for the top programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eml

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, sorry for asking a potentially annoying question..w/my recent step 1 score of 224 am i kinda out of the running for the top PM&R programs?(i.e. the 6-10 or so always mentioned on here)..are there kinda cutoffs?

granted, clerkships, LOR, research, extracurric etc etc all matter..im just wondering if i even have a chance w/that score etc.

its less than i had hoped for. some web sites i've come across say they wont even look at your app if its below a certain percentile.. thanks for your help (im thinking this info might also be useful for other peeople who havent taken step 1 cruising around here)...
eml

Members don't see this ad.

No it's not annoying. We've all been there wondering how competitive we were when we applied. I just went through the whole process this past year and it was awesome to have people on this forum share their experiences about a relatively little known field. And I preface this by saying that I'm just one person with one experience, so take it for what it's worth:

I had about the same step 1 score as you (and an even slightly lower step 2 that went on my eras app. :eek: ). But I got interviews everywhere I applied (about 20) and matched at my top choice. That being said, I think it's important to emphasize that step one is just one part of the application, as you said. But I think step one score carries even less weight in PM&R than in other fields where a minimum cutoff score might be required just to have your file even considered for interview (if you believe all the stories that the rads, ortho, derm, etc. people tell you). I think that showing a genuine interest in the field--by way of elective or research for example--as part of a well-rounded application is most desirable to the upper tier programs.

Oh that reminds me, when you say the "top programs" mentioned on this forum I assume you mean places like Spaulding, UMich, UWash, RIC, Mayo, Baylor, Kessler, etc. From what I know these are certainly great programs, but there are MANY programs in PM&R that can provide a solid training experience (just check out the numerous past discussions on this forum for opinions, and ask around). It's important to know what you want out of your residency and in your career (academia, private, inpatient, outpatient, research, fellowship, etc.), because when I was on the interview trail there were a lot of times when it honestly felt like I was interviewing them and not the other way around :cool: .

Hope some of my ramblings actually helped and good luck to you!!

Jeeva has got a point,

do your research, don't worry about your scores, it is really not an issue. Real interest in the field is what they are looking for. I deal with residents with astronomic scores and poor pt care skills and also deal with fair scores with wonderful bedside manner and superb medical capability. So become a good well-rounded physician and it will show on your interview and through out your carrier.

rec programs:
East coast: Harvard, Tufts, Rusk, Cornell, Kessler, and Hopkins

Midwest: MI, RIC

West: UC-Davis, Washington

Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Johns Hopkins any good for PM&R? Thus far, I have heard negative opinions about their PM&R program with the possibility that the program may shutdown.

Just talked to a friend who finished residency at Jefferson PMR program... the us news and report supposedly has rankings on PMR... i can't recall the numbers but it was something like

1. ??
2. baylor
3. u wash
4. mayo
5. craig ( i have no idea what craig is)
6. kessler
7. rusk
8. jefferson! (she really emphasized this)
9. boston
10. ohio
11. los amigos
... 20. ucla

No other uc's mentioned at all. So my quesiton is this: if I desperately want to end up with a job in california, should i try to match in california and gain connections for a job, or should i try to match a top program and then apply for a job in cali?

Does anyone know the job market in CA for PMR? it seems most ppl here are east coast

Remember that the US News rankings rankings for PM&R pertain to the quality of the hospital and not necessarily the residencies programs. For example, Rusk Institute is consistently in top 10 of rehab hospitals. However, I have often received very negative feedback from residents and interviewees about the Rusk residency program. As you probably know, the quality of the hospital does not always correlate to the quality of medical education.

BTW, the #1 program is Rehab Institute of Chicago (Northwestern). It is considered by many one of best PM&R residencies, also.

In terms of the job market, I hear that there more PM&R jobs available throughout the country than there are physiatrists. I don't think getting a job in Cali would be hard to get.