For pre-med and med students ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparkling789

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Just had some questions for pre-med and med students. I was wondering how other pre-med or med students are planning their life out? I mean when are you deciding to get married?

I would also like to hear from those who are in med school and haven't found anyone yet.

I'm afraid I'll be lonely in med school if I don't find someone before getting into med school. I'm so busy with school and work that I don't have time to socialize with others. If I can't find someone now, how will I find someone when I'm in med school?

I am 23 yr. old asian girl, lived in US for 12 yr. I'll be graduating next year.

To other Asian Americans out there: what are your thoughts on arrange marriages? Have you found someone yet? How did you meet that person, if you don't mind me asking? If you haven't what are you planning to do?
I don't believe in online dating thing because you can't tell if the person is real or not.

I know this is more of The Lounge topic, but I want pre-med or med student's opinions so PLEASE don't move this thread.

Thanks everyone! : )

Members don't see this ad.

How can you DECIDE to find a significant other and get married? I could "decide" all I want to, but if I continue to be surrounded by *****s and misfits that seem to continue to come my way, I ain't getting married at all. Also, what is the great significance of marriage? If you are already living together, then what difference does it make whether you get your marriage certificate before, during, or after med school?

great first post, put it through an engrish filter next time

Members don't see this ad :)
before i decided to go premed, i always wanted to get married around 25 and have kids around 27...not really sure how i want it to play out anymore. by 25 i should be in my 3rd or 4th yr of med school, 27 i'll be doing my fellowship, but then i still have to do residency after that, so ...i just dont know

I met someone in college.

Right now he and I are planning to get married either the summer after my second year or during the winter my 3rd year.

And I'm hoping to get pregnant during my last year of residency or first couple of years of employment.

But just because you don't have an SO going into medical school doesn't mean you'll be alone. There are plenty of places to meet people - both in school and outside of school. In the 4th year class at my school there are like 7 serious couples out of 100 people. Many others have met people outside of the class. Then of course there's work and meeting people when you're older. Plenty of time to meet someone and get married.

Online dating isn't so bad - you basically just have a chance to compare values etc. before you meet that person. Then you start dating. I don't know what you mean by "if they're real or not" you'll know that in about a week. I'm not saying everyone should do it - but don't automatically discount it. And maybe its a cultural thing but it sounds a lot better than an arranged marriage - online dating is really just finding a person online then dating in person.