For Gamers: World of Warcraft playing Docs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Funny article in NY Times today:
By SETH SCHIESEL

IRVINE, Calif., Feb. 7 - It was 4:33 p.m. Thursday, and 263,863 people were reaching through cyberspace to explore the sprawling World of Warcraft.
"You literally can see a 68-year-old doctor arguing with a 13-year-old about some obscure gameplay issue, like how paladins should be nerfed," Mr. Della Bitta said.

Rumor has it that Juan Rosai plays a Orc Shaman on a PvP server.

Members don't see this ad.

More likely it's Bernie Ackerman. Also fits with the age....

So awesome. I always thought I'd have to give up gaming once I became a real doctor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damnit LADoc00! I may have to pick this game up!

Noooo! Must resist! :mad:

AndyMilonakis said:
Damnit LADoc00! I may have to pick this game up!

Noooo! Must resist! :mad:

Nezhul Server, Horde side. WoW fits well with path residency, especially if you make an undead char. All must play!

LADoc00 said:
Nezhul Server, Horde side. WoW fits well with path residency, especially if you make an undead char. All must play!
Ahh...the undead. That's the race with which I played best in Warcraft 3.

I loved my *BONK!* triple combo (I first used the BONK term when describing the following):
Lich casts Frost Nova
Dreadlord casts Carrion Swarm
Deathknight casts Death Coil
If each spell was at level 3, that combo did some bitchin' damage!

Of course, the true *BONK!* was the Mountain King's Storm Bolt spell. I hated playing against opponents that played the human race since I'd get BONK'd quite a lot. :mad:

Depending on where I go for residency, I just MAY have enough time for WoW. :laugh: But I'm doing AP only so I don't have those cush CP months :(

FOR THE HORDE!

AndyMilonakis said:
Ahh...the undead. That's the race with which I played best in Warcraft 3.

I loved my *BONK!* triple combo (I first used the BONK term when describing the following):
Lich casts Frost Nova
Dreadlord casts Carrion Swarm
Deathknight casts Death Coil
If each spell was at level 3, that combo did some bitchin' damage!

Of course, the true *BONK!* was the Mountain King's Storm Bolt spell. I hated playing against opponents that played the human race since I'd get BONK'd quite a lot. :mad:

Depending on where I go for residency, I just MAY have enough time for WoW. :laugh: But I'm doing AP only so I don't have those cush CP months :(

FOR THE HORDE!

nerd.

I used to play Starcraft, haven't played in years though.

Mrbojangles said:
I used to play Starcraft, haven't played in years though.
I got into Starcraft much too late when people were anticipating the arrival of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. Starcraft was my introduction to the Real Time Strategy genre of games. However, everyone had a leg up on me since these people were playing since when I was in college (a few of my friends were on academic probation because of Starcraft at college). But when WCIII came out, I quickly became a diligent student of the game. My clinical grades suffered. I would ditch work on call. WCIII was my drug. Going out to the bar became my anti-drug.

Whatever happened to tic-tac-toe and computer chess???

Fermata said:
WoW blows.

$15/month?

No thanks.
Yeah...I didn't like the part where you pay on a monthly basis to play the game. Playing WCIII on battlenet was free. Andy like.

Members don't see this ad :)
Undead Priest-Burning Legion
Medicus

Greatpumpkin is my mage, but I haven't decided to level him yet.

GreatPumpkin said:
Undead Priest-Burning Legion
Medicus

Greatpumpkin is my mage, but I haven't decided to level him yet.

Priests are truly scary in pvp. Priests and Paladins, I hate them both.

EQ2, anyone?

delchrys said:
EQ2, anyone?

Got to 35 with a guardian. The grind was insane, it felt like a 2nd job. The graphics tho are incredible, runs circles around WOW. Maybe Ill be back one day, as a 5 year vet of EQ1, that addiction runs deep.

LADoc00 said:
Got to 35 with a guardian. The grind was insane, it felt like a 2nd job. The graphics tho are incredible, runs circles around WOW. Maybe Ill be back one day, as a 5 year vet of EQ1, that addiction runs deep.

eq1: 65 wizard, loved him.
eq2: 23 warden, not a lot of eq time lately, but enjoying the game for the most part.

one of my buddies in the lab just got this game. and now i hear all you yapping about it. i may have to buy WOW now... :laugh:

Don't do it. Don't get WoW. All of your free time will suddenly be sucked into you computer monitor. It's just too addictive... Must get back to it...

(PS: I'm Neuronix on Eldre'Thalas, one of the new servers)

Neuronix said:
Don't do it. Don't get WoW. All of your free time will suddenly be sucked into you computer monitor. It's just too addictive... Must get back to it...

(PS: I'm Neuronix on Eldre'Thalas, one of the new servers)

I have not picked up the game yet.

However, I am a man of addictions. For two years I was addicted to Warcraft III. I played over 3000 games and climbed into the top 50 in the Azeroth solo ladder. I travelled to attend tournaments, none of which I won :( But that was quite a pathetic time in my life. And when I gave that addiction up, that addiction was replaced by another addiction. Damn SDN is like crack yo! Soon I will have to give up addiction too. What addiction will come next? I wonder.

Now, if I do end up picking up this game, my account name will be one of the following (depending on if they are taken) in order of preference:

(1) HotSteamingTurd
(2) AngryTesticle
(3) AndyMilonakis
(4) FatKidInAThong
(5) JiN-c0ckmaster

bananaface said:
I veto #4. :rolleyes:

I am now addicted to cleaning and organizing. Don't believe me? Come see my apartment. Some OCD freak is going to walk in, throw himself on the floor, and propose. I'm that hardcore.

Oooh I love a clean apartment!

I still like playing Starcraft scenarios - it always gets sticky when some young whippersnapper says, "A/S/L? How old are you?" At one time I told them (lying) "I'm in college." When they said "daaaaaaaaamn you're OLD!" I decided to henceforth ignore all such questions! :laugh:

C'mon, old people like to have fun too!!!!

Fermata said:
WoW blows.

$15/month?

No thanks.

I've never been a fan of having to pay a monthly fee to play a game on top of paying for the game itself. Plus, I know I'll get sucked in so badly that my residency and possibly my marriage will suffer. I have enough trouble with non-MMO games as it is.

If ya'll like RTS games, you should definately check out Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. Great graphics, excellent gameplay and environment.

Wait! So you're telling me my husband, I mean "MR NoNo Dog" has to ***pay*** every month for World of Doom???? (yes, I know the real name... I refuse to acknowledge it properly, though.)

I don't mind that he is playing, or that he is paying for it. Just don't whine about my shopping bills. (Which, by the way, always register in the "low maintenance woman" range!!!)

If you are on the same server as Mr NoNo Dog you might want to warn him that the shoe queen is on to him.........

PairODocs said:
Wait! So you're telling me my husband, I mean "MR NoNo Dog" has to ***pay*** every month for World of Doom???? (yes, I know the real name... I refuse to acknowledge it properly, though.)

I don't mind that he is playing, or that he is paying for it. Just don't whine about my shopping bills. (Which, by the way, always register in the "low maintenance woman" range!!!)

If you are on the same server as Mr NoNo Dog you might want to warn him that the shoe queen is on to him.........
OooooooOOOOoooohhhh! Bust-ed! :laugh:

PairODocs said:

Uh-oh...*cringes*

PairODocs said:

Ok, I'll make a deal with you on behalf of your husband. You can spend $15/mo on shoes in exchange for the $15/mo he spends on WoW. That amounts to... Payless? :laugh:

Neuronix said:
Ok, I'll make a deal with you on behalf of your husband. You can spend $15/mo on shoes in exchange for the $15/mo he spends on WoW. That amounts to... Payless? :laugh:

Oh, that is just cruel.... now what about the "upgrades" we got on the fairly new computer, or the new monitor? I think we might be heading to Nordstrom's pretty soon.... :cool:

I need to go now..... apparently we are questing in Uldaman.... Suramar server.... gotta go!

ps why does the ugly blue chick (night elf) on WoW have big boobs? Who thinks of putting good breasts on such an ugly beast? Weird!

PairODocs said:
I need to go now..... apparently we are questing in Uldaman.... Suramar server.... gotta go!

ps why does the ugly blue chick (night elf) on WoW have big boobs? Who thinks of putting good breasts on such an ugly beast? Weird!
cuz she had big boobs in warcraft 3, that's why.

AndyMilonakis said:
And when I gave that addiction up, that addiction was replaced by another addiction. Damn SDN is like crack yo! Soon I will have to give up addiction too. What addiction will come next? I wonder.

AndyM - you must never leave us!! Do not even speak of this! :smuggrin:

All the cool kids are doing it, anyway. :D

AndyMilonakis said:
cuz she had big boobs in warcraft 3, that's why.

Good to know they have not been altered, then.

beary said:
AndyM - you must never leave us!! Do not even speak of this! :smuggrin:

All the cool kids are doing it, anyway. :D
ok ok sorry mommy. i won't do it again.