For reapplicants, do med school have/look at your old application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

If you are applying to the same schools, then they will have your old application. If you are applying to a new school, then they will not have it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Better question/answer - If I apply two consecutive years with pretty much the same application, should I be surprised when a school rejects me again? A school may not look specifically at last year's, but if the application had deficits or lacked the strengths to get an interview the first time, you shouldn't be surprised at similar results.**

**I say this not implying that was OPs MO, but it's such a prevalent decision that it was worth stating.
 
I called one of my schools I applied to for feedback, and they said yes most likely they will be curious on your old app.

The primary purpose that they pull up is to see why you were rejected (usually see if the previous reviewer left any negative comment/weakness). For example, a poor MCAT score. Doing so will save a lot of their time trying to look through your app and trying to nitty picky.

Then, then will look at your new app and see if you have retake the new MCAT and showed improvement.
 
I interviewed at 8 schools and about 3/4 of my interviewers referenced my old application and said that they had skimmed over it. So be prepared to answer questions about why you think you didnt get in and what you did to improve yourself.