For the first time, I'm at a loss for words

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh god

what does this mean skip? Could this possibly be a good thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, didn't realise what a tidy, profitable operation Ross was. They've been operating for what 15-20 years? At my uni, when someone didn't get into a professional school after a bachelor's and was unsure of the next step, the running joke was "Are you serious about success?" Meaning, they were off to Devry! I guess they can throw in an MD with that computers course now.

What can you say. They both get results. It does sort of take your breath away, but I think it's probably a good thing.

Originally posted by Arunski
oh god

what does this mean skip? Could this possibly be a good thing?

I have no idea.

I cannot possibly see at the moment, at least reputation-wise, how this could be a good thing. There is so much stigma and misunderstanding about going this route out there, much of which is founded on ignorance, that having the "DeVry" name associated with the school cannot be a positive endorsement. People think of DeVry as a place where anybody can get a degree. I think of Ross (and have seen firsthand) where many, but not everyone, can get at least a chance to pursue a medical degree, but not everyone who starts will finish... and many will fail trying. Of course, I have to recognize and admit my own bias and ignorance about what all DeVry has to offer and how they operate. They do have a full university and they offer a CPA program that boasts the highest pass rate for the CPA exam of any program out there. Who knows at this point from a PR perspective? I'll say this: I'm not happy about it.

From a financial/resource perspective, however, this may be a good thing. The folks that run DeVry have their act together. I'm sure that resources will improve for the school and things will run much more efficiently from a management standpoint. From what I understand currently as well, the school will retain the name "Ross University" and will continue to operate as a separate entity under the aegis of DeVry. Not much operationally can change or the school will lose it's U.S. DOE status, etc.

There are a lot of unanswered questions at this point. Only time will tell. But, I fear that they rumors, innuendo, and perception of the name will do more hurt than healing for the school's reputation, at least in the short run.

-Skip
MS2 Ross University
**T-Minus 8 Weeks until Step I**

Of course, I did post this awhile ago...

That's about what I had, and I got into Ross (and I'm doing just fine, in fact, better than some with even higher scores that are also here.) Don't go for the "First Step" program if they offer it to you. Insist on full admission or go somewhere else. The "First Step" plan is bogus. You can always transfer in later.

Also, it appears that Ross is, once again, being sold. Details are still sketchy, but it looks like they are trying to sell it to some U.S.-based "post-secondary" school. I just hope that post-secondary doesn't mean Devry or ITT Tech (or similar). I can just see the scrolling TV ads now...

Get your training from DeVry! Degrees offered in...

TV Repairman

Executive Assistant

Law Clerk

Office Worker

Paralegal

Doctor of Medicine

Things here change more often than a politician's mind!

-Skip
MS2 Ross University

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50336

Sometimes I scare even myself. :D

:wow: Gees. I mean, the I hear the word "Devry" and I think of the commercials-guys wearing mullets playing with microchips and wires.

SI, do you think they should keep the name "Ross"?

I have to concur with Skip on this.

I really dont have a positive image of devry university.

Now Im really pulling for another option to become available...

Originally posted by isidella
SI, do you think they should keep the name "Ross"?

I think they will, at least that's the plan. I do not see how attaching the name "DeVry" directly to the school will help anything. They care about the cashflow, not having their name on the school. Besides, Ross has an established reputation. I don't think anything will change, except the ownership.

Time will tell...

-Skip

(P.S. Be grateful that you don't have to worry about such issues. :))