For those interested in and/or matched to anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAbio9301

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What AGCME programs would you say are DO friendly? I've got a 228 USMLE, top 20% of class, plenty of research and work experiences. I just worry about going all in on ACGME anesthesia due to fear of not matching. Thoughts?

DISCLAIMER: I am aware that there is already a strikingly similar post not far down, but every story is unique. Basically, is 228 safe enough to apply anesthesia across the board?

Members don't see this ad.

What AGCME programs would you say are DO friendly? I've got a 228 USMLE, top 20% of class, plenty of research and work experiences. I just worry about going all in on ACGME anesthesia due to fear of not matching. Thoughts?

DISCLAIMER: I am aware that there is already a strikingly similar post not far down, but every story is unique. Basically, is 228 safe enough to apply anesthesia across the board?
I know of multiple people who matched to acgme gas within the past couple of years with worse step 1 scores (some much worse) and significantly worse class ranks.

Don't be a social weirdo, apply broadly, and you'll be fine.

I know of multiple people who matched to acgme gas within the past couple of years with worse step 1 scores (some much worse) and significantly worse class ranks.

Don't be a social weirdo, apply broadly, and you'll be fine.

What's much worse lol. Is anesthesia even a good field anymore? I was considering it but it seems like students are shying away. I get all the problems but reimbursement should still remain high, eh?

Members don't see this ad :)
What's much worse lol. Is anesthesia even a good field anymore? I was considering it but it seems like students are shying away. I get all the problems but reimbursement should still remain high, eh?

Based on the NRMP 2014 report, independent applicants with similar scores to yours had a 76% chance of matching (back in 2011, an IA's chances were 50%). With anesthesia being more DO friendly, your chances are higher than this number.

As to the whole reimbursement thing, cannot say for sure what the future will hold. These management groups pretty much have control of what you are payed, hours worked, and vacation time. There are fears of having salaries decrease closer to CRNA salaries. In the end, you cannot predict the job market. There were people who went into radiology in 1980s when it was non-competitive and by 90s were in a field that was in demand/high salary/good lifestyle (by 2010 this had changed). Being wary of what is happening to the field is understandable, but don't get too bogged down by the market.

Based on the NRMP 2014 report, independent applicants with similar scores to yours had a 76% chance of matching (back in 2011, an IA's chances were 50%). With anesthesia being more DO friendly, your chances are higher than this number.

As to the whole reimbursement thing, cannot say for sure what the future will hold. These management groups pretty much have control of what you are payed, hours worked, and vacation time. There are fears of having salaries decrease closer to CRNA salaries. In the end, you cannot predict the job market. There were people who went into radiology in 1980s when it was non-competitive and by 90s were in a field that was in demand/high salary/good lifestyle (by 2010 this had changed). Being wary of what is happening to the field is understandable, but don't get too bogged down by the market.

So, a 228 will get you an interview at most GAS programs, provided you have good clerkships and strong rec letters?

So, a 228 will get you an interview at most GAS programs, provided you have good clerkships and strong rec letters?

The best person to answer would be @cliquesh

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a solid answer to this and you are farther along your journey than I am (probably better to hear it from a resident). From asking the residents on here, it seems to be doable even in that score range. I cannot say for sure what caliber of residencies will be open to you. However, yes continue to get good clerkship grads and strong rec letters for well known names none the less. Be very smart on where you pick your interviews, make sure they are DO friendly places. I remember reading in opthalmology forums of DO who match into the field. He stated about emailing programs and making sure they are DO friendly as to not waste time and money on those that are not. Just be smart about how you prepare.

edit made

Last edited:

Do a search for the Temple program director of anesthesia thread. He answered several questions and made a clear point that anesthesia is an ever growing field and here in the near future there will be new procedures being done that only anesthesiologists can perform, therefore the job market is still expanding while the responsibilities of the CRNAs and the Anesthesia assistants (PAs) are remaining static.

Reactions: 1 users
Do a search for the Temple program director of anesthesia thread. He answered several questions and made a clear point that anesthesia is an ever growing field and here in the near future there will be new procedures being done that only anesthesiologists can perform, therefore the job market is still expanding while the responsibilities of the CRNAs and the Anesthesia assistants (PAs) are remaining static.

You make a lot of good points, I will read the thread.

Most of what I stated above are just claims in the anesthesia threads. It is a lot of conjecture really. Just stating that it is good to be cautious, but not to be paranoid. I don't really want to make assumptions about the anesthesia market since I don't know the details.

I had a 250+ with good grades, okay letters, and little research and I got interviews at 40 out of the 60 programs I applied to, so, no, I don't think a 228 will get interviews everywhere.

Anesthesia as a career is fine, in my opinion. Salaries may go down, but I'd be suprised if the mean ever drops below $300k/yr.

I had a 250+ with good grades, okay letters, and little research and I got interviews at 40 out of the 60 programs I applied to, so, no, I don't think a 228 will get interviews everywhere.

Anesthesia as a career is fine, in my opinion. Salaries may go down, but I'd be suprised if the mean ever drops below $300k/yr.

I may have misworded my original question. I know a 228 won't get me an interview everywhere, but do you think it will get me an interview at enough mid tier programs to feel pretty good about matching? I've done my homework and consider any school that has current DO residents as DO friendly. My main focus is on the Southeast region. Thank you for your insight!

I may have misworded my original question. I know a 228 won't get me an interview everywhere, but do you think it will get me an interview at enough mid tier programs to feel pretty good about matching? I've done my homework and consider any school that has current DO residents as DO friendly. My main focus is on the Southeast region. Thank you for your insight!
Yes (I think). Though your best information for that question would be from someone who matched with scores similar to you. Cliquesh's board score worked in his/her favor, while yours is more just middle of the road (but probably adequate).

@UAbio9301

Yep, you'll be fine. If you apply to 60ish programs you'll probably get 30ish interviews. I'd be suprised if you didn't match anesthesia.

When I was applying for residency I did not have much luck with the southeast programs, except for a few in Florida. For fellowship, on the other hand, everyone invited me.

Reimbursement is going to continue trending downward. Markets are tightening up. Fellowships are becoming more of a norm. You will most likely be working for an AMC, supervising 3-4 CRNAs at once. Basically, people are shying away because it's a dying field in many ways.

Or at least that's what the doom and gloomers think. I think it's not all that bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@UAbio9301

Yep, you'll be fine. If you apply to 60ish programs you'll probably get 30ish interviews. I'd be suprised if you didn't match anesthesia.

When I was applying for residency I did not have much luck with the southeast programs, except for a few in Florida. For fellowship, on the other hand, everyone invited me.
60 feels like a lot! I think I'm going to apply to 40.

What fellowship are going into? CT? Peds?

60 feels like a lot! I think I'm going to apply to 40.

What fellowship are going into? CT? Peds?

Critical care..I might back out, though. I really don't like medicine all that much.

Critical care..I might back out, though. I really don't like medicine all that much.
Oh excellent. I think (at this point) anesthesia -> CCM is my jam. CCM is the only inkling of "medicine" I like. Ok I love it. But anesthesia is the only way I want to get there. I really enjoy anesthesia so if I change my mind at least I've got that. Definitely CAN'T do IM for 3 years. Don't want to do surgery or EM to get there either.

The real question is, how much are you liking anesthesia these days?

Anesthesia is alright, I guess. It's not like I'm interested in another speciality. My lack of interest applies to all of medicine.

@abolt18 I sincerely think anesthesia is the way to go if you're interested in CC. You will be significantly more competent in various procedures if you're anesthesia trained opposed to medicine trained.

Anesthesia is alright, I guess. It's not like I'm interested in another speciality. My lack of interest applies to all of medicine.
destroyliver.jpg

Medicine is a really road to go down if it's one you don't care for. So sorry you ended up on this path bro.

Yep, I loved medicine in school, but actually doing it ruined it. It sucks. Hope it doesn't happen to you.

@abolt18 I sincerely think anesthesia is the way to go if you're interested in CC. You will be significantly more competent in various procedures if you're anesthesia trained opposed to medicine trained.
I think this post is great for those disenchanted by medicine after they're too far in to turn back (inundated by student loans).
http://whitecoatinvestor.com/how-to-punch-out-of-medicine-in-10-years/

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I'm lucky. I have no debt and my wife, who is also a resident, has no debt either. I'll be fine either way. I don't know what I'd do if I had $300k debt, I'm thankful that I don't have to worry about that.
Oh man so make that a 5 year plan haha. Either way I wish you the best of luck and hope you find fulfillment, if nothing else then in your hobbies.

Reactions: 1 user