for those applying this year...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My list is looking like this:
Kansas
Iowa
Mississippi
Ohio
Western
and possibly the Wiche schools again: WSU, CSU, Davis and potentially Oregon (I have to find a cheap animal nutrition class on-line first).

I would highly recommend OSU's nutrition class online. I took 10 hours of classes from them and everything including books only cost $2000. The classes are simple and straightforward. You just have to make sure you stay motivated enough to get the courses finished because there isn't anyone giving you deadlines.

I feel like the odd woman out, but I only applied to two schools. My IS (TAMU) and Tufts. So I didn't even do the VMCAS! I couldn't justify the additional cost and time when I knew that if I got into my IS, I was going there. Looking back at it now, I'm sooo glad I didn't apply to more schools. I feel like I made a good decision because I applied 2 places and was accepted 2 places. Plus, I have no regrets about the app process and I saved myself a LOT of money.

Everyone has their own approach though. I met a girl at my Tufts interview that applied to 26!!! I'm sure mommy and daddy paid for all of that. I just can't imagine how much time she wasted. She told me she couldn't decide where she wanted to go. I feel like you should be able to get it down to at least 10 schools, if for no other reason but maintaining your sanity during the app/interview process.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone has their own approach though. I met a girl at my Tufts interview that applied to 26!!! I'm sure mommy and daddy paid for all of that. I just can't imagine how much time she wasted. She told me she couldn't decide where she wanted to go. I feel like you should be able to get it down to at least 10 schools, if for no other reason but maintaining your sanity during the app/interview process.

26?!?! Well heck, why not just make it all 28 and be done?
I only applied to 5 - Tufts, Cornell, UPenn, Glasgow, and Edinburgh. I'm waitlisted at Tufts, and accepted at Edinburgh, but I'm struggling with whether or not to actually GO to Scotland and all the associated things, or stay in the states and re-apply.
If I do, I will expand my choices some, but not much. I have location constraints due to where I'm willing to live for the next 4 or more years! :laugh:

26?!?! Well heck, why not just make it all 28 and be done?
I only applied to 5 - Tufts, Cornell, UPenn, Glasgow, and Edinburgh. I'm waitlisted at Tufts, and accepted at Edinburgh, but I'm struggling with whether or not to actually GO to Scotland and all the associated things, or stay in the states and re-apply.
If I do, I will expand my choices some, but not much. I have location constraints due to where I'm willing to live for the next 4 or more years! :laugh:
(bolding mine)
I know, what's wrong with the two she didn't apply to? :p

zoogirl, it sounds like you picked your schools well! It ended up working out for me to apply to 9, since I would not have gotten in anywhere (not counting waitlist action) if I had gone with the 5 or 6 schools I thought were most likely to admit me. I'll admit, though, that I was pretty stressed out with trying to do all of the supplemental application essays to my satisfaction. Also, my GPA was low, so my app was maybe more a crapshoot in trying to find the school that liked the rest of my application, compared to someone with a higher GPA who would be marketable to a broader range of schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly recommend OSU's nutrition class online. I took 10 hours of classes from them and everything including books only cost $2000. The classes are simple and straightforward. You just have to make sure you stay motivated enough to get the courses finished because there isn't anyone giving you deadlines.

Thanks for the information but I have a few questions: Is this OSU Oregon, Ohio, or Oklahoma? How long does it take to complete the course? Is it something that can be done in one semester or does it have to be done over a year? If I can do it in one semeter I should be able to have $2,000 to start the class in either the winter or spring. Also, does this course require you to take the exams with a test proctor or are the exams all on your own?

Does anyone else know of a place that is relatively cheap to take animal nutrition online? $2,000 is actually pushing it for me so around that price or cheaper would be what I am looking for. Thanks!

DVMDream- have you considered Purdue at all? I think they accept a relatively large number of OOSers and its a small program ie 85 students (both plusses in my eyes).

Thanks for the information but I have a few questions: Is this OSU Oregon, Ohio, or Oklahoma? How long does it take to complete the course? Is it something that can be done in one semester or does it have to be done over a year? If I can do it in one semeter I should be able to have $2,000 to start the class in either the winter or spring. Also, does this course require you to take the exams with a test proctor or are the exams all on your own?

Does anyone else know of a place that is relatively cheap to take animal nutrition online? $2,000 is actually pushing it for me so around that price or cheaper would be what I am looking for. Thanks!

I took animal nutrition online through NC State Distance Learning. I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but I'm pretty sure it was a lot less than 2 grand. There was no book, only online notes. I liked the class, it was structured enough so that you didn't get totally behind but left you time to slack a little here and there. :) The professor also had voice lecture notes that you listened to, and would point stuff out on the powerpoint as he went along, so a lot more incentive to pay attention to the notes. The exams did have to be proctored though, kind of a pain in the butt... All in all, a good experience though. I believe it was ANS 415.

http://delta.ncsu.edu/apps/coursedetail/index.php?id=ANS:415::601:FALL:2010

I believe looking back it was around 900 dollars...

BTW, the vet that I'm working for is making it seem like my only chances of getting in are at Davis and Western. She basically said if you have an in-state school it's highly unlikely that you'll be considered OOS anywhere else. She even said one of the other techs shouldn't have even bothered applying to the three OOS schools that he did. Is this true to any extent? It seems from other people's experiences here that it's not. I'm confused. :confused:

Totally not true! I mean, if you're thinking of applying to Georgia, then honestly, you probably won't get in OOS since they take like, 2 people. But depending on your stats, you can certainly get in OOS. I was invited to interviews at 4 OOS schools this year, and got accepted to one that doesn't interview, so it's definitely not impossible. Yes, you'd have better chances as an IS student at one of those schools, but the odds aren't awful at some schools. Davis isn't exactly a shoo-in for IS students, either. I know several who applied this year, who I think are very qualified, that didn't get interviews at UCD.

DVMDream- have you considered Purdue at all? I think they accept a relatively large number of OOSers and its a small program ie 85 students (both plusses in my eyes).

No I had not. For some reason I always thought they only accepted a very small number of OOS students. I will have to go look at their program, requirements, and stats though and I might possibly add them to my list.

Now if only someone could convince me to apply to Illinois and then I will be applying to the three schools that my 3 LOR's went to (probably unless there is a last minute change.)

I took animal nutrition online through NC State Distance Learning. I don't remember exactly how much it cost, but I'm pretty sure it was a lot less than 2 grand. There was no book, only online notes. I liked the class, it was structured enough so that you didn't get totally behind but left you time to slack a little here and there. :) The professor also had voice lecture notes that you listened to, and would point stuff out on the powerpoint as he went along, so a lot more incentive to pay attention to the notes. The exams did have to be proctored though, kind of a pain in the butt... All in all, a good experience though. I believe it was ANS 415.

http://delta.ncsu.edu/apps/coursedetail/index.php?id=ANS:415::601:FALL:2010

I believe looking back it was around 900 dollars...

Thanks for this info. I will have to look into it. 900 dollars sounds much more reasonable than 2,000. How long was the course?

I was trying to make a greater point about visiting schools and getting to know their systems so that you can play up your strengths according to what they're specifically looking for.

i agree, this is a very good suggestion. i was just havin' a little fun with the mizzou topic. tried to keep it light b/c i didn't want you to think i was making a jab at you. :)

i agree, this is a very good suggestion. i was just havin' a little fun with the mizzou topic. tried to keep it light b/c i didn't want you to think i was making a jab at you. :)

Someone in the Mizzou thread mentioned that they had a GPA cut off of 3.7 this year for applicants, but I don't personally believe that.

Hey DVM Dream, I took the Oregon State animal nutrition course online last summer and I believe it was $624 if my memory serves me well... I bought the book for cheap online and I'd be willing to send it to you for free if you decide to take it because I don't think I'll need it anymore. It's only 2 semester credits though, which is a little weird and could be a problem for other schools but it fills the requirement for Oregon State anyway. I liked the course too... the professor was always super helpful! Here's the link to the class info:

http://catalog.oregonstate.edu/CourseDetail.aspx?subjectcode=ANS&coursenumber=311

Last edited:
DVMDream - I took the course during spring semester of last year. I'm not sure if it's offered during the summer or only during fall, spring.

Someone in the Mizzou thread mentioned that they had a GPA cut off of 3.7 this year for applicants, but I don't personally believe that.

That would be, to put it lightly, not good. :(

Members don't see this ad :)

I didn't quite have a 3.7 GPA, although I wasn't more than 0.05 - 0.1 off. However, I do attend a school that Mizzou really likes and knows quite well, so I think that helped. I know that factored into my "motivation points" because they flat-out told me.

And yes, rileyroo, I could tell you weren't attacking me or anything, but I still felt the need to clarify and slightly defend myself nonetheless :rolleyes:

I can't imagine that's true at all. I got in with a GPA barely above the minimum required on my first try although I am in state. The competition is stiff but I think if you have decent grades and very good experience you won't be completely dismissed. I hope they give anyone with the min required GPA to apply a glance at least although I'm sure they have to have a cut off somewhere for OOS interviews.

I posted this earlier but I feel it bears repeating. I knew applying to 7 schools (or however many it was) would be expensive, but I didn't know just how expensive. It was a lot more than I thought and completely decimated my bank account. But I got in so, it was worth it. I've acquired a sudden taste for Ramen, but it was worth it.

In-state is A&M and my stats are probably average at best (3.4 cGPA).

Point is:
1) Applying to several schools is expensive, so start saving money.
2) It's extremely possible to get accepted OOS. Just apply wisely to those that accept large numbers (Ohio, Iowa, Kansas off that list).

VetSchoolApplicationCosts-1.jpg

And as we discussed in my original thread, this isn't even taking into account opportunity and sunk costs such as missed work days and suit purchasing.

It all boils down to whatever comes up on the random number generator program written by the monkeys they have in the basements. I've decided this and nobody is going to change my mind about it.

edit: the solution? Go to the school and bring bananas.

Hahaha! This seems like a totally logical conclusion to me :thumbup:

It all boils down to whatever comes up on the random number generator program written by the monkeys they have in the basements. I've decided this and nobody is going to change my mind about it.

edit: the solution? Go to the school and bring bananas.

oh man, I eat a banana basically every morning for breakfast. I'M GETTING IN!! :laugh:

oh man, I eat a banana basically every morning for breakfast. I'M GETTING IN!! :laugh:

No, they're going to be mad that you are increasing demand for bananas and driving up the price, and YOU HAVEN'T SHARED with the monkeys yet, have you?;)

no way. I'm gonna smell like bananas and then the monkeys are going to want me in their school.

relevant: :banana:

If I get accepted this year: :banana::banana::banana:

If I get rejected::diebanana::diebanana::diebanana:

It's your choice bananas.

Many vet schools look for different characteristics in their applicants and as such I think it is advisable to apply to as many school as you are both interested in and can afford. This increases your chances of finding a school that is looking for the qualities that you possess.

If I get accepted this year: :banana::banana::banana:

If I get rejected::diebanana::diebanana::diebanana:

It's your choice bananas.

hahahahaha love it.

and slightly on topic, I just realized I can apply to WSU this year... because I can use my GRE to off-set those bad grades!