For SUNY Downstate students: How are the standard rooms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFlower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently searching for a place to live near SUNY Downstate and am seriously considering on-campus housing for my first year--just received my housing assignement, but keeping my options open. Does anyone have any opinions on the standard rooms? My first preference was a single studio (not available), so now I have a single standard. How are the shared showers/kitchens? Please, any help will be immensely appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

They recently remodeled the kitchenettes and they are nice. You get an apartment sized fridge, microwave, and a better sink. You can see the new kitchenettes on the website under residental life. They are also redoing the shared bathrooms and I don't know what they look . I know that when I was in a standard room as a first year I couldn't wait till I had the opportunity to go into a 1 bedroom. I think you should still try looking for an off-campus apartment. I'm always so jealous of the off campus apartments of people that I know.

rosielo said:
They recently remodeled the kitchenettes and they are nice. You get an apartment sized fridge, microwave, and a better sink. You can see the new kitchenettes on the website under residental life. They are also redoing the shared bathrooms and I don't know what they look . I know that when I was in a standard room as a first year I couldn't wait till I had the opportunity to go into a 1 bedroom. I think you should still try looking for an off-campus apartment. I'm always so jealous of the off campus apartments of people that I know.

Thank you very much for your reply, rosielo! It's nice to hear that the standards are not bad (but I would figure they're not particularly great either). I was disappointed that I didn't get a studio (so that I could have my own little kitchen and shower) but I suppose sharing one for a year wouldn't be too bad. If I find something better within this upcoming week, I think I may take that, but in the meantime to not have a "horrible" option. :)

Did you have a roommate? When I looked at the size of the room online, I couldn't believe how small it was and cannot imagine having a roommate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second the above posters' reply... I am a current Downstate Student who has lived off-campus but has seen the dorms. Even with the remodeling, it is not worth the price. Try to find something off-campus!

Good luck.

Does anyone know if it is practical to live further away, drive to school everyday and can you find a parking lot to buy a monthly space around downstate?

NomadGL said:
Does anyone know if it is practical to live further away, drive to school everyday and can you find a parking lot to buy a monthly space around downstate?

As a long time Brooklynite I would seriously suggest NOT having a car. It will become your worst nightmare if you can't afford the tickets and the parking. I would try either Kensington, Park Slope "south", Prospect Heights, Windsor Terrace, or Ditmas Park areas for apartments and take either the bus or the train, or a bicycle. I didn't go to Downstate, but it's a brutal awakening if you're not from the city. I basically took it for granted that getting around was a pain, and you eventually get used to it. Good luck though, it's a trip! And Brooklyn is great.

timeout09 said:
I second the above posters' reply... I am a current Downstate Student who has lived off-campus but has seen the dorms. Even with the remodeling, it is not worth the price. Try to find something off-campus!

Good luck.

Hey Timeout;

I'll be going to Downstate this fall. Since you are a Downstate student, I was wondering if you could enlighten all my entering fellow Downstate M1s and tell us what books you recommend we get for the blocks............

Thanks for the help