for people who couples matched

Started by villa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

villa

all thrilla, no filla
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anyone currently in peds residency who couples matched, would you mind sharing how far down on your list you and your partner matched?
I know this may be a sensitive topic and that it is dependent on the other person's field, but I'd appreciate any responses to get a general idea/average.
Also, how long was your list?

Thanks in advance 🙂
 
For anyone currently in peds residency who couples matched, would you mind sharing how far down on your list you and your partner matched?
I know this may be a sensitive topic and that it is dependent on the other person's field, but I'd appreciate any responses to get a general idea/average.
Also, how long was your list?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Hey Villa,

I'm not in residency yet, but I know of various couples that have gotten anywhere from their top choice in same city, last choice in same city, or unfortunately, matched/scrambled into different cities. It really depends on the particular applicant (and also MDvs.DOvs.IMG), the competitiveness of the specialties, and the desirability of the program/location.

(Success stories: Most IM-Peds couples seemed to have matched into their first few choices, and I know of a Rad-Peds couple that got their #1choice. More miraculously, I know a Derm-Derm couple and a few IMG couples that matched into the same city, too.

On the other hand, I know of a Peds-Surg couple that got their last choice in same city...Another Peds-Surg couple and Derm-Ophtho couple that ended up in different cities.)

I have heard anywhere from 10-300+ combinations on the final ROL.
 
thanks, drbetty!

so many variables! i guess all such questions will be moot in less than two weeks, but i do appreciate your response 🙂