For the ERAS veterans out there.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tommytone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether I have lived in the stone age since y2k or what, but i just found this page - great page btw - and now i have a question to pick you on.

after thoroughly reading some of the archives (procrastinating the sh** out of my step 2 studying) I found that last year folks were getting interviews invites in early SEPTEMBER?!?!?! After a few beers I began to wonder HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?? How are peoples apps even complete...clearly I have come from a school that didn't wisen us up to the intricacies of ERAS.

I will have just completed my anesthesia rotation (first opportunity to do one)...and surely no program will get to see any stellar LORs from that experience by then (unless i choose me some super speedy writers) should I get some other recs from other people to fill in a blank or two while i wait? I was hoping on two anesth LORs and maybe a research or IM or FM attending

Glad to be here, and hope you can cure this insanity - it was after all born in your fabulous archives.....

I promise never to post whether i did myself in for getting a spot when i got a c in high school chemistry or if my USMLE score of 101 (two digit of course) will keep me out of community anesthesia programs R' us or none other nonsense like that

oh and also....could you fill this forum ignorant poster in on what the heck is a troll?
thx

Members don't see this ad.

Tommytone said:
I don't know whether I have lived in the stone age since y2k or what, but i just found this page - great page btw - and now i have a question to pick you on.

after thoroughly reading some of the archives (procrastinating the sh** out of my step 2 studying) I found that last year folks were getting interviews invites in early SEPTEMBER?!?!?! After a few beers I began to wonder HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?? How are peoples apps even complete...clearly I have come from a school that didn't wisen us up to the intricacies of ERAS.

I will have just completed my anesthesia rotation (first opportunity to do one)...and surely no program will get to see any stellar LORs from that experience by then (unless i choose me some super speedy writers) should I get some other recs from other people to fill in a blank or two while i wait? I was hoping on two anesth LORs and maybe a research or IM or FM attending

Glad to be here, and hope you can cure this insanity - it was after all born in your fabulous archives.....

I promise never to post whether i did myself in for getting a spot when i got a c in high school chemistry or if my USMLE score of 101 (two digit of course) will keep me out of community anesthesia programs R' us or none other nonsense like that

oh and also....could you fill this forum ignorant poster in on what the heck is a troll?
thx

Some programs just offer interviews with incomplete applications. I went to SLU before Dean's letter (and before some of my rec letters). Which programs do this? Typically the ones that have difficulty filling. Are they bad programs? Not at all, I really liked SLU.

A troll a denizen that gets his or her rocks off by posting inflammatory posts for the sole purpose of irritating people. Much like spammers, they are the most worthless imitation of a human-being possible and torture at the hands of schizophrenic cannibals is too good of a fate for them. In a nutshell.

Glad to have you aboard. Good luck in the interview season.

Tommytone said:

thx

Pul up your dress, pull out your sack, man up, and work your a$$ off to get as much done as possible. :D
The earlier the better. Ask for a letter from your attendings, but have a solid CV in your hand. Follow up on said letter 2,5, and 14 days after request. This is enough to keep it on their minds, but not be annoying... correction... not be too annoying. IM, and surg are good additions to an anesthesia letter. Have your shizzle ready, and get your finger on the trigger for sept to roll around. On opening day, pull said trigger with the furiousness. This is your opportunity to not be one of the many unfortunate ones who didn't match, or scramble. Beyond the match, though, this is your life/future we're talking about, and should be treated accordingly.
Many programs start offering invites after the first week or so, while others may wait until early november after the DL comes out. Anything offered in dec/jan is leftover from someone who cancelled.
Don't hesitate, don't procrastinate, be prepared, and welcome to the forum.
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
as someone said on here. Some places give out interviews early. Just get whatever you can in by the date ERAS opens up. You can always add more stuff and change Personal Statements,etc.

About SLU. I dont go to SLU so this is my unbiased opinion. I honestly thought it was a great program. the PD is cool as heck. The residents are really down to earth adn the environment is just great. If I could have lived in St. Louis (that is if my fiancee allowed me to) I totally would have attended SLU.

Just get your stuff early and you'll be surprised....pleasantly.

Some programs start offering interviews the first week of September (long before the program's own due date). Others wait until after November 1 when the entire application is due. My experience was that some less competitive programs offer interviews earlier, while some more competitive ones wait until Nov 1. But this wasn't hard and fast -- some highly competitive ones offer interviews late Sept or early Oct.