Program Director while a hospitalist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mido114

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking back at older posts, I couldn't find an answer to my question. Are there any IM Program directors who are also working as hospitalists ? if so, what are the ways to manage the at least 50% FTE protected time as PD with a 7on/7off hospitalist job model ? how can one keep some clinical activity while not doing the 7on/7off model ?
I know many IM PDs who work only in the outpatient setting making protected time easier to manage than being a hospitalist.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking back at older posts, I couldn't find an answer to my question. Are there any IM Program directors who are also working as hospitalists ? if so, what are the ways to manage the at least 50% FTE protected time as PD with a 7on/7off hospitalist job model ? how can one keep some clinical activity while not doing the 7on/7off model ?
I know many IM PDs who work only in the outpatient setting making protected time easier to manage than being a hospitalist.
If you have a 0.5 administrative FTE, by definition you have a 0.5 clinical FTE. So you're only going to be doing half the inpatient (or clinic) time that others with a 1.0 cFTE have. So the job would like like 7 on/21 off when considering clinical time, but is in reality 7 on/28 on.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm peds, but I've seen multiple peds PDs who are hospitalists. It actually works pretty well overall because they get a lot of face time with the residents. They just do less overall service time than the other faculty members, and rely on their APDs when they're on service.

Reactions: 1 user