Question about my grades for Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Manpersonguy

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, hope you guys are doing well. I am about to finish my first year at college and it has been awful. I already have 2 C+s (one of them hopefully is a C+). One being intro to molecular biology and another is Orgo I (the average grade in my orgo class is literally a C-). Also got an F on a P/F class for a dumb reason. Also like 5 Bs. Would an upward trend of all As in the future semesters offset this for med schools? Just anxious about my grades and what to do in the future for med school, thank you.
 
Welcome to the forums. Can I ask you why you took Organic Chemistry in your freshman year?

I just had it open to take during the freshman year due to transfer credit. Is this grade acceptable for a person in freshman year taking orgo? I just usually study for 3-4 hours a day on things by practicing and reviewing the topics.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, hope you guys are doing well. I am about to finish my first year at college and it has been awful. I already have 2 C+s (one of them hopefully is a C+). One being intro to molecular biology and another is Orgo I (the average grade in my orgo class is literally a C-). Also got an F on a P/F class for a dumb reason. Also like 5 Bs. Would an upward trend of all As in the future semesters offset this for med schools? Just anxious about my grades and what to do in the future for med school, thank you.
Rising GPA trends are always good.

Do you have a plan to improve your study and learning skills? What is holding you back on doing well?

Hope is not a strategy, BTW.
 
Rising GPA trends are always good.

Do you have a plan to improve your study and learning skills? What is holding you back on doing well?

Hope is not a strategy, BTW.
That's not what I'm really sure on, I don't know any good resources on how to study better. I see that I'm doing some careless mistakes on exams and I try to stop but just can't.
 
That's not what I'm really sure on, I don't know any good resources on how to study better. I see that I'm doing some careless mistakes on exams and I try to stop but just can't.
Your university has a learning services office, in all likelihood. Your prerequisites likely have learning assistants or TA's. You could go to instructor office hours.

Your description of grades sounds like you are an academic probation risk.

Yes, you can recover, but you need to ask for help and get it. You need external accountability and validation.
 
Organic chemistry in freshman year is a mistake for pre-meds. I wish we could print that on every AP Chemistry worksheet. But for you, what is done is done. All you can do is get some coaching on test-taking and study skills and turn over a new leaf with the new academic year. The good news is that the year that one takes organic is almost always the year with the lowest GPA so it is, in all likelihood, upward from here for you.