For people who matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utlonghorn50

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if people who matched in anesthesiology this year would post their Step 1 and 2 scores. I thought it would be helpful for those of us who are considering applying in the future to know how competitive it was this year.

Members don't see this ad.

i don't mind posting my numbers, but i think it may be more informative for future generations to see where we matched as well. so i'm going to hold off until tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
Skrubz that sounds great. I think that would be very helpful for those of us who are considering anesthesiology.

Ok, as promised, I'm back. I matched into anesthesia at Stanford, and prelim medicine at Santa Clara Valley. My board scores were 252/99 for Step 1 and 249/99 for Step 2. I think I recall Stanford saying that the average Step 1 for either the CA-1 class starting this July or that matched last year was 230.

Holy shizz skrubz, good stuff. Congrats everyone. Keep posting scores and match results if you'd be so kind...

not as impressive as skrubz.......238/96 on step 1. no step 2 yet. Matched at MGH for anesthesiology. Lenox Hill hospital in nyc for prelim-medicine.

223/91 Step 1 and a 228/93 Step 2

Matched Categorical at University of Kentucky
Stupidity is the devil. Look in the eye of a chicken and you'll know. It's the most horrifying, cannibalistic, and nightmarish creature in this world.
- Werner Herzog

MGH for anesthesia
Mt. Sinai preliminary surgery

257/99 step 1, 258/99 step 2

step i 234/95
step ii 231/94

prelim med flushing gen hosp
anesthesia einstein (no. 9)

i guess being fmg mean being a f*****d medical graduate
:confused:

Osteopathic school- AZCOM
USMLE step I = 227/92
USMLE step II = taking this month.
COMLEX step I = 96%
COMLEX step II = 92%.
13 interviews (too many), turned down many, dissed by U of Chicago.

Matched #4 spot (RUSH)....a little suprised, but its probably for the best. Being a city boy, the prospect of living in Iowa City was giving me reflux...thats all over now. Glad to be back in shy town.

For posterity's sake:

Step 1: 238/96
Step 2: 231/94

(but my preclinical grades sucked ass)

Anesthesia: Columbia
Prelim: UMDNJ-RWJ

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently a PGY-2 at the University of Hawaii in Internal Medicine. Will be board certified prior to starting residency

Step 1 - 213/87
Step 2 - 236/93

Matched at my number one choice, University of Miami.

Step 1 = 214
Step 2 = 240 (this is what got my foot in the door after that poor ass showing on step 1)
Grades= Top 1/2 of usmd class with honors in 4th year anes and pain rotations.
Letters= great letters from chairman, pd and director of pain program

matched at musc, #1 choice

MGH for anesthesia
Mt. Sinai preliminary surgery

257/99 step 1, 258/99 step 2

Sounds like the people responding to this thread do not represent the average scores of most applicants. I'd think that if your scores are >200 and you are a US grad, or >210 or so if you are a foreign grad you won't have problems landing a spot at a decent program.

step 1: 231/94
step 2: 223/90

Anesthesia: Johns Hopkins
Prelim medicine: Lutheran General (Park Ridge, IL)

I am very impressed at the board scores of the MGH and USCF guys.

Originally posted by dbiddy808
Sounds like the people responding to this thread do not represent the average scores of most applicants. I'd think that if your scores are >200 and you are a US grad, or >210 or so if you are a foreign grad you won't have problems landing a spot at a decent program.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm starting to think that my 225 on Step 1, healthy mix of Pass and Honors during the first two years and my average of high pass for 3rd year aren't going to be enough. :(

Will some more people who got more average scores post? I'm starting to get scared. :scared:

BTW, congratulations to ALL of you. I can't wait for next March. :clap:

Originally posted by spacetygrss
I was thinking the same thing. I'm starting to think that my 225 on Step 1, healthy mix of Pass and Honors during the first two years and my average of high pass for 3rd year aren't going to be enough. :(

Will some more people who got more average scores post? I'm starting to get scared. :scared:

Relax. You will do just fine with those stats. I interviewed at tons of top programs, and matched Columbia with a 229 step 1, mostly C's my first year, mostly B's my second, and all B's except a C in pediatrics my third year. I had great written evaluations and letters that drew comments from all my interviewers. I did a little research during my second year, with a publication currently in submission, as well as a case report in submission from one of my anesthesiology rotations. I had a letter from a bioethicist, and an interesting personal project in medicine that drew a lot of interest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by spacetygrss
I was thinking the same thing. I'm starting to think that my 225 on Step 1, healthy mix of Pass and Honors during the first two years and my average of high pass for 3rd year aren't going to be enough.

Will some more people who got more average scores post? I'm starting to get scared.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:

Well I don't think you need a 250+ like some of these people, their scores are incredible. A lot of places used cut-offs in the 215-200 range though so if you only have a 200 on step 1 you should take step 2 and do better. Of course some lesser programs will interview people below this range. Or you could always take a chance in the scramble. I know people who scrambled into good places this year. But these were also good people who didn't match anywhere. Anyway there is a lot of hype but everyone should take the extra effort to improve their app any way they can.

Originally posted by powermd
Relax. You will do just fine with those stats. I interviewed at tons of top programs, and matched Columbia with a 229 step 1, mostly C's my first year, mostly B's my second, and all B's except a C in pediatrics my third year. I had great written evaluations and letters that drew comments from all my interviewers. I did a little research during my second year, with a publication currently in submission, as well as a case report in submission from one of my anesthesiology rotations. I had a letter from a bioethicist, and an interesting personal project in medicine that drew a lot of interest.

Thanks for the encouragement! Did you take Step 2 early or did your step 1 score and other stuff do the trick for you? Like I said, I scores a 225;I also have some extra-curricular stuff, including a Dean's Summer Fellowship. I was going to put step 2 off until December or so, but I'm not sure.

TIA

Currently doing a surgical prelim-didnt match but interested in anesthesia so will continue scrambling until another year of residency begins. Took notice of many of the board scores posted and I perhaps shouldve studied more and less jac**ng off.
Anyways to all the brainiac maniacs who got wonderful spots-God Bless and hope some day to practice along and make great fortunes with you all.
Take care
Bliss
:cool:
BTW if anyone ahs advice on persuing open spots feel free to let me know-thanx

I've been reading this thread and noting all the high board scores and grades! I thought I'd put up a post from an extremely "average" student who did fine in the match - give all those other upcoming 4th years who want Anesthesia some hope! Step1-195/Step2-224 (My Step2 score wasn't back until late Dec so it wasn't a factor with getting the interviews, just with the ranking process). ALL Pass grades in 1st and 2nd years. Mostly High Pass in 3rd year with a few Passes mixed in. Honors in the first 2 blocks of 4th year (no grades after that were back in time for consideration). I applied to 18 Anesthesia programs and got 8 interviews. I ranked 7 of those 8 and landed my 2nd choice at UVermont - for which I am thrilled! Granted, I did not apply to the big name programs like Hopkins, Sinai, etc. But I did lots of reading about the programs and applied to smaller programs with good reputations (with the help of my mentor, an ologist who knew ALL the programs well). I got interviews at Maine, Vermont, Tufts-NEMC, Univ Pitt, St E's in Boston, UMASS, Temple. Some of these programs were absolute gems! The truth is, you will get a good Anesthesia education no matter where you go (just about), there are very few 'malignant' programs and they're easy to spot, but you have to find what is most important to you; size, research, name, environment, area, etc. If you want a 'name' school, you WILL need the high grades, if thats not as important then you can go just about anywhere. I am in school in PA and did undergrad in Boston. I applied to some west coast programs and was shot down right away, and all 8 of my interviews were PA or New England. I attribute my results to the fact that I had great letters of recommendation (1 from chief of surg, 1 from chief of OB/Gyn, and 1 from Chief of Anesthesia at my school who was very well known in the industry - I really spent time trying to work with each of them so they could get to know me well and write meaningful and personal letters - I KNOW this made a difference because the PD's mentioned it in almost every interview). I noticed all the PD's know each other in this industry and if you can find a mentor in Anesthesia who has published a few papers or was or is a program director and has some name recognition -this will go a loooong way. Start working on that relationship early by doing a rotation with them or volunteering a few hours in the OR with them. I was also told in my interviews that I was picked because of my "interesting" background (Medicine is a second career for me). In short, the PD's are bored of reading the same applications over and over and anything you can put on there to differentiate yourself can save your app from the trash bin, ie: interesting hobbies, past employment or volunteer. And never mislead the PD's by telling them you are going to rank them number one if you aren't - they all talk before the rank lists are turned in and they'll find out! I know a few who screwed themselves by trying that. Sending timely thankyou notes to everyone you interviewed with is also very important, don't forget the secretary who organized your day either, you'd be surprised how much his/her opinion is taken into account by the PD- I always tried to reference something we discussed during the interview day to try to trigger their memory because 2 months later when its time to make the rank lists, all the applicants tend to blur! Well, thats my .02, hope this gives all you non-AOA students hope!!

I had average grades preclinical, all A's with 2 B's clinical, crappy step I (209) not much better step II (214) and had interviews at Brigham, BID, Columbia, Penn, etc. Matched #1, BID with transitional year at St. Vincents in Manhattan. I think who writes you letters is very important. I got some from program directors that trained at programs I was interested in and who had lots of publications. I think if I had seen the previous posts last year, I wouldn't have even applied at the programs I did... Ignorance really is bliss.. Don't try to predict what will happen, just apply as though everyone wants you badly, remembering to throw in some safetys and see what happens!
Good luck to you all next year!

Matched at my #1 choice UCSF

Step 1 - 258/99
Step 2 - 256/99
AOA

206 on STEP 1
588 on COMLEX 1

Good Letters of recommendations from Stanford(critical care rotation) and UCLA(anesthesia elective).

I'd say my class rank is middle-low 1/3 of my class.
Grades are average(I give 100% and can live with the results).

Its possible my previous career as physician assistant,or my military background intrigued a few programs(who knows).

On 9/1/03 I applied to 16 anesthesia programs through ERAS. What was I thinking!!!
On 10/29/03 I garnered only 1 anesthesia interview(idiota)!!!!

During the second week of Nov 03 I went on a transitional year interview and met an intern who DID NOT MATCH anesthesia for 7/04. He told me he applied to 34 programs, did 10 interviews. That scared the crap out of me. I went home that night and spent 3 hrs on FREIDA looking at all possible anesthesia programs that were a good location for my family and I. In the end I applied to 60+ programs. I'm glad I did........I matched.

ANESTHESIA IS COMPETITIVE. Unfortunately scores are the only way to screen the thousands of applicants.

Be honest with yourself. If you don't have competitive scores(check this forum to gauge a competitive score) THEN YOU NEED TO CAST A WIDE NET EARLY. Don't wait late in the game to apply like I did. I was able to get 20 interview offers(thankfully),and went on 11 interviews. Hell yeah it was expensive, but it was worth it. Never ever give up the chase(see CCMagic's post on another thread).

Originally posted by Rock Star

ANESTHESIA IS COMPETITIVE. Unfortunately scores are the only way to screen the thousands of applicants.

Be honest with yourself. If you don't have competitive scores(check this forum to gauge a competitive score) THEN YOU NEED TO CAST A WIDE NET EARLY. Don't wait late in the game to apply like I did. I was able to get 20 interview offers(thankfully),and went on 11 interviews. Hell yeah it was expensive, but it was worth it. Never ever give up the chase(see CCMagic's post on another thread).

I totally agree with you man. I went down to number 4 on my list and I considered myself of average competitiveness. However, I am so glad that I didn't end up living 3 years of my life eating at taco bell in Iowa City. Great program though.

Why did I go to number 4? I think it was Because I took myself out of the categorical rankings by picking up that AOA intern year in the DO match (1 mo before the Allo match), and of course, the increased quality of the average applicant. For advanced Iowa only had 5 spots, UofI had only 1 friggen spot, and Northwestern had like 8-10 (so I got straight up shot down there). So there must have been some gunners ranking NW this year. Good program but I'd be equally happy there or at Rush. I just thought NW was more purty and probably had better didactics.

Anyhoots for the DO's applying next year take the intern year thing into consideration. I'm stoked about Rush and Chicago. That intern year is gonna be sweeeeeet too! Zero regrets.

HEY! Now that I have your attention. . .Don't be discouraged. Especially if you're an FMG. FMG's and USIMG's: You should try to do a rotation at a good program. I did a rotation in anesthesiology at a good program in Manhattan and got a letter from two faculty. One was the PD, the other was the doc that interfaced with students doing rotations. The PD of the program was way cool. I asked him what they look for in a candidate. He stated (much to my surprise) that the best way to not get into his program was to score above 250 on any Step exam. No offense to those of you who did. His rationale was that the really high scorers were too hard to relate to. While this certainly does not apply to all high scorers it was his rule of thumb. He just wanted people who could score an above pass on Step 1 and a moderate score on Step 2.
Work on your personal statements. Make them compelling. I gave an opening schpiel on how my passion was a sport I'd played as a kid. I tried to relate it to how I learned from mistakes and came out the better for them. Just develop your personal statement. It is important. If you're a USIMG then tell them why you went to a foreign school. They will want to know.
For USIMG's or anyone who wants help you can send me a private message and I will reply to give you any constructive criticism or help. My point is that if you want to get into anesthesia you can Carpe Diem! Life is about promoting yourself. Don't be shy. Good Luck!

Who shoots at the mid-day sun, though he be so sure he shall never hit the mark, yet as sure as he is, he shall shoot higher than he who aims at a bush. - Phillip Sidney

I'm also going to UCSF. I just read some of the posts, and it seems to me that the above stats do not represent the majority. No one should freak out when they read all of this.

Here's mine: Step 1- 243, Step 2- 236 (but I don't think anyone knew), letters were probably anywhere from just average to not that impressive, I was in the top 30% of my class with clinical grades about 1/2 honors and 1/2 high pass.

I think my boards and grades/Dean's letter got me interviews, and then I felt like I interviewed particularly well at UCSF and some other programs. My feeling was that I helped myself out considerably with my interviews. Especially at UCSF, the interviewers seemed to just want to get to know me and talk casually, which I was happy to do. I definitely preferred that type of interview to the hard core type. My advisor told me that getting interviews is only the first step (although obviously essential). Once you get the interview, you really jockey for position. I think programs just want to see your personal skills, and I think almost everyone does well with it. If you have issues though, I'm sure it could ruin you.

My comments on other posts: I disagree with the personal statement post. All components of the app must be solid, but my opinion is that people could really care less about the personal statement (except for Mt. Sinai-- Levine is really damn cool). Just make sure you stay on the right side of the line between distinguishing yourself and seeming weird.

That's about it...hope it helps. See some of you in a little over a year.:D

My guess would be Columbia.... they're the most academic of the NYC programs.

I think this is the thread that BassDominator was referring to.

In addition to this, are there any "matchees" out there who had decent board scores yet average to subaverage clinicals?

Thanks.

Step I 232

Medicine: HP
Family Medicine: HP
Surgery: HP
Psych: HP
Ob/Gyn: HP
Peds: Honors

Sub-I: Honors
Ambulatory: Honors
Anesthesia (2 months): Honors

Letters: Medicine, Peds, Anesthesia

Research: Ultrasound-Guided Central Venous Cannulation in Pediatric Cardiology, 1 abstract presented, 1 abstract submitted, 1 manuscript submitted (all second author)

I hope this helps.

PS. Thanks duckbill for digging up this thread.

Step 1 224
Step 2 ????????

UCSF.....Anesthesia

I agree with the not freakin out.
I also matched at UCSF with what I am sure is the lowest Step 1 in the class...224.
Thus keep the dream alive and don't believe the hype!!