For People that have taken a review course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elysium

Not Really An Old Beaver
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this might have been already asked ad infinitium, but I thought I would pose a different kind of question:

How much did you guys improve from your 1st disgnostic test to the real thing?

What do you think is an average increase in each section?

Just so you know, I just took TPR diagnostic 481 and made:

9V, 6BS, and 4PS. I know how crappy these sciences are, but I'm hoping that actually studying before the test might help!

P.S. I loathe G. Chem and Physics.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the hardest to pull up is verbal so you are good there. Yeah definatley don't freak you can pull up your scores a ton. I hate Gen Chem and phsyics also. I can't remember what I got on my first exam so I guess I can't really answer your question but I am certain you will be fine if you study, study, study!!! Good luck.

Hey TEDillard,

I took TPR before taking the exam for the first time this August. If I remember correctly I think my first set of scores was V-7,P-7,B-10 on diagnostic 481. So like you I was lacking in two areas and better in another. In all honesty, the best sections to not do so great on are the sciences because I think that all the review courses (especially TPR) really do a tremendous job of preparing you for the science sections, so I wouldn't fret too much. Getting a 9 on your first verbal diagnostic is really impressive, especially considering that it's harder than the verbal on the actual thing. In August my scores on the real thing were 10-V 10-P 11-B.

I think that the average score increase is like 2-3 points on each section, but remember this is an AVERAGE so you could definately be well above this. You can definately do it! Just do ALL of the assigned homework and work at it, it will come. I know it sucks now, but it really will work out well if you study hard enough. Take care and let me know how it goes. PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck! Ciao.

Members don't see this ad :)
TPR 481 is horse****. It's a ridiculously hard test that they give you so they can adverstise that they raise "average" scores by some asinine amount. The last couple of diags that they give you are much better indicators of your real score.

TPR also has a "guarantee" about raising your score (something like 8 points), so it is in their best interest to crush you on the first exam, thus helping to "raise" your score on the actual MCAT.

My personal experience with TPR is that the classes are a colossal waste of time, but the materials that they give you are great. You'll get MUCH more for your money if you spend the 3 hours that you'd be in their class at night in the library instead with the books and passages that you get. If you're stuck on a concept go ask a professor or grad TA, not the TPR instructors.

I got something like a 20 on the first Kaplan diagnostic test. Then on the other full length practice tests my scores went from about 30-36. On the real thing I scored 11V 12P 14B which ended up being better than I had ever done in practice (and better than I was ever hoping for). So I guess having practice tests that are harder than the actual MCAT works out well.

I got like a 16 on TPR 1. Like Homer said it's a ridiculously hard exam. It's made that way so that people enroll in their course out of fear for failing the MCAT. If you work hard you'll do good. If you slack off you won't. It's that simple. I put in around 8-10 hrs per day for like 4 months. I ended up with all double digits...so it's possible.