For the UPCOMING AADSAS cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthcaree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which of the two options would be a better idea..
I've already taken my DAT last year and the scores turned out to be
19AA/20TS/21PAT (3.21 science gpa, 3.68 non-science, 3.34 overall)

I have been waitlisted at the Pitt and Tufts. It doesn't seem too hopeful as of now so I'm getting ready to re-apply this coming June (re-taking my DAT in July).

My question is

- Should I submit AADSAS app asap indicating that I will be taking my DAT again end of July? (I have LOR, essays, all ready to go)

OR

- Should I wait until I finish my DAT and then submit?

What I've been hearing is that for those applicants who indicate that they have a future DAT scores coming up, the adcom files the application separately and sort of neglect until the date and the chance of getting a thorough review compared to those of who have the COMPLETE app (no future DAT scores) is low.

If you could give me some advice here, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Just to add on, my EC: 3 years of research with two publications, 200+ clinic volunteer hours, 1 year of dental assistant experience (first volunteer then was offered a paid position)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't delay sending in your application due to a DAT Retake!

Turn in your application on the first day possible, then send your unofficial scores directly to the schools as soon as you retake the DAT.

On a side note, I'm not sure that it is your DAT you need to be worried about... When did you turn in your application last year?

Believe me... I learned the hard way... Timing is everything in the application process.

Good Luck!:thumbup:

My AADSAS submission date was early July, but I took the DAT end of July last year. Plus my last rec. letter got in the first week of September..

This is why I'm afraid to just submit an incomplete application. Since my old DAT score is just average (my GPAs aren't that great either), I just wanted to seem my application sort of outstanding by covering it with a new (hopefully much better) DAT score.

I just don't know whether to submit without the new score, or submit it as it is for now..

Members don't see this ad :)
My AADSAS submission date was early July, but I took the DAT end of July last year. Plus my last rec. letter got in the first week of September..

This is why I'm afraid to just submit an incomplete application. Since my old DAT score is just average (my GPAs aren't that great either), I just wanted to seem my application sort of outstanding by covering it with a new (hopefully much better) DAT score.

I just don't know whether to submit without the new score, or submit it as it is for now..

hi healthcaree, im in the exact same position except:

aa/18 ts/19/ pat 21
GPA: Overall 3.20
GPA: Science 3.50
GPA: Post-Bac 4.00
i got a 15 qr which dragged down my aa. im torn between retaking the dat and just getting everything in early. i didnt have official dat scores until mid october last year and submitted mid july. the other option is to start studying again and retake in july. im so scared i wont do as well as last time. :scared:

only on SDN are "19AA/20TS/21PAT" considered average lol. Honestly, I don't know why you're retaking. I don't think there's a need unless you strongly believe that you can do a lot better. If you apply during the first week, with that DAT score and your GPA, I don't think you'll have any problems getting in this cycle. Good luck!

19AA/20TS/21PAT DAT scores are not average. Look at the percentile break down of each section and I'm sure you will see they are well above 50%. My DAT scores are nearly identical to yours and all my scores hovered around the high 80% and low 90% mark, with the exception of QR (15%) and BIO (75ish%).

Basically I'm trying to say I wouldn't retake it if I were you...I got into Tufts this cycle with the same DAT scores as you and a lower gpa. Plus I applied in mid-September, without all the required LORs.

But, I guess that does nothing to answer your question: If I were you I would just submit your application right away.

only on SDN are "19AA/20TS/21PAT" considered average lol. Honestly, I don't know why you're retaking. I don't think there's a need unless you strongly believe that you can do a lot better. If you apply during the first week, with that DAT score and your GPA, I don't think you'll have any problems getting in this cycle. Good luck!

true, those scores are above average, but a lot of people take the exam, score terribly and bring down the averages. you can't really compare yourself against the truly average scores because they wouldn't get most people into a school. you need to focus on the average score of accepted students. i think the average dat for most accepted students is at least 19. so if you want to be competitive, i'd say you need about an avg of 20 (aa/ts/pat). 19/20/21 should be competitive, so i wouldn't worry, but my point is just because scores are in the 80-90 percentile of all dat testers doesn't mean they're in the 80-90 percentile of all dental students.

Thanks for all the advices!

I was trying to aim for 20+ on AA and there's no guarantee that I would get that score, but re-studying would show at least some kind of improvement I'm guessing. I did worst on my QR section too (got a 17) and that is what brought down my AA so I'm really focusing on MATH for this test.

I'm just afraid that if my stats are still the same (little bit of change for my personal statement), I would be getting the same result the following year. The only improvement I could make on my application seems to be the DAT score.

It does take 2-4 weeks for the DAT score to be sent to the schools, right?

I honestly do not think going from 19 to 20 will do anything to your application. Why don't you do more ECs??? Turn in your application early and list them for future activities. Even if you are thinking about re-taking the DAT, there is a big advantage in turning your app early.

First, I say apply as EARLY as possible! I honestly believe that is one of the major factors in getting interviews, and as we all know interviews leads to acceptance. I would have it in on the VERY first day. Further, you might want to apply to more schools, I honestly don't think your DAT is bad and with a better GPA and I think you would be good to go. Said to say I think your GPA is somewhat boarderline and with a decent DAT that doesn't really standout. Therefore a retake in the DAT with 20+ in all would help. Also, it might help (as mentioned) to really improve the app in other ways as well (i.e. increase volunteer time, shadowing, and improve your personal statement). Be ready for the "how did you improve your app?" That will definatly be asked at any interviews where you applied and if you do not have a very good answer then maybe you should take a year and focus on your app totally during that time. Best of luck!

Thanks everyone, :)

think I'll submit my application ASAP and re-take my DAT as well since the admitted students' average DAT is around what I have and I know that my gpa isn't outstanding..