? for practicing psychiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rnnpmaybe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you say the years of medical school and residency were worth what you do now? Would you do it over again? If you respond, please state if you are in residency or done with that!

thanks in advance...

evee

Members don't see this ad.

Would you say the years of medical school and residency were worth what you do now? Would you do it over again? If you respond, please state if you are in residency or done with that!

thanks in advance...

evee

Yes and yes - but I really enjoyed the process (medical school, residency, and fellowship). I'm all done with training, much to the delight of my wife.

I'm doing what I love. It was worth it for me.

Psychiatry is not for everybody, but neither is every field of medicine.

I however hated medical school. I got sick of getting questions in the exam that weren't mentioned in class, weren't in the book and then the people that aced the exam had access to old exams that no one else had. Then when I brought this up in student government the professors didn't seem to care because they didn't want to make up new exams, or the class where the only way to do well was to do all the old exams, but heck, no one understood what was going on in class. Geez that was only about 75% of my classes!

Or those classes where the university needed to weed out students so they made the exams so difficult that the average grade was about a 30%, with a class variability on a level where the grade showed no validity on your knowledge of the material, and on top of that this is at a university where you couldn't drop the class after the 2nd week of the semester.

One of my favorite classes was my Law & Medicine class. The guy teaching it was a lawyer & the guy actually taught everything that was in the exam. He was eloquent in his presentation. He also made sure all the material that would be on the exam would be avilable in written format. Wow, what a concept! to actually get tested on the material that was presented in class and presented well!

Last edited:
I'm in residency and loving it....can't wait till next July when I can moonlight for $100/hour and basically double my residents salary by working 10 extra hours a week.