Black Finish or Standard Finish Chest Piece for Stethoscope?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nhs2252

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm in the process of ordering a Littmann Cardiology IV™ Stethoscope for medical school and I'm wondering whether or not to get the standard finish for the chest piece or the black finish. I've attached the images below. The black finish is $25 while the standard is $0. If it's more expensive, what benefit if there to the black finish? I'd greatly appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
1654633721599.png
1654633730067.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The benefit is that it looks cooler. Get whichever you like better, or wait for a well-meaning relative to gift you one

The benefit is that it looks cooler. Get whichever you like better, or wait for a well-meaning relative to gift you one
You don't think that the stainless steel looks a little classier?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Both of these are perfectly acceptable, neither is "better" than the other, and nobody is going to think twice about it except for you. Get whichever one you personally prefer in terms of appearance.

Reactions: 1 users
Get whichever you think looks nicer. No one else will notice (unless you get an exotic tubing color) and regardless of which combination you pick, there will guaranteed be someone with the same combination as you at your program.

I personally think a dark colored (not black, unless you get a colored stem) tubing with a dark headpiece (black or smoke) looks the best, but I also don't usually carry a stethoscope.

I have two black ones and prefer it. But it simply goes down to your preference.

Steel gets my vote. Black finished scopes get these gouges/scratches where the steel underneath shows through. Looks bad. Like curb rash on black rims.

You'll probably lose it in residency so, stainless steel.
Admit it, yours is in some patient's abdomen isn't it?
I have no idea. There's a non-zero chance.

I do know I last saw it in the trauma bay PGY2 year. Around PGY4 year I found one that looked eerily suspicious and was angry at the world so I took that one home and kept it on a book shelf. My 3 year old daughter likes to grab it and run around the house saying "I'm a doctor!" so... well. At least someone is using it I guess?

• Haha
Go cheaper. I'm in a field where I haven't touched one in years. I'm glad I just got the basic one back in the day. I think I remember the rubber tubes getting all wonky when I left it in my car in the middle of summer during intern year.

Get which one you like the look of.

I got the black one and I like it. The finish has held up well, no gouges. But I also tend to take care of my stuff and have never been one to just throw it around. I also tend to keep track of my stuff, so I still have mine from med school.

I’m also a psychiatrist so I rarely use mine anymore but still do sometimes. People say to go with what’s cheaper but, honestly, the price difference is minimal. I think $25 over the course of the years you’ll use it is worth it if it makes you like your equipment more.

Basically, if you couldn’t care less, go with what’s cheaper. If you like the black version, get the black version.

Literally has no bearing on anything. Buy the black if you think it looks nicer and are willing to pay for more it. Otherwise just go with the standard because you'll probably lose it eventually anyway.