For Optometry Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

undetermine

Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
(this is my first thread/post, so if there is anything is wrong I apologize beforehand)

I am currently in high school and plan to be an optometrist. I am confused; colleges list "pre-med" as one of the majors, but isn't it more of a "pre-professional track"? Also, would you recommend majoring in bio or chem for optometry? Lastly, what did you major in?

Thank you for reading and I hope you have a great day!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not in optometry school yet but I can answer some questions. I have never heard of a pre-med major but pre-med is a thing yes. When someone is premed they are aiming towards med school and are taking the classes that fulfill med school requirements. All professional schools have their own requirements.

I would recommend majoring in biology as it allows you to knockout a majority of the requirements for optometry school while fulfilling your major requirements, such as physiology, and I'm sure it would be more useful for optometry school. Of course you can do chemistry if you really wanted to :)

And I'm a physiology/neuroscience major. Attending opto this fall :)

I'm not in optometry school yet but I can answer some questions. I have never heard of a pre-med major but pre-med is a thing yes. When someone is premed they are aiming towards med school and are taking the classes that fulfill med school requirements. All professional schools have their own requirements.

I would recommend majoring in biology as it allows you to knockout a majority of the requirements for optometry school while fulfilling your major requirements, such as physiology, and I'm sure it would be more useful for optometry school. Of course you can do chemistry if you really wanted to :)

And I'm a physiology/neuroscience major. Attending opto this fall :)

So I don't have to take the premed track to get into opto school! That's a relief! :) I heard the premed route is hard. You don't have to major in bio to get into optp school bc all they care about is the pre-reqs, right?

Congrats on getting into opto school! I wish you all the best!! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
So I don't have to take the premed track to get into opto school! That's a relief! :) I heard the premed route is hard. You don't have to major in bio to get into optp school bc all they care about is the pre-reqs, right?

Congrats on getting into opto school! I wish you all the best!! :clap:

Thank you!!! Health professional schools, including med school, don't require a major. All that matters is that you take the prerequisite course like you said. It's just usually more convenient to be a bio major and most students are already interested in biology.

The premed prereqs is very similar to the pre-opt prereqs. However, med schools require (or prefer?) a year of ochem while optometry schools require anatomy, etc etc etc. So there are some minor differences.

Good luck on whatever path you choose :)

Thank you!!! Health professional schools, including med school, don't require a major. All that matters is that you take the prerequisite course like you said. It's just usually more convenient to be a bio major and most students are already interested in biology.

The premed prereqs is very similar to the pre-opt prereqs. However, med schools require (or prefer?) a year of ochem while optometry schools require anatomy, etc etc etc. So there are some minor differences.

Thank you! Ditto to you too!

Both medical school and Optometry school require O-chem and anatomy. In fact, the prerequisites for both programs are almost identical. It doesn't matter what you major in, you just have to take the required classes. I would suggest majoring in something you are interested in. At this point, I think majoring in business would have been a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Both medical school and Optometry school require O-chem and anatomy. In fact, the prerequisites for both programs are almost identical. It doesn't matter what you major in, you just have to take the required classes. I would suggest majoring in something you are interested in. At this point, I think majoring in business would have been a good idea.

Hi, from what I have heard from people that drop the med route was mainly because of o-chem. What is difficult about that class that causes students to drop it?

And, if you majored in business, doesn't that mean you have to take classes for both pre-reqs for med school AND classes to complete your major?

1. Organic chemistry is difficult. Chemistry as a whole is difficult. I majored in Biochemistry, and I took 8 courses (general, organic, physical) in chemistry outside of the subfield of biochemistry and I'm still clueless about the quantitative and qualitative aspects of chemistry if it's not related to cellular macromolecules. Luckily aside from the OAT, you won't be using any real chemistry in optometry school. The labeled "biochemistry" course was simply limited to metabolic cycles and cellular macromolecules - highschool stuff. No calculations.

2. You can major in whatever you want. You are correct in your statement. I would imagine that if you satisfy the pre-reqs for health professional school, you would probably be 50% done with your major's course requirements (disregarding GE requirements).

Organic chemistry is like learning a new language. That's what makes it difficult. The mechanisms get complicated and there are so many reactions/rules to memorize/understand. Any background knowledge you may have from gen Chem is pretty much (almost) useless.

Hi, from what I have heard from people that drop the med route was mainly because of o-chem. What is difficult about that class that causes students to drop it?

And, if you majored in business, doesn't that mean you have to take classes for both pre-reqs for med school AND classes to complete your major?

Yes, it would probably take you longer to graduate, which is why I didn't go that route. I took the shortest way, which was exercise physiology, because I was half-way done with undergrad when I decided on Optometry. Starting from the beginning, I would have majored in something non-science related, and just taken the prereqs on the side. I'm often surprised by pre-opts thinking that science majors make them look more competetive.

Organic chemistry is like learning a new language. That's what makes it difficult. The mechanisms get complicated and there are so many reactions/rules to memorize/understand. Any background knowledge you may have from gen Chem is pretty much (almost) useless.

Wow, that sounds really intense.

Yes, it would probably take you longer to graduate, which is why I didn't go that route. I took the shortest way, which was exercise physiology, because I was half-way done with undergrad when I decided on Optometry. Starting from the beginning, I would have majored in something non-science related, and just taken the prereqs on the side. I'm often surprised by pre-opts thinking that science majors make them look more competetive.

Yeah, I don't think your major effects your chance of getting into med school b/c all that matters is the pre reqs. Do you know why people double major or have a minor? What are the benefits having them?

Honestly, I don't want to major in bio because I did not enjoy bio at all, so I'm probably not going to major in that even though many premed student do.

I would consider doing a Public Health major if you are wanting to knock off pre-reqs for optometry school while getting your degree. Classes are not too difficult and can be interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would consider doing a Public Health major if you are wanting to knock off pre-reqs for optometry school while getting your degree. Classes are not too difficult and can be interesting.

That is a cool suggestion! I'll definitely look into Public Health. Is that what you majored in?

That is a cool suggestion! I'll definitely look into Public Health. Is that what you majored in?
Yep. I did the Health Science emphasis of Public Health. I felt like it did a really good job in preparing me for the OAT and will probably be useful in my profession down the road. Some classes that I took for my major that were very interesting: Infectious Diseases, Chronic Disease Prevention, Clinical Trials, Epidemiology, Genetics, Health Promotion, Anatomy. There weren't really any classes that I hated. Obviously some of the pre-req stuff for optometry can be painful to get through, but I really enjoyed my major. If you aren't 100% sure on doing something in the professional health field (optometry, dental, med, etc), I would look into the career options of whatever major you choose first. Public Health is a great major for health pre-professional stuff but if you're wanting to make a doctor's salary without being a doctor, Public Health isn't the right major.

Yeah, I don't think your major effects your chance of getting into med school b/c all that matters is the pre reqs. Do you know why people double major or have a minor? What are the benefits having them?

Honestly, I don't want to major in bio because I did not enjoy bio at all, so I'm probably not going to major in that even though many premed student do.

If anything, having a non-science major may even increase your chances. Some universities require a minor of some kind, or the major doesn't have enough credits. I did "clusters" at my undergrad, which were like mini-minors that I could customize, so I just shoved my pre-req's into those so I could graduate quickly. If I had chosen Optometry from day one, I might have majored in either Spanish or History.

Yep. I did the Health Science emphasis of Public Health. I felt like it did a really good job in preparing me for the OAT and will probably be useful in my profession down the road. Some classes that I took for my major that were very interesting: Infectious Diseases, Chronic Disease Prevention, Clinical Trials, Epidemiology, Genetics, Health Promotion, Anatomy. There weren't really any classes that I hated. Obviously some of the pre-req stuff for optometry can be painful to get through, but I really enjoyed my major. If you aren't 100% sure on doing something in the professional health field (optometry, dental, med, etc), I would look into the career options of whatever major you choose first. Public Health is a great major for health pre-professional stuff but if you're wanting to make a doctor's salary without being a doctor, Public Health isn't the right major.

Why is Public Health not helpful to a doctor? (just out of curiousity)

Why is Public Health not helpful to a doctor? (just out of curiousity)
I think you may have misread my post. I think it was a great major and I believe it was helpful for both my preparation for optometry school and for my future career as an optometrist.

I think you may have misread my post. I think it was a great major and I believe it was helpful for both my preparation for optometry school and for my future career as an optometrist.

Oh yes I did. I'm sorry!

I just finished my sophomore year as a Business major,and I would like to say in the beginning I def had my doubts about if I would be able to pull it off or not, but now I am very happy with my choice!

I came into college knowing I wanted to be an optometrist. I loved bio, but I was scared that if ended up not being smart enough to get into optometry school I would only have a bio major. I didn't really know of anything I could do with just a bio major besides for research and that idea sounded awful to me. I didn't really know of public health majors before college which is why I never considered it, and during my first semester in college when I considered changing my major I still didnt consider public health much because at my university it is not as competitive or as well known of a program as the business program. I chose against chemistry because like bio I didnt know what I would do with a chem major after graduation that I would actually enjoy without further education, and in addition to that, during my first semester of gen chem (freshmen year) I learned I hated chem and was also not all that good at it.

The reason I chose a business degree was because I want to open my own practice and feel it will be beneficial to have a business background when I go to do that. There have been MANY people who have flat out told me this is a stupid idea because all most all optometrists dont have a business background at all and run a practice without much trouble! This is true. On the other hand though, many people who work in the field have told me otherwise. Last summer I worked at an optometrist office and the doctor needed A LOT of help on the business end because he was too wrapped up with patients to try to figure certain things out. I am confident after shadowing 3 doctors who own their own private practice, that having a background in business will allow me to run my practice better. Personally, I feel like knowledge in business would be beneficial to everyone regardless of their field of study. Everyone needs to know how to pay taxes, general information about investing, the economy, and management. I would definitely recommend a minor to everyone!

It has been difficult because as mentioned by someone before, I have to complete all my classes for my major and then in addition, I have to complete all the pre optometry prerequisites. Unlike Bio, or Chemistry majors, very few of the classes required for my business major overlapped with the pre optometry prerequisites. Due to this I have had to take Physics 1 and 2, along with one bio class over the summer in order to graduate in four years. I have actually found this to be beneficial because I have taken Physics 1 and 2 at a community college and it has been much easier than at my university thus serving as a GPA boost. I have had to take heavy course loads especially because my university has a very rigorous business program but I dont regret it. I have talked to many deans and people who work in admissions at optometry schools and they have said either that they like to see diversity, or that they dont care what major students choose as long as their overall GPA is similar to their GPA of their prerequisites. One has even told me like have admitted a student who majored in a music related major and it added diversity to their incoming class!

Overall I would say, major in something you like and are interested in, you will do better in you classes. Of course it will be beneficial if it relates somehow to what you want to do in your future. Regardless of what it is, with planning and hard work is possible! I will be graduating in 4 years, and am even planning on taking the OAT before starting my junior year. Sorry this got long but hope my thought processes and experience thus far can help you! :)

I just finished my sophomore year as a Business major,and I would like to say in the beginning I def had my doubts about if I would be able to pull it off or not, but now I am very happy with my choice!

I came into college knowing I wanted to be an optometrist. I loved bio, but I was scared that if ended up not being smart enough to get into optometry school I would only have a bio major. I didn't really know of anything I could do with just a bio major besides for research and that idea sounded awful to me. I didn't really know of public health majors before college which is why I never considered it, and during my first semester in college when I considered changing my major I still didnt consider public health much because at my university it is not as competitive or as well known of a program as the business program. I chose against chemistry because like bio I didnt know what I would do with a chem major after graduation that I would actually enjoy without further education, and in addition to that, during my first semester of gen chem (freshmen year) I learned I hated chem and was also not all that good at it.

The reason I chose a business degree was because I want to open my own practice and feel it will be beneficial to have a business background when I go to do that. There have been MANY people who have flat out told me this is a stupid idea because all most all optometrists dont have a business background at all and run a practice without much trouble! This is true. On the other hand though, many people who work in the field have told me otherwise. Last summer I worked at an optometrist office and the doctor needed A LOT of help on the business end because he was too wrapped up with patients to try to figure certain things out. I am confident after shadowing 3 doctors who own their own private practice, that having a background in business will allow me to run my practice better. Personally, I feel like knowledge in business would be beneficial to everyone regardless of their field of study. Everyone needs to know how to pay taxes, general information about investing, the economy, and management. I would definitely recommend a minor to everyone!

It has been difficult because as mentioned by someone before, I have to complete all my classes for my major and then in addition, I have to complete all the pre optometry prerequisites. Unlike Bio, or Chemistry majors, very few of the classes required for my business major overlapped with the pre optometry prerequisites. Due to this I have had to take Physics 1 and 2, along with one bio class over the summer in order to graduate in four years. I have actually found this to be beneficial because I have taken Physics 1 and 2 at a community college and it has been much easier than at my university thus serving as a GPA boost. I have had to take heavy course loads especially because my university has a very rigorous business program but I dont regret it. I have talked to many deans and people who work in admissions at optometry schools and they have said either that they like to see diversity, or that they dont care what major students choose as long as their overall GPA is similar to their GPA of their prerequisites. One has even told me like have admitted a student who majored in a music related major and it added diversity to their incoming class!

Overall I would say, major in something you like and are interested in, you will do better in you classes. Of course it will be beneficial if it relates somehow to what you want to do in your future. Regardless of what it is, with planning and hard work is possible! I will be graduating in 4 years, and am even planning on taking the OAT before starting my junior year. Sorry this got long but hope my thought processes and experience thus far can help you! :)

Hi! Thanks for posting this :) It was really helpful! I don't plan to open up my own practice, but I completely agree on the tax and management aspect. I hope I find a university/college with lots of majors options for me to decide~

Anyways, good luck with your OATs test and thanks for replying !! :)

Hi! Thanks for posting this :) It was really helpful! I don't plan to open up my own practice, but I completely agree on the tax and management aspect. I hope I find a university/college with lots of majors options for me to decide~

Anyways, good luck with your OATs test and thanks for replying !! :)
Thank you! Good luck to you!

Like others mentioned, completing the pre-requisite classes is the only requirement for applying to optometry school.
You'll find a wide variety of majors in optometry/dental/med school, but biology/chemistry will be the dominant undergrad degree.
A few words of caution about majoring in a non-science program:
  • It will make taking the OAT more difficult. The test is entirely science-based questions & less coursework will make it tougher-->lower score.
  • Some schools will view a non-science degree as an attempt to boost your GPA & it may be considered by the admissions team.
  • It will make optometry school tougher since you'll have a weaker science background.
I'm the pre-opt advisor for a local university & my general advice is to:
  • go biology for a major
  • psychology & chemistry are good minors
  • pack the pre-requisite courses into the first 2 1/2-3 years (before taking OAT)
  • Senior year: finish degree coursework & take electives that interest you/may be helpful later (finance/marketing). A semester/summer abroad if you can swing it.
Lots of exceptions, especially when you decide late to go pre-optometry, but this has been a proven game plan for the kids I've advised over the years.