BID, would've been thrilled to be at St. Luke's (my number 2)
5. Ended up matching at SUNY Downstate (3rd choice)
6. Bottom line: you'll match somewhere with decent scores. But most of the top programs in the NE screen out DO applicants.

thanks for that post!

1. COMLEX I- 526, no Step 1; COMLEX II- 473?? Step 2- 221
2. Middle of pack for class
3. Overapplied to 30 programs, 23 interview offers
4. Applied to 6 programs, No AOA match
No frills here
My strong point was rotating at each program. I got my first choice after busting my arse during my month there. I can't stress rotating at the programs strong enough.

1. USMLE 230/237, COMLEX 606/6242. Top 10%3. Applied to 20 programs all over the place but mostly out west. Got 10 interview invites.4. Ranked 8 places. Matched at UNM, my #1 choice5. Did not participate in the AOA match as my top choices were not AOA programs. Apply widely, rotate at places you truly want to end up at, work hard on audition rotations, and you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck next year!

EDIT: A different discussion entirely, but I do agree that MD applicants should be eligible for DO spots as well.

Heresy!!! You wouldn't know how to rib raise before induction and would therefore be unqualified to practice osteopathy.

(Did I just use the word osteopathy?)

There's gotta be a law against the mass production of DOs and their ability to infiltrate allopathic positions at the expense of allopathic medical students.

that wasn't very nice....

ancientgreeks.jpg

that deserves an image:laugh:

No offense, but you're a douche bag. 220 is a great score; combined with a half decent personality anybody should match. Nobody wants to work with a douche no matter what their stats are. There's gotta be a law against douche bags posting on SDN.

Quit being such a hater.

Nice language. Call me names if you want. In the end, you're still a DO.

No you dont. Acutally, I don't really know if you do. However I have a hard time believing a US Allo without glaring deficiencies (Flunked classes, written up on rotations for being unprofessional, extra years in school) and a USMLE score of 210-215 would go unmatched in anesthesia. Unless, he/she was not smart and only ranked 3-4 places.

Oh yeah, never let the power of an audition rotation go underestimated. If you are dedicated, well read, and FUN TO WORK WITH then I don't care what your USMLE score is. You're golden....just gotta get the right people to notice ya.

You're not the expert you think you are. You should get more of a life.

you sound like a bitter person unhappy with your life and program jealous of d.o.s that have matched better than you and your friends. your life is not our fault

you sound like a bitter person unhappy with your life and program jealous of d.o.s that have matched better than you and your friends. your life is not our fault

amyl:

this is the first time I can remember you attacking anyone. Were you waiting until postmatch?:p:p

art.starfish.jpg

nothing to do with anything, I liked the photo

no :) although the prematch anxiety and postmatch tequila has led to some serious sleep deprivation. maybe that's it. just sick of this type of b.s. I have worked hard to get here like everyone else

No one has ever heard of the amyl test? It is very accurate. Basically, if you get attitude from amyl, it means you have tested positive for being a complete tool.

I can see their anger towards DOs though. I'm sure he is an american grad with great stats, awesome letters and obviously a real people person. All set to match at a top 10 program... but then some half-wit scumbag 56 y/o DO swooped in with their 1.9 GPA, 18 MCAT and failed USMLE to steal their spot. I HATE how DOs always get preferential treatment at ACGME residencies!! :laugh:

Vent. Our bitter, unmatched friend has a strong positive amyl test... doesn't that mean he's trolled enough here??

No one has ever heard of the amyl test? It is very accurate. Basically, if you get attitude from amyl, it means you have tested positive for being a complete tool.

I can see their anger towards DOs though. I'm sure he is an american grad with great stats, awesome letters and obviously a real people person. All set to match at a top 10 program... but then some half-wit scumbag 56 y/o DO swooped in with their 1.9 GPA, 18 MCAT and failed USMLE to steal their spot. I HATE how DOs always get preferential treatment at ACGME residencies!! :laugh:

Vent. Our bitter, unmatched friend has a strong positive amyl test... doesn't that mean he's trolled enough here??

I am definitely leaning that way. A little more coaxing and I'll tip over.

However I occasionally like to let em throw a bitter sophomoric tirade to ultimately seal their fate. It may not come as soon as we'd expect because I wrote this, but It'll come. It always does.

My xbox360 broke (AGAIN) today. I blame it on his bitterness towards DOs and being ranked behind them. Is breaking my xbox not enough?

However I occasionally like to let em throw a bitter sophomoric tirade to ultimately seal their fate. It may not come as soon as we'd expect because I wrote this, but It'll come. It always does.

I am sure it is a joke. Can't we all just laugh at it? It wouldn't make sense if it wasn't a joke.

roflmfao.jpg

The rule here should be what would Jet do?
Probably something along the line of settle the crosshairs behind the left ear. Slowly squeeze the trigger while exhaling. Watch the pretty colors.
(Noc would probably insert a picture of a small exploding animal here but I won't).

So what motivation could a program possibly have for shooting themselves in the foot by selecting less-qualified people? Obviously there are additional criteria that are important to programs besides just stats.

I'm guessing it's pretty important to have a positive attitude, be punctual, hard-working, teachable, and play well with others...there aren't many ways to quantify those qualities with stats. What residency program would want to hire a MD or DO who is divisive and acrimonious but has great numbers?

Anesguy1012, I would support you in competing for DO residency spots. I spent 2 hours of lecture and 2 hours of OMM lab each week during years 1 and 2 of medical school to learn the DO voodoo. Find a way to pass some sort of equivalency exam and pave the way for your future allopath brethren into the osteopathic GME community.

Let's have more homogeny. Can't we all just get along?

i agree... today we calculated the number of hours spend in omm class and it was roughly 200h.... thats just five weeks at 40h per week...easily done to let mds into the do match. would probably better for everyone...not to mention that as a libertarian/objectivist ;-) i am for open competition....

p.s. for those of you DO future anesthesiologists my friends at NSU matched at UNC, cleveland clinic, UFlorida, Louisville...

i agree... today we calculated the number of hours spend in omm class and it was roughly 200h.... thats just five weeks at 40h per week...easily done to let mds into the do match. would probably better for everyone...not to mention that as a libertarian/objectivist ;-) i am for open competition....

p.s. for those of you DO future anesthesiologists my friends at NSU matched at UNC, cleveland clinic, UFlorida, Louisville...

Do DOs use any OMM in anesthesia????

once i have the patient on the table i use some OA decompression to balance the parasympathetics. if the patient has a h/o PONV i use some sacral inhibition to slow GI motility. if the patient has asthma or COPD rib raising to open the bronchial tree. and of course, through out the case i make the surgeon break sterility and redrape to dome the diaphragm to improve respiratory function whenever the peak airway pressures or end tidal CO2 get too high. if there is edema, pedal pump, tapotment and effleurage...the surgeons i worked with were so good they could operate on a moving target
:D

So what were MD's learning while DO's were learning the 200hrs of OMM?? Honestly, there has to be a trade off somewhere right? Just curious.

By the way, there is the issue of lots of less-than-stellar DO schools popping up all over the country with the intents of charging high tuition to lots of students rather than producing excellent physicians. There seems to be less oversight with DO schools than AMCAS accredited MD schools.

Just my 2 cents. I don't really care either way. It has been my experience that DO schools are somewhat easier than MD schools also, but that could just be the DO schools I have run into.

no :) although the prematch anxiety and postmatch tequila has led to some serious sleep deprivation. maybe that's it. just sick of this type of b.s. I have worked hard to get here like everyone else

Not hard enough or you would have gotten into an allopathic school.

Bitter, unmatched friend? I'm a third year resident. Learn who you're talking about before you gang up with your insecure friends.