For those accepted: Does it feel unreal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Csv321

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I was trying to get to sleep last night, I kept thinking about how "unreal" this whole process has been. I am still waiting on an acceptance from VCU but it's so weird trying to picture myself graduating and then moving on to medical school. Not that I'm not ready..it just seems so, surreal I guess, to picture myself finally achieving something I've been working towards for the past 4 years. So everything is just a blur right now.

So for those who know they're going somewhere in the fall, did you ever imagine yourself ending up where you're going to be 6 months from now? Or does it all still seem like a dream? I just want to make sure this is normal...

I'm hoping Tinkerbelle will read this and respond because 1) I think she got into Davis which is where I originally wanted to move 2) She seems nice 3) Peter Pan is my favorite movie :)

Members don't see this ad.

For me, it's when I forget things or do stupid stuff like trip over an untied shoelace that makes me exclaim to myself, "Wait...I'm going to be a doctor?"

It's totally normal to feel that way....it does kind of seem unreal to be accepted, and to know I will be starting down the path to become what I've always dreamed of becoming......its an amazing feeling...Im also nervous and a little scared of how my life will change once I start, but for the most part, its exciting and I cant wait.....the best part is being able to relax the next few months and totally enjoy life

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a lot of us feel this way. It's like one part of your life is over and now you get to do what you've wanted to do for so many years. And knowing that your dream is finally happening is just so awesome and scary and unreal all at the same time.

Csv321 said:
I'm hoping Tinkerbelle will read this and respond because 1) I think she got into Davis which is where I originally wanted to move 2) She seems nice 3) Peter Pan is my favorite movie :)

I wonder how you got that impression :D I didn't even apply to any Cali schools. Maybe you're thinking of Pinkertinkle? But yeah... Peter Pan rocks. And I thought tinkerbell was the cutest litte thing :love:

I hope you hear from VCU soon :luck:

Yep, it feels unreal, especially since I got my first acceptance (UCI MSTP) today! I just e-mailed a thank you to the dean with an apology for any permanent hearing loss sustained during our phone conversation. Two of my interviewers sent a congrats as well. :love:

My top choice sends out acceptances this week, but all I can think about is: "I will not have to move home, retake the MCAT, and start over." Omigod I'm going to be a doctor (squared, :laugh: ).

p.s. tinkerbelle I love your signature. Engineering power unite. :thumbup:

the entire process has been unreal...

I had no idea what to expect and i got so lucky with interviews and now, i actually have options :love:

i feel SOO incredibly fortunate

pretty soon we will wear the short white coats :p
(wow!)

For me, it's when I forget things or do stupid stuff like trip over an untied shoelace that makes me exclaim to myself, "Wait...I'm going to be a doctor?"

Haha. Ever since I was accepted, whenever I do/say anything stupid, my friends refer to me as "doctor" in the most sarcastic tone possible. It's great :D

scrappysurfer said:
p.s. tinkerbelle I love your signature. Engineering power unite. :thumbup:

thanks scrappysurfer :)

Darth Asclepius said:
Haha. Ever since I was accepted, whenever I do/say anything stupid, my friends refer to me as "doctor" in the most sarcastic tone possible. It's great :D

yours too???? we must be hanging out with the same people...

scrappysurfer said:
tinkerbelle I love your signature. Engineering power unite. :thumbup:

Go Engineers! haha.

but yeah. It def does feel surreal. it's like something you've been waiting for so long and finally it's like a piece of paper has determined your future. I hope all you guys feel this way soon. it's amazing. just gotta keep chuggin.

:cool: keep it gangsta. :cool:

virilep said:
Go Engineers! haha.

but yeah. It def does feel surreal. it's like something you've been waiting for so long and finally it's like a piece of paper has determined your future. I hope all you guys feel this way soon. it's amazing. just gotta keep chuggin.

:cool: keep it gangsta. :cool:

Congratulations! :thumbup: :barf:

I found out that I was accepted a week before christmas and so there was no better gift for me or my family. This last semester of undergrad has been an experimentation of procrastination, except in anatomy. There's moments like some other posters have said where I'll do something ******ed like hit my head on the weight bench bar again and I'll rub my head and think, "how the hell am I going to be a doc?". Or I'll do some drunk kareoke-ing(spelling?) and later wonder if I'll ever change. It feels incredible to think four years until that MD becomes a reality. But who cares, we'll all settle in and take care of what we have to. Good luck to all and keep doing the stupid things to keep sane

GuyLaroche said:
my initial reaction senses some sarcasm... and some stupidity...

GuyLaroche said:

From your posts, you do not seem to lack intelligence, but I really hope you plan a career with minimal patient contact.

Radiology, perhaps? A little pathology? No use in wasting a perfectly intelligent mind. Do us a favor and pick something where you just write useful little reports and send them off to the people-loving docs who handle live patients.