for those applying to both DO and MD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cutes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are applying to both types of programs, what do you say in an interview when they ask you why you are applying to both? I would greatly appreciate your help, because I plan to apply to both because I really want to go to med. school but I don't know what to tell them in an interview and I have heard of them asking people in the past. Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both and was never asked that question at my allopathic or osteopathic interviews.

MD schools won't ask about it. I have no idea about DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks you guys for answering me. I know I'm probably being silly about this, but I have worried about it so much. I really appreciate your help.

Actually,

MD schools most likely (I'm saying....almost a 100% chance here) WILL NOT ask you whether you're applying to DO schools.

But, DO schools (I've known this from friends applying) might ask if you are applying to MD schools...

I guess I would be totally honest and tell em I'm also applying to MD schools...
Any suggestions from anyone to help Cutes answering this?

Does anyone else have any input? I would appreciate your ideas!! Thanks so much.

I went to 5 M.D and 1 D.O interviews. It never came up during the M.D interviews at any school I visited. At the D.O school I was asked very directly whether I was applying to M.D. programs, and if so, where. I was even asked which would I choose if I got into both programs. I answered as honestly as I could, hedging the truth somewhat. I ended up getting into the D.O school, later turning them down. I recommend being as honest as possible. Don't ever make it sound like applying to D.O schools is a back-up plan, even if that happens to be the truth. Osteopathy schools are sensitive to being thought of as second best. I was actually dreading this question, but it turned out not to be a big deal.

cutes,
I did not apply to DO schools, but I was asked in an interview at an MD school why I was not considering the DO. I answered very honestly and that was the end of that. No problems getting into the school later.

I think doctors are just interested in getting to know your motivations for going into their profession. There is no way of knowing whether your interviewer thinks it is better to be a doctor no matter what the degree--or if he thinks it is better to know which philosophy and path you want to take by choosing only one. IF you do get asked, just answer and don't spend so much time worrying about it.

gel1, how did you answer the question. And what made them bring it up in the first place?

Cutes,
I applied to both DO and MD programs. I was asked at one DO school if I had also applied for the MD schools. I was honest and stated that it didn't matter what letters I had behind my name but that I wanted to be a Doctor. I also told them that I had done research on osteopathic medicine and agreed with the overall approach. So basically be honest, majority of applicants to DO schools apply to MD programs as well.