For Hopkins MSTPers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chef

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that last yr one of the MSTPers at Hopkins committed suicide.. is this true? He was working with J.Nathans or something. If true, do you know why? That is truly sad.. such a brilliant young mind had to leave us so early :(

also, what is the avg time for hopkins msts to complete the PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

>I heard that last yr one of the MSTPers at Hopkins committed >suicide.. is this true? He was working with J.Nathans or >something. If true, do you know why? That is truly sad.. such a >brilliant young mind had to leave us so early

Hi. I am new to the forum... but an undergrad at Hopkins. I didn't hear anything about the suicide and just recently searched the archives of the newspaper. Unless I was completely self-absorbed at the time, I think I would have heard of such a thing. Hopkins does a pretty good job at keeping attempted suicides under wraps, but the students typically hear about student deaths. So, for now, I am assuming this is a rumor. However, from the undergraduate institution's viewpt, this rumor is a commentary on the intensity of this place.

>also, what is the avg time for hopkins msts to complete the PhD?
TOO LONG... TOO LONG!! No, really, it depends on the dept. When you guys interview at JHSOM, you will meet with MSTP students.... listen to them. They have an invaluable perspective.

So, anyway, if any of you are at Hopkins and want a break from the interview crunch, I am down in lovely East Baltimore everyday and would be happy to meet. And, as we say at Hopkins, I am not trying to throat you with my ops.... one top school is missing from my list of apps.... which could it be?? This is partly due to the fact I just want a change... partly due to other reasons.

Good luck, everyone!!

Hey giverny, welcome to the boards.

Are you an MSTP applicant? MD?

A bunch of us will be at JHU over the next few weeks. We're ready for a beating...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm.... I havent heard anything about this. I would have thought that if this were true I would have heard of it by now, unless my upper level MSTP comrades are purposefully keeping it quiet.

The average time for PhDs at Hopkins MSTP is 7-8 years, the same as the average for most MD/PhD programs.

I graduated from Hopkins MD-PhD program in 2001. Yes, there was a suicide that year. It was shocking for all of us.

The individual was an incredibly bright, smart and talented young man. He worked for Jeremy Nathans and was doing quite well. I believe the events that lead to the suicide were due to personal reasons rather than academic stress. The people who knew him well were very shocked.