For girls, what shoes do you recommend for internal medicine residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dove 1980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am starting shopping and I was wondering what are the best shoes to wear as resident, with scrubs or with professional attire?:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wear Sanita clogs. I find them very comfortable.
Sanitas are the "original Danish clogs" - what used to be sold as Danskos.
The Dansko company lost the right to sell the clogs and therefore what is now sold as a Dansko is different than it was a few years ago.

Clarks or my favorite
Joseph Siebel brand (the European comfort shoe) - they will cost $100+ but are worth it.
IMHO Dansko's suck...they can fall/slip off, not good if you need to run through hallways, and they weight a ton. But I know a lot of nurses and others who like them.

I like Clarks for clinic and rounds and wear tennis shoes if I'll be in scrubs. I finally got a pair of Dansko's since the nurses swear by them, but they are just hard, heavy and uncomfortable. By the end of the day my feet ache.

Don't forget Danskos/Clogs/Crocs look like complete garbage. I tried to tell the EM folks this but they don't get style.

Danskos for when you don't care, flats for when you do. Some people wear Toms.

Merrell. They have clog/mule styles that go well with scrubs, and flats/Mary Jane styles that work with clinic attire. I got my first pair as an MS3 and won't even consider any other brands now.

+1 for merrell. And I have a pair of keen mary janes I wear a lot.
I also own a couple of pairs of naturalista clogs (made in Spain). They are great for standing on your feet for long hours, clogs aren't great for running from one end of the hospital to the other, though.

"crocs, the universal symbol of men who have given up hope"

sperry top-siders for scrubs, pumas/converse/other retro looking sneakers are also acceptable, maybe toms...

cute flats for all other days--banana republic probably has the most comfortable ones, and ivanka trump's are classy, but I've also had success w/ bcbg, jcrew, nine west, urban outfitters and topshop. In med school I had the most amazing pair of Loeffler Randall for Target flats that I wore down to the bone and I've seriously considered starting a petition for them to reissue them.

Oh, and don't forget a great pair of flat boots for the colder months.

Dansko's should be banned.

I agree on sanita. Also look at tsubo for clinic shoes-- they have rubber soled ones that don't click. Hours and hours of rounding don't seem to go well with clicky shoes.

I had fun shoe shopping on my 3month medicine rotation :) Jambu (sp?) is another comfy option, but lots of them are a little ugly.

I'm a dude, but I tried everything for floor work... and nothing beats tennis shoes.

I wear nothing but Nike running shoes but recently got some Merrel's. Mine get dirty a lot though... bodily fluids so I have to change them out. I work in the ED though. Just get something you like and if you're going to be around blood and all types of other stuff, make sure they are splash proof or just wash them a lot.

Just get whatever is comfortable. You're going to be on your feet a lot. Who cares what they look like, but I'm a guy...

leather chucks
converse-addict-chuck-taylor-holiday-2011.jpg

they are extremely comfortable and I do wear them to work from time to time

What about closed toe Birkenstocks? Very popular in clinics in Europe. Are they worn much in the US?

What about closed toe Birkenstocks? Very popular in clinics in Europe. Are they worn much in the US?

I too have seen them but I would not consider them "very popular". I suppose it depends on specialty and program culture.

As an aside, wearing closed toe Birkenstocks with mid-calf length socks and shorts is also popular in Europe and is a telltale sign of German tourists when traveling.

As an aside, wearing closed toe Birkenstocks with mid-calf length socks and shorts is also popular in Europe and is a telltale sign of German tourists when traveling.

:laugh:
Closed or open/between the toe. Yes, and such a niche.

dont get all fashionista and wear heels or flats, be practical was my motto

merrels, and sneakers worked on call days and leather loafers worked on others